Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [Archive] Arctic
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2013-09-30, 10:23)mikkelnl Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-09-30, 10:16)Cassiel Wrote: [ -> ]Updated Textures.xbt

I'm sorry to bother, but should we download and overwrite, could you please explain a bit more? Thanks! Smile

The file contains compressed textures from the media/ folder. Downloading the file and placing it into the folder should result in a massive speed bump, especially on slow systems like Atom and RPi.
(2013-09-30, 10:27)Cassiel Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-09-30, 10:16)Cassiel Wrote: [ -> ]Updated Textures.xbt

I'm sorry to bother, but should we download and overwrite, could you please explain a bit more? Thanks! Smile

The file contains compressed textures from the media/ folder. Downloading the file and placing it into the folder should result in a massive speed bump, especially on slow systems like Atom and RPi.

Awesome, thanks!!!
Hi,

since two days i use the dark theme. It looks fantastic and is much more eye friendly!

But is it right, that the lower part of the main menu, there where the clock resists, is in white color?

Is it a bug ? Or if not, is it possible to change the color to one like the dark osd!?

Efty
at least a flag for video aspect ratio in the main view would be good because some HDTV movies regularly have the wrong aspect ratio and have the TV channel logo in the picture.
I also asked for source flags because HDTV videos (especially TV-Shows) are often cut/censored versions while bluray and itunes videos are mostly uncut/unrated.
So when you have those video files and the bluray is released in the meantime you might would like to replace those movies with bluray/itunes versions.
I think the same goes with divx-TV and DVD stuff.

There are good reasons while most skins use these flags.
(2013-09-30, 04:40)jurialmunkey Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-09-27, 20:40)mikkelnl Wrote: [ -> ]Request: when paused, and MENU opened, set default focus to the subtitles-button Smile
I might add an option. The only problem is that I kind of feel that the number of options is already getting out of hand... I'll think about it.

Suggestion; don't make it an option, simply set it as default Smile I think other skins also set it as default and I *think* 99% of the users only enter the menu to go to the Subtitle add-on... Smile

I've used a lot of skins, and I've never used one that had the subtitle focussed by default, or even seen the option to do that. That said, I think it's a fantastic idea, and would love love love to see it, whether an option or by default.

I think a lot of users don't use a subtitle add-on, because they don't know it exists. Having it be just there, readily selected, when menu is clicked would be great for discoverability. I've been trying to teach my dad to use it, who is hard of hearing and stuff with subtitles is very useful to him, but getting to the subtitles addon is tricky for a non-technical user.
(2013-09-30, 15:59)MeMeMe Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-09-30, 04:40)jurialmunkey Wrote: [ -> ]I might add an option. The only problem is that I kind of feel that the number of options is already getting out of hand... I'll think about it.

Suggestion; don't make it an option, simply set it as default Smile I think other skins also set it as default and I *think* 99% of the users only enter the menu to go to the Subtitle add-on... Smile

I've used a lot of skins, and I've never used one that had the subtitle focussed by default, or even seen the option to do that. That said, I think it's a fantastic idea, and would love love love to see it, whether an option or by default.

I think a lot of users don't use a subtitle add-on, because they don't know it exists. Having it be just there, readily selected, when menu is clicked would be great for discoverability. I've been trying to teach my dad to use it, who is hard of hearing and stuff with subtitles is very useful to him, but getting to the subtitles addon is tricky for a non-technical user.

I used Nox and Xperience+ before, and maybe they set the subtitles option as default as soon as you point the skin to the subtitles addon... I guess? Because skins have an option in their settings which lets you point to the addon that should be used. Maybe from that moment on, the skin will default to the subtitle button.... I don't know Smile

I believe Artic also has this 'question' in its Settings, but I'm not sure (not at home a.t.m.).

Anyways; I really noticed this, in other skins I never have to manually select Subtiles, it simply is highlighted by default Smile
would it be possible to have an option to not show logos on the home screen panels? or perhaps tie their visibility to the views > show clearlogo setting already present? i may be in the minority but i actually like the extra space to the right of the plot. if not an option would you mind letting me know what to change to get rid of them on my local copy?
@J

Thanks for the latest update, being able to add logos manually is a massive plus as I can test/try and create a few and see what looks good and/or just remove them if the blank space looks better Smile

Thanks for that and looking forward to seeing whats next.

