Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [Archive] Arctic
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey JM,

Not sure if my setup is bizarre, but the OSD navigation is all wrong for me Sad

Here is an example:
Pressing "info" while a movie is in progress, brings up tabbed OSD as expected (beautiful) pressing "up" extends the display to reveal the description as expected (beautiful) ... however now, if you press down (which used to hide the description, but leave the OSD in tact) the entire OSD disappears?

It used to go back down to normal size when the user pressed "down" but instead now it disappears?
Is this expected behaviour after the design changes?

Also, When you press "enter" to bring up the navigation menu (play/pause etc) and then you press "info" ... TheOSD does not appear? The navigation menu (play/pause etc) disappears and we are only left with the pause menu (if paused) no OSD at all?

Also, I love the new pass through audio fix, however when OSD is displayed (or movie paused) and pass through is in use, and you press volume, the clocks animate and move to the left even though no data is presented on the right?

Are these minor bugs or is this new/expected behaviour?
Thanks again for the update Smile
@PatrickBateman

-- re: 'down' closing the info rather than making it smaller -- This is on purpose. My logic was that you press 'info' to see info about the movie/episode but you don't want plot spoilers. Then you press 'up' if you want to read the plot. Then after you have read all the info/plot you would want to close the info completely -- by having down close the info it saves having to press down twice. I know it might feel a little weird after getting used to the old behaviour, but it makes sense once you get used to it. I'm happy to change it back if there is some scenario I have overlooked where there is some value in shrinking the info rather than closing it.

-- re: going to info from the navigation controls (play/pause etc.) -- the behaviour that should occur is that the nav controls disappear and the info appears in its place. The info should then act as normal and when you close the info the navigation controls should reappear. I couldn't reproduce whats happening to you -- are you using a custom keymap by any chance? Can you pastebin your keyboard.xml here -- I have a feeling your info button might be mapped to back when the controls are up...

-- re: clocks moving with passthrough audio -- fixed in latest git.

So to summarise: the first issue is expected behaviour, but I am willing to hear reasons to change it; the second shouldn't be happening and I can't reproduce it; and the third is just something I overlooked and should now be fixed.
I have nothing to add other than great skin. Thank you for the work and your openness to new ideas and tweaks. This sits on my xbmc in the living room and guests are always impressed by the setup.

If you ever consider a stripped down lite version for quicker responses on less powerful devices (I have 2 pivos xios boxes as well) let me know and I'll happily be a tester for you.
(2013-11-29, 01:50)dalben Wrote: [ -> ]I have nothing to add other than great skin. Thank you for the work and your openness to new ideas and tweaks. This sits on my xbmc in the living room and guests are always impressed by the setup.

If you ever consider a stripped down lite version for quicker responses on less powerful devices (I have 2 pivos xios boxes as well) let me know and I'll happily be a tester for you.

+1

I have a Xios as well and would love to use this skin but it's a little much for the system. Great skin though!
@Scott00007 & dalben -- maybe in the future, but its a long way off I'm afraid - I don't use any very low powered devices so its not really priority for me at the moment (and would require significant rewrites of the skin -- in reality, to get good performance increases it would probably have to be rewritten from scratch). However, there are some things you can do that might improve the responsiveness of the skin a bit:

Don't set any custom backgrounds in 'Skin Settings > Backgrounds'. Set everything to use the global background and set the global background to the default ("special://skin/extra/backgrounds/01.jpg"). Then set the following options in 'Skin Settings > Views':
-- >> Show fanart - OFF
-- >> Don't fade background - ON
-- >> Show cover reflections - OFF (optional)
Yeah, no drama at all. As long as the main box looks and performs impressively, I can live with lighter skins in the other rooms.

