Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [Archive] Arctic
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2014-01-05, 11:53)sling Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-01-05, 08:12)deletedpenguin Wrote: [ -> ]Looking great jurial. Just a heads up that, on the Video OSD while using the big font, the current time and end time towards the bottom runs together. Love the option to increase the font size.

I'm using version 06.2 with big font and didn't have that problem. The current time and the end time are neatly displayed right at the top of the screen. The duration and total time are displayed at the bottom of the screen. A little too close to each other but does work as expected.

Hmm yeah, looks fine now (agreed, a little close). I'm going to assume it was due to the timing on the program I was watching (Live TV using WMC backend).
(2014-01-05, 12:00)deletedpenguin Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-01-05, 11:53)sling Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-01-05, 08:12)deletedpenguin Wrote: [ -> ]Looking great jurial. Just a heads up that, on the Video OSD while using the big font, the current time and end time towards the bottom runs together. Love the option to increase the font size.

I'm using version 06.2 with big font and didn't have that problem. The current time and the end time are neatly displayed right at the top of the screen. The duration and total time are displayed at the bottom of the screen. A little too close to each other but does work as expected.

Hmm yeah, looks fine now (agreed, a little close). I'm going to assume it was due to the timing on the program I was watching (Live TV using WMC backend).

OK
I myself have sometimes the problem that the timer runs very fast. But I believe this have nothing to do with this great skin but is a XBMC problem.
@Jurialmonkey
Some suggestions http://sdrv.ms/17AAAQx
And a Question
Why do I see in a screenshot around the screen the previous image?
In reality, this is obviously not so?
Do you understand this?
I use XBMC 12.2 OpenElec.
(2014-01-04, 23:38)Talguy Wrote: [ -> ]When I'm watching live tv and I hit the info button (Keyboard 'i' key) the channel number is slightly overlapped on the programs title and description. Looks like the channel number needs to move over to the left a few pixels. I'm not sure which file to edit to make this change but thought I let you know.
I watch livetv on xbmc all the time and have never had this issue. Can you show me a screenshot so I can track down the problem?

(2014-01-05, 00:16)Tripp Wrote: [ -> ]Does anyone know how to bring up the audio controls when a song is playing? I press M but nothing happens.
That should work with default keymap. You could try Enter/OK - I'm pretty sure that brings them up in the default keymap also.

(2014-01-05, 05:29)Tangata Manu Wrote: [ -> ]Now, to contribute with some features I yet have to see in your skin: I can't seem to be able to have VideoExtras add-on working properly though. I tried to install it but it's got an advanced view with a detailed list of extras that actually will never make the cut if it isn't specifically designed for "Arctic" for what I can tell.
Only simple view is currently supported. Just haven't got around to the detailed view yet -- mostly as I need to setup the actual video extras in my library properly to test it.

Yeah the big font is pretty experimental at the moment -- certainly not in its final form, there are a lot of things with it that I'm really not happy with.

(2014-01-05, 19:01)sling Wrote: [ -> ]Some suggestions http://sdrv.ms/17AAAQx
Why do I see in a screenshot around the screen the previous image? In reality, this is obviously not so?
Check latest git. I had already removed the arrows from the info strip, it was just something I was playing around with that shouldn't have even been pushed to the repo -- thats what happens when I'm rushed to push something to the repo, things go in that are not supposed to.

Wont be changing the size of the posters in info strip as it is a standardised size that is used through-out the skin (info wall, thumbnails etc.) plus there is already a bigger poster in the info section of the view. I don't think aligning views with the infotags looks good so I wont do that either -- an offset looks far far better imho. That being said, I agree with you on the width so I've widened the info strip view (its now offset the other way -- i.e. wider than the info tags).

The edges of your screenshot are like that because you are using the wrong resolution for your screen and are using overscan to compensate for it. You need to find out what your screen's native resolution is and set your resolution to that.
(2014-01-06, 01:43)jurialmunkey Wrote: [ -> ]I watch livetv on xbmc all the time and have never had this issue. Can you show me a screenshot so I can track down the problem?

Yea it really shows that you care about live TV in this skin. The EPG timeline is absolutely gorgeous and probably one of the most eye pleasing ones I have seen in the whole industry that includes commercial cable boxes. I'm really glad that there is a skin developer out there that cares about PVR in XBMC. Most seem to hate it and wish it was never a part of XBMC.

The link below will take you too a screenshot of what I was talking about. In my case I set up my Live TV preferences to use my backend channel numbers (aka how they are numbered on a comcast box). So my problem is only when I'm view my HD channels which are 1000+ channel numbers (fox is channel 1008 in my area). With the standard def channels that have 3 digits or less it works just fine. 4 digit channel numbers looks like they just over lap a bit.

Image of Channel Number Overlap

Edit: Forgot to ask but is there anyway I can set my backgrounds on the home screen to be fanart of TV Shows when hovering over TV Shows and the same thing goes for Movies. I just did a search and could find out how to do it. I was able to set custom images for Live TV just fine. In Aeon Nox this was just an option I would choose Called something like "Random Movie" Or "Random TV Show".
(2014-01-06, 01:43)jurialmunkey Wrote: [ -> ]That should work with default keymap. You could try Enter/OK - I'm pretty sure that brings them up in the default keymap also.