I other request.
I love the medium + dark OSD for video/movies etc... Is there anyway this exact OSD view could be implemented into the music section too?

It's THE best osd I've ever come across, it's currently perfect!

Well, I have 1 gripe with it...
dtshd-ma logos scroll, I'd would b better if they were just elongated, or were the same as dts logo but with a blue "glow" on them (like xp1080)

But other than tht the medium + dark + poster OSD is flawless (IMO).

Thanks again for this skin, it's truly awesome!
I love this skin, but I'm hoping that a couple options can be added in regards to some of the updates. Instead of having to manually edit guisettings.xml, can we just get an option in the skin settings for the Alaska style fade on the homescreen fanart?

Also, clearlogos were added as part of the skin that look like question marks. Those show up when there is no clearlogo detected for movies/tv shows/etc. Can we also get an option to disable that feature? I'd rather just have the blank space there if I don't have a clearlogo. It looks cleaner and less confusing.

Keep up the great work!
(2013-10-01, 02:42)ghostelement Wrote: [ -> ]Also, clearlogos were added as part of the skin that look like question marks. Those show up when there is no clearlogo detected for movies/tv shows/etc. Can we also get an option to disable that feature? I'd rather just have the blank space there if I don't have a clearlogo. It looks cleaner and less confusing.

those are placeholders until jurial comes up with something better. in the mean time you can delete them from the extras/widgets folder and they won't show up.
Hi Jur
I really like how the skin is growing up. can you ad the dvd extras add-on? My idea is to mod that ad on to insert in the extra folder the soundtrack of the movie. Do you think is possible to insert a list of mp3 of the soundtrack of the movie?
Not sure if this is a recent change or I've just not noticed it before - but I've noticed an overlay on the home backgrounds related to the colour scheme. Is it possible remove the overlay via editing the xml file in the skin colours folder?

For what it's worth I'm using the dark colour theme.
@everyone:
I'm currently in the midst of moving house so I apologise in advance that I can't get to your concerns as quickly as you (and I) would like. Don't hesitate to report bugs and suggestions etc. etc. as usual -- just have a little patience and understand that I'm very busy at the moment. Once I'm settled into my new place, I hope to be able to resume the same level of support etc. as before.

(2013-09-30, 11:58)efty.edge Wrote: [ -> ]But is it right, that the lower part of the main menu, there where the clock resists, is in white color?
Is it a bug ? Or if not, is it possible to change the color to one like the dark osd!?
Can you show me a screenshot? The dark osd has light coloured text also so I'm not sure what you mean?

(2013-09-30, 15:15)neurosis13 Wrote: [ -> ]I also asked for source flags because HDTV videos (especially TV-Shows) are often cut/censored versions while bluray and itunes videos are mostly uncut/unrated. So when you have those video files and the bluray is released in the meantime you might would like to replace those movies with bluray/itunes versions. There are good reasons while most skins use these flags.
I'm not saying that there are no good reasons for showing source flags - just that when its a choice between showing either resolution or source, the resolution is far far more valuable. The main reason why I think this is because the source is not encoded within the file -- the only way xbmc "knows" the source is because of the way the file is named, so if the file doesn't have the specific naming convention that the skin looks for then the source flag will be incorrect or empty. Also, you can already see a video's filename by pressing info and focusing the refresh button ('writer' changes to 'path').

I was thinking about perhaps if the filename has a match for source in the filename then it would show the source instead of the codec and fallback to the codec if no source string is in the filename. However, I'm probably going to replace the codec info with the aspect ratio once I have something I like for it.

(2013-09-30, 16:03)mikkelnl Wrote: [ -> ]I believe Artic also has this 'question' in its Settings, but I'm not sure (not at home a.t.m.).
Anyways; I really noticed this, in other skins I never have to manually select Subtiles, it simply is highlighted by default Smile
Yeah it was a left over option from xperience1080 -- it never actually worked in Arctic and I removed it from the settings a while back. On one of my systems I use a WiiMote as the control so I don't have buttons for pause, play and info on that one so I use the osd controls for those things. I must be in the 1% that opens the osd for the other options Wink

Like I said before, I'll think about it.