Keep up the good work.
(2013-11-29, 06:12)jurialmunkey Wrote: [ -> ]@Scott00007 & dalben -- maybe in the future, but its a long way off I'm afraid - I don't use any very low powered devices so its not really priority for me at the moment (and would require significant rewrites of the skin -- in reality, to get good performance increases it would probably have to be rewritten from scratch). However, there are some things you can do that might improve the responsiveness of the skin a bit:

Don't set any custom backgrounds in 'Skin Settings > Backgrounds'. Set everything to use the global background and set the global background to the default ("special://skin/extra/backgrounds/01.jpg"). Then set the following options in 'Skin Settings > Views':
-- >> Show fanart - OFF
-- >> Don't fade background - ON
-- >> Show cover reflections - OFF (optional)

Thanks for the tips. I realize that you can't possibly have the time to optimize your skin for every single device that can run XBMC. Pivos is coming out with new, more powerful hardware in the next little while so I am looking forward to getting the most of our skin!
(2013-11-29, 01:29)jurialmunkey Wrote: [ -> ]@PatrickBateman

-- re: 'down' closing the info rather than making it smaller -- This is on purpose. My logic was that you press 'info' to see info about the movie/episode but you don't want plot spoilers. Then you press 'up' if you want to read the plot. Then after you have read all the info/plot you would want to close the info completely -- by having down close the info it saves having to press down twice. I know it might feel a little weird after getting used to the old behaviour, but it makes sense once you get used to it. I'm happy to change it back if there is some scenario I have overlooked where there is some value in shrinking the info rather than closing it.

-- re: going to info from the navigation controls (play/pause etc.) -- the behaviour that should occur is that the nav controls disappear and the info appears in its place. The info should then act as normal and when you close the info the navigation controls should reappear. I couldn't reproduce whats happening to you -- are you using a custom keymap by any chance? Can you pastebin your keyboard.xml here -- I have a feeling your info button might be mapped to back when the controls are up...

-- re: clocks moving with passthrough audio -- fixed in latest git.

So to summarise: the first issue is expected behaviour, but I am willing to hear reasons to change it; the second shouldn't be happening and I can't reproduce it; and the third is just something I overlooked and should now be fixed.

Cheers for the clock fix, update and feedback Smile

I'll get used to new OSD behaviour Smile it'll be fine.
I used to check the OSD for imdb ratings etc, check audio tag, then I'd check the description... Then I'd drop it back down and continue viewing the basic info (and how far I was in/quality/rating/audio/poster etc) to decide if I wanted to keep watching (in cases of shit films)

Also, some of my media is scraped incorrectly (like recently a documentary was scraped as a film) having the OSD to check the poster/rating etc then quickly nudge up to check the description, and then nudge it back down to leave the basic OSD up while I search for the correct details etc on imdb was very useful indeed...

All things very specific to me, I doubt many others feel that need.
Also sometimes, just as I am backing out of the description of a movie (pressing down) the wife would say "did that say...." And I could press up again to go back in easily.
Also on occasion, I like to bounce it up and down when I'm bored and deciding what to do Smile

And I'll check my key map. I use a remote with a key map made by JRs official xbmc remote key map editor plugin. I'll post my key map if that helps later today. I believe it's set to "info" on the editor though?

Cheers Smile
Hi,
Quickie update:
My "info" button is mapped to "info" in the key config file ... How can I manually set it to "i"

When I use the keyboard it works as you say, when I use the remote (mapped to default "info") it doesn't work, so I'll assume any other key map or remote users may encounter this issue?

Can I change my map to point it that specific key "i" rather than "info" as it's thus built in function that appears to cause the issue?

My mod is <g mod="ctrl">info</g>
Can I edit this keyboard keymap to be locked to the "i" key instead and will this affect viewing info of movies etc when scrolling through the library? Adding "i" in replace of "info" doesn't seem to help?
@PatrickBateman

I gather that your remote buttons are mapped to key presses and that your info button is mapped to 'Ctrl+G'. Generally this key combination is what is mapped to the 'Guide' button which defaults to bringing up the navigation controls (play, pause, seek etc.) when playing a video. There is no need to change what keypress the remote is mapped to because we can just change what that keypress combination does instead.

What we need to do is use a text editor like notepad to edit your custom keyboard.xml in the userdata/keymaps directory (on linux it is ~/.xbmc/userdata/keymaps/keyboard.xml on windows it is %appdata%\XBMC\userdata\keymaps\keyboard.xml).

I'm guessing that under <VideoOSD> in the <keyboard> section - Ctrl+G is going to be set to 'Back' when you want it to be set to 'Info'. Either that or its not there at all which means it goes to the default which is 'Back'. If it is there, simply change it to be <g mod="ctrl">Info</g> and save and restart xbmc.