I figured out what it is. When I have selected a lyrics addon, it tries to toggle that instead of the player controls. Selecting "none" for lyrics brings back "m" audio controls.
(2013-12-30, 02:42)jurialmunkey Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-12-30, 01:12)Tripp Wrote: [ -> ]Just curious if any progress has been made to enlarge the fonts yet? I had to move to another skin since my new furniture has me further away from the TV. I miss this skin so much!
I've done some work on it - its usable, but not anywhere close to being polished. There are some alignment issues and places where text scrolls or is cut off -- I'm not quite sure what I'm going to do about some of these areas yet, I might have to go with slightly smaller fonts or condense them a bit.

If you want to try what I've done so far I'd appreciate feedback on whether the font sizes are big enough (or even better, if they can go smaller) -- keep in mind that not all areas have been changed, but most views, plots, osd, home menu and info screen have bigger fonts. I'm not going to move onto the other less prominent areas until I can get those ones looking right first.

If you overwrite the contents of skin.arctic/1080i/Font.xml with this http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=xQgTNQZP
then restart xbmc, you should have an option for a "big" fontset in appearance options. I'd really appreciate some feedback on sizes.

(2013-12-30, 01:59)Nablamax Wrote: [ -> ]Tried that, home screen shows "loading" but doesn't show recent items or recommended/random items (everything activated in skin widgets). I'm on Frodo 12.3 and this used to work, can't remember when it stopped working.
I'm on 12.3 also, so its definitely working. On the panel home-screen the loading wheel displays when skin.widgets hasn't loaded yet, so my guess is its something wrong with the skin.widgets addon (rather than the skin). Does it work for other skins?

You could try manually deleting the service.skin.widgets folder from the addons folder and any of its saved packages in addons/packages/ (e.g. ~/.xbmc/addons/packages/service.skin.widgets-0.0.27.zip). Then restart xbmc and reinstall it. If you don't delete the packages when you uninstall or remove an addon, xbmc just uses the saved packages to reinstall it (rather than re-download) -- so if there was some problem with the package (e.g. a file was corrupted) then it will just cause the same problems because its using the same corrupted file. Its a long shot, but a possibility.

I have the recent items problem too lately... skin.widgets activated and reinstalled... dunno what happened
i been playing with the skin view what do you think?

(2014-01-06, 03:00)Talguy Wrote: [ -> ]Yea it really shows that you care about live TV in this skin. The EPG timeline is absolutely gorgeous and probably one of the most eye pleasing ones I have seen in the whole industry that includes commercial cable boxes. I'm really glad that there is a skin developer out there that cares about PVR in XBMC. Most seem to hate it and wish it was never a part of XBMC.

Just wanted to quote Talguy here, because I agree to the fullest. I was using the skin the other day while watching tv, and said to myself, "damn this is one fine looking user interface" Smile
Hi jurial:

Have you ever thought about to add the movie duration in the different views? (Sometimes I choose a movie depending on the duration...)
I know there are some views where this value is shown, but I miss it in some of then (my favourites),

As an example, I like a lot the Black's solution in the "info list" view of Xperience1080.

And as allways thanks in advance.
And of course thaks for the big fonts in the name of 32" TV people... Big Grin
@warlion - i really like that view!!! I think the flag / studio information can still stay down with the date /time. but i do like the logo on top!

@jurialmunkey -- there something funky happening with the visualization screen.
basically, it's not showing up -- or getting hidden.
if I click (M) to bring up the menu screen, it will show up.
if I click on the volume button, it shows up -- for the amount of time that the volume icon is present.

so, i know it's there, and it's working... but for some reason, it is hiding.
@Jurialmonkey
Thanks for the detailed response.
I fully agree with your argumentation. On my test macbook latest git installed looks good arrows are gone and screen is completely utilized.

Indeed the establishment of the hdmi port was not set on full screen. Adapted, now the screenshot match the actual image. Without your indication never found out. THANKS!

another personal question
What do you use to be able to watch live tv with xbmc?
What can you recommend? I am using cable tv
hi jurial,

I am enjoying this skin a lot and I have a few questions for you as well as a few glitches to report. I am using Frodo 12.3 with 0.6.2 of Arctic and the ServerWMC add on for PVR.

First - is there any way to modify the headers so that they just read the category and not the sort method? For example in the image below it reads Movies: Title - can it just display Movies?

Also - not sure if this is intentional but the star ratings for movies go right to left instead of the more traditional left to right. Is this intentional?

Second - when I try to schedule a timer for a recording in the EPG timeline I get the following popup after I confirm the recording. I do not see this on other skins (Confluence, Quartz) and I am not sure what this is as there are no labels.

Third - when I enter 'Show Information' within the Movies category for a particular film things work fine. However if I use a keyboard shortcut to go to the PVR tools (EPG or Recordings) the 'Show Information' dialog never clears - as you can see below:

Many thanks for the best skins I've seen in a LONG TIME!!
(2014-01-06, 03:00)Talguy Wrote: [ -> ]So my problem is only when I'm view my HD channels which are 1000+ channel numbers (fox is channel 1008 in my area).