(2013-09-30, 16:50)furii Wrote: [ -> ]would it be possible to have an option to not show logos on the home screen panels? or perhaps tie their visibility to the views > show clearlogo setting already present? i may be in the minority but i actually like the extra space to the right of the plot. if not an option would you mind letting me know what to change to get rid of them on my local copy?
Yeah I think that might be a good idea to combine it as one option. I'll make the changes when I get a chance.

(2013-09-30, 21:33)PatrickBateman Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks for the latest update, being able to add logos manually is a massive plus as I can test/try and create a few and see what looks good and/or just remove them if the blank space looks better Smile

I love the medium + dark OSD for video/movies etc... Is there anyway this exact OSD view could be implemented into the music section too?

It's THE best osd I've ever come across, it's currently perfect! dtshd-ma logos scroll, I'd would b better if they were just elongated, or were the same as dts logo but with a blue "glow" on them (like xp1080)
Yeah if you find any fallback logos that you really like, share them here! Like I said before, they are just placeholders at the moment so I'm not really sure what to use there.

Definitely will be adding the medium osd for music, just haven't had a chance at the moment because I've been so busy. I'll also look at the dtshd-ma logo when I get a chance.

(2013-10-01, 02:42)ghostelement Wrote: [ -> ]I love this skin, but I'm hoping that a couple options can be added in regards to some of the updates. Instead of having to manually edit guisettings.xml, can we just get an option in the skin settings for the Alaska style fade on the homescreen fanart?

Also, clearlogos were added as part of the skin that look like question marks. Those show up when there is no clearlogo detected for movies/tv shows/etc. Can we also get an option to disable that feature? I'd rather just have the blank space there if I don't have a clearlogo. It looks cleaner and less confusing.
At the moment I'm worried about adding too much option bloat, hence why I only provided the option as a manual edit. However, perhaps it could go into the 'backgrounds' section of the skin settings. I'll think about maybe adding it there.

For clearlogos: see furii's post a little up. Basically you can just change them to whatever you want -- they are in the skin.arctic/extras/widgets folder. I put them there for this specific purpose.

(2013-10-01, 09:36)magico77 Wrote: [ -> ]Hi Jur
I really like how the skin is growing up. can you ad the dvd extras add-on? My idea is to mod that ad on to insert in the extra folder the soundtrack of the movie. Do you think is possible to insert a list of mp3 of the soundtrack of the movie?
Yeah will do when I get a chance, just been busy at the moment.

(2013-10-01, 11:28)Scottland Wrote: [ -> ]Not sure if this is a recent change or I've just not noticed it before - but I've noticed an overlay on the home backgrounds related to the colour scheme. Is it possible remove the overlay via editing the xml file in the skin colours folder?
If you are using the simple homescreen you can disable the fade by adding the following to the <skinsettings> section of your guisettings.xml in xbmc userdata folder:
Code:
<setting type="bool" name="skin.arctic.home.simple.fade">true</setting>
(2013-10-02, 03:45)jurialmunkey Wrote: [ -> ]I'm not saying that there are no good reasons for showing source flags - just that when its a choice between showing either resolution or source, the resolution is far far more valuable. The main reason why I think this is because the source is not encoded within the file -- the only way xbmc "knows" the source is because of the way the file is named, so if the file doesn't have the specific naming convention that the skin looks for then the source flag will be incorrect or empty. Also, you can already see a video's filename by pressing info and focusing the refresh button ('writer' changes to 'path').

I was thinking about perhaps if the filename has a match for source in the filename then it would show the source instead of the codec and fallback to the codec if no source string is in the filename. However, I'm probably going to replace the codec info with the aspect ratio once I have something I like for it.

cheers on the forthcoming clear logo option. i would like to bring up one point to keep in mind regarding switching codec to aspect ratio that i have. my media is remuxed from blurays so they all have a 16:9 aspect ratio reported by xbmc even though they may actually be 2.35:1 or what have you. i think if i had a choice between the two i'd prefer source to be shown over aspect ratio but i also spend little enough time in the movie info pages and have flags hidden elsewhere that it's not really a huge deal. a guisetting.xml option would not be unappreciated Wink just my 2c.

enjoy your new place!
I tried adding this setting to guisettings.xml but it didn't do anything. Does the setting need to say false?

Code:
<setting type="bool" name="skin.arctic.home.simple.fade">true</setting>