If its missing from the videoosd section then add it in -- i.e. <g mod="ctrl">Info</g>
If there isn't a videoosd section at all then add it in under the <keyboard> section as such:
Code:
<VideoOSD>
  <g mod="ctrl">Info</g>
</VideoOSD>

See here for more details about editing the keymap -- http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=keymap
(2013-11-30, 00:33)jurialmunkey Wrote: [ -> ]@PatrickBateman

I gather that your remote buttons are mapped to key presses and that your info button is mapped to 'Ctrl+G'. Generally this key combination is what is mapped to the 'Guide' button which defaults to bringing up the navigation controls (play, pause, seek etc.) when playing a video. There is no need to change what keypress the remote is mapped to because we can just change what that keypress combination does instead.

What we need to do is use a text editor like notepad to edit your custom keyboard.xml in the userdata/keymaps directory (on linux it is ~/.xbmc/userdata/keymaps/keyboard.xml on windows it is %appdata%\XBMC\userdata\keymaps\keyboard.xml).

I'm guessing that under <VideoOSD> in the <keyboard> section - Ctrl+G is going to be set to 'Back' when you want it to be set to 'Info'. Either that or its not there at all which means it goes to the default which is 'Back'. If it is there, simply change it to be <g mod="ctrl">Info</g> and save and restart xbmc.

If its missing from the videoosd section then add it in -- i.e. <g mod="ctrl">Info</g>
If there isn't a videoosd section at all then add it in under the <keyboard> section as such:
Code:
<VideoOSD>
  <g mod="ctrl">Info</g>
</VideoOSD>

See here for more details about editing the keymap -- http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=keymap

Hi JM
That's exactly as my keymap is set currently.
The key ctrl g sent from my remote, is mapped to "info" but doing this does not function the same as pressing I on the keyboard when the play/pause/etc are displayed on screen. You can test this by adding the key map and using the keys on a keyboard mapped to info rather than pressing "I" on the keyboard it's self? There must be some discrepancy between a key mapped to "info" and the "I" button under certain conditions?

I would assume remote users/keymap users will not experience the new osd options as they appear not to function as expected when a key map is present?

Hmmm Sad
Any ideas?
@PatrickBateman -- I exclusively use a standard hp mce remote control/receiver with only a few very minor modifications to the default keyboard.xml, so it definitely works with a remote. There cannot be any discrepancies between a key on a keyboard mapped to "info" and a button on the remote mapped to "info" because "info" is the action that is sent to xbmc -- keyboard.xml just tells xbmc what action to perform when a particular key or button press is received -- nothing is hardcoded to any particular action -- every action has to be defined either by the user keyboard.xml or the default keboard.xml -- if there is no action defined then nothing happens. So either the info key on your remote doesn't actually send the keypress Ctrl+G at all and sends something else or something is not setup correctly in your keyboard.xml

Can you upload to xbmclogs.com a debug log of you pressing info on your remote when the osd nav controls are up and provide me a link to it. Also, can you upload your keyboard.xml to xbmclogs.com (or pastebin etc.) as well and send me the link. See here (http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Log_file/Easy) if you need help with uploading a debug log.

If you don't feel comfortable posting them on the forum then just send me a pm with them - but they shouldn't contain any sensitive info anyway.
(2013-08-26, 23:04)lysin Wrote: [ -> ]is there any way to pause a movie/tv show to Info screen (showing the cover and access to synopsis)?
Check the latest git. In Skin Settings > OSD, make sure 'simplified seekbar' is turned off (its down the bottom). That will make the poster and info show whenever the seekbar shows (so on pause, fast forward etc.). If you are talking about showing the plot automatically too, its not really possible without adding a lot of messy code that is just going to cause other problems.
[/quote]

Awesome Skin! my favorite!
I'm not sure if I inadvertently changed something but during video when pressing "enter", I only see this "simplified seekbar". It just shows player controls, I have to arrow up to see poster and info. I do not have a "simplified seekbar" toggle option.

Thanks for the awesome skin!
@benbour -- its been removed temporarily, I'm just figuring out how organise the osd options better and in a way that makes sense. It will be back in in a few days -- I'll keep you posted.
What is the largest size channel logo I can fit for the EPG and OSD? Mine are 200*200 but seem small