Edit: Forgot to ask but is there anyway I can set my backgrounds on the home screen to be fanart of TV Shows when hovering over TV Shows and the same thing goes for Movies. In Aeon Nox this was just an option I would choose Called something like "Random Movie" Or "Random TV Show".
Ah I see - I had only accommodated conditions to slide the title over for numbers up to 999 (Australian free to air doesn't even go into the hundreds...) Shouldn't be too difficult to fix. I'll keep you posted.

There is an addon/program that extracts fanart from the library and puts it into folders for tvshows/movies/music etc. but I can't remember what its called at the moment. Basically all you need to do is put the fanart into a folder and then set the background for the respective category to multi image and point it at the folder.

(2014-01-06, 03:35)Tripp Wrote: [ -> ]I figured out what it is. When I have selected a lyrics addon, it tries to toggle that instead of the player controls. Selecting "none" for lyrics brings back "m" audio controls.
Yeah the lyrics addon is a bit of a pain like that. Because it runs as a script (rather than providing the lyrics as an info label) it steals focus.

(2014-01-06, 15:36)warlion Wrote: [ -> ]i been playing with the skin view what do you think?
I wanted to have an option to put the clearlogo at the top but its not feasible because of overlapping with long labels in the now playing info. I like the idea of having an option to hide the labels and show bigger posters instead.

(2014-01-06, 16:52)Maniac Wrote: [ -> ]I was using the skin the other day while watching tv, and said to myself, "damn this is one fine looking user interface" Smile
Thanks!! Glad you like it Smile

(2014-01-06, 18:03)vimarbla Wrote: [ -> ]Have you ever thought about to add the movie duration in the different views? (Sometimes I choose a movie depending on the duration...)
I know there are some views where this value is shown, but I miss it in some of then (my favourites)
Overall I think the year is more useful than the duration in finding a movie out of a list -- what I plan to do for views that show the year in the list is have the # infotag at the bottom show the duration (instead of the year as it does now).

(2014-01-06, 18:48)locomot1f Wrote: [ -> ]@jurialmunkey -- there something funky happening with the visualization screen.
basically, it's not showing up -- or getting hidden.
if I click (M) to bring up the menu screen, it will show up.
if I click on the volume button, it shows up -- for the amount of time that the volume icon is present.
I'm not sure what you mean by 'visualization screen' ?? Do you mean the song info and seekbar etc. that shows on top of the visualization? Maybe you just need to press info (i)

(2014-01-06, 19:25)sling Wrote: [ -> ]What do you use to be able to watch live tv with xbmc?
What can you recommend? I am using cable tv
I don't have cable tv so I can't recommended anything for cable. For Australian freeview (free to air tv via antenna) I use a playtv and tvheadend which works pretty much perfectly on linux. The playtv was made for the ps3, but really its just two dibcom tv tuners in a box that attach via usb.

(2014-01-07, 00:33)jkirk Wrote: [ -> ]I am enjoying this skin a lot and I have a few questions for you as well as a few glitches to report. I am using Frodo 12.3 with 0.6.2 of Arctic and the ServerWMC add on for PVR.

(1) Is there any way to modify the headers so that they just read the category and not the sort method? For example in the image below it reads Movies: Title - can it just display Movies?

(2) Not sure if this is intentional but the star ratings for movies go right to left instead of the more traditional left to right. Is this intentional?

(3) When I try to schedule a timer for a recording in the EPG timeline I get the following popup after I confirm the recording. I do not see this on other skins (Confluence, Quartz) and I am not sure what this is as there are no labels.

(4) When I enter 'Show Information' within the Movies category for a particular film things work fine. However if I use a keyboard shortcut to go to the PVR tools (EPG or Recordings) the 'Show Information' dialog never clears - as you can see below:
1. This is actually a bug -- it will disappear if you turn on the clearlogo in Skin Settings > Furniture > Show clearlogo. I had completely forgotten about fixing this as I have the clearlogo turned on. I will fix this in the next update.
2. Yeah it's intentional, because the empty stars are so faint I thought it looked weird alignment wise the other way around.
3. This is something to do with ServerWMC - I don't use it so I can't test it (I use linux for a start...). You could try deleting "DeleteTimer.xml" and "RecordPrefs.xml" from the skin.arctic/1080i folder as these are dialogs specifically skinned for ServerWMC and maybe there has been some changes since I skinned those.
4. I'll fix this in the next update.
(2014-01-06, 18:03)vimarbla Wrote: [ -> ]Hi jurial:

Have you ever thought about to add the movie duration in the different views? (Sometimes I choose a movie depending on the duration...)
I know there are some views where this value is shown, but I miss it in some of then (my favourites),

As an example, I like a lot the Black's solution in the "info list" view of Xperience1080.

And as allways thanks in advance.
And of course thaks for the big fonts in the name of 32" TV people... Big Grin

movie duration is a good idea, and i still miss media flags for source and aspect ratio.
Is this off the table now?

just wondering.