Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [RELEASE] Chrome Launcher
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47
Honestly guys, if Netflix is so important to you, then you should all just autostart Kodi within a normal Lubuntu session. This works 100% all the time. Instead you are torturing yourselves trying to come with a way to launch Chrome fullscreen within the kodi session, editing source and config files manually, asking the same questions over and over again. Yes it is rather easy to achieve, but if you are struggling and cant make it work, then just use a Lubuntu session and autostart Kodi.
That certainly makes sense Soli. I think the problem is that by default kodibuntu runs without a WM, and people just want their experience to continue with as little change as possible.
Yeah, I know. But if you autostart Kodi within Lubunti, then that *is* as little change as possible.. It only costs a little extra ram, which is negligible unless you have 512MB or less.
(2015-04-23, 02:29)Soli Wrote: [ -> ]Honestly guys, if Netflix is so important to you, then you should all just autostart Kodi within a normal Lubuntu session. This works 100% all the time. Instead you are torturing yourselves trying to come with a way to launch Chrome fullscreen within the kodi session, editing source and config files manually, asking the same questions over and over again. Yes it is rather easy to achieve, but if you are struggling and cant make it work, then just use a Lubuntu session and autostart Kodi.

I think what we are actually doing is contributing to the improvement of the product for the benefit of the community.
Thanks for the answer sblack55. I will maybe try this.

Soli:
Is it very easy to do what you say? And can you use KodiBuntu that is already installed.
And how will Chrome Launcher then work inside this session?
Yes Netflixbmc works perfectly on my chromebox running Kodibuntu. But I use a WM. You should too. Chrome launcher, at least for the time being, isnt made to run without a WM as Chrome won't see "maximize" without a wm, and instead uses the last known window coordinates/sizewhich is bound to f*** up when you least expect it. And espescially if you login into Lubuntu and manually start Chrome and browse around a little.
If I really wanted to use Chrome without a WM, I'd probably just use a startup script that modifies the Chrome *.conf with known window sizes.
For me, I`m most interested in just the Chrome Launcher, but if Netflixbmc is just the same, as you can add your own pages etc that`s nice.

You use a WM, is that the same as Openbox that you can activate thru the script inside Chrome Launcher, or is it something else?

Sorry for asking this much, but its my first time working with Linux/Buntu stuff. :-)
A window manager manages windows, ie placement, size, z order, focus etc.

Kodi just on its own will run fine without one, but try and run something else graphical and there will be problems.

Kodibuntu (if that is what you are using) has a WM, but it isn't running in the kodi session. It does in the lubuntu session. I am not 100% sure which WM is used in kodibuntu, but yeah it essentially does the same thing as openbox, or blackbox, or the zillion of other WMers out there.
(2015-04-24, 10:15)nickr Wrote: [ -> ]A window manager manages windows, ie placement, size, z order, focus etc.

Kodi just on its own will run fine without one, but try and run something else graphical and there will be problems.

Kodibuntu (if that is what you are using) has a WM, but it isn't running in the kodi session. It does in the lubuntu session. I am not 100% sure which WM is used in kodibuntu, but yeah it essentially does the same thing as openbox, or blackbox, or the zillion of other WMers out there.

Yup, running KodiBuntu on my ChromeBox. The Kodi part is working nice.
It is the Chrome Launcher that almost works for me.

Then the question is, how to use the WM that is build into KodiBuntu, to do as Soli is saying?
will amazon instant video work with this also does 5.1 audio work? thanks
Just to reiterate, Chrome_Launcher 1.1.4 (from the alelec repo) works just fine in the kodi session, presenting a full-screen window. Simply edit the window_position settings in ~/.kodi/userdata/addon_data/plugin.video.netflixbmc/chrome-user-data/Default/Preferences to reflect your screen resolution and ensure that top_margin in ~/.kodi/addons/plugin.program.chrome.launcher/default.py is set to 0.
for anyone interested WWE network works with this! i watched the WWE PPV full screen, worked great, im on a chromebox with chrome/openelec i used the browser from within XBMC Tongue
If anyone is still interested in getting chrome to launch fullscreen within the Kodi session without having a window manager installed then you should try what worked for me.

Go to ~/.kodi/addons/plugin.program.chrome.launcher/
and open default.py for editing.
Search for "top_margin" as this is where you start editing. Make sure the code looks like this.
Code:
top_margin = 0
left_margin = 0

with open(prefs, "rb+") as prefsfile:
        import json
        prefsdata = json.load(prefsfile)
        prefs_browser = prefsdata.get('browser', {})
        prefs_window_placement = prefs_browser.get('window_placement', {})
        prefs_window_placement['always_on_top'] = True
        prefs_window_placement['top'] = top_margin
        prefs_window_placement['bottom'] = height-top_margin
        prefs_window_placement['left'] = left_margin
        prefs_window_placement['right'] = width-left_margin
        prefs_window_placement['work_area_bottom'] = height
        prefs_window_placement['work_area_right'] = width

You will also need to set the Chrome Launcher addon to 'Use own user profile'.

This worked flawlessly for me on an Ubuntu 14.10 Minimal install that boots straight into Kodi, no desktop environment installed whatsoever.
Now if I could just get sound to work.
(2015-04-29, 03:41)Schuby Wrote: [ -> ]If anyone is still interested in getting chrome to launch fullscreen within the Kodi session without having a window manager installed then you should try what worked for me.

Go to ~/.kodi/addons/plugin.program.chrome.launcher/
and open default.py for editing.
Search for "top_margin" as this is where you start editing. Make sure the code looks like this.
Code:
top_margin = 0
left_margin = 0

with open(prefs, "rb+") as prefsfile:
        import json
        prefsdata = json.load(prefsfile)
        prefs_browser = prefsdata.get('browser', {})
        prefs_window_placement = prefs_browser.get('window_placement', {})
        prefs_window_placement['always_on_top'] = True
        prefs_window_placement['top'] = top_margin
        prefs_window_placement['bottom'] = height-top_margin
        prefs_window_placement['left'] = left_margin
        prefs_window_placement['right'] = width-left_margin
        prefs_window_placement['work_area_bottom'] = height
        prefs_window_placement['work_area_right'] = width

You will also need to set the Chrome Launcher addon to 'Use own user profile'.

This worked flawlessly for me on an Ubuntu 14.10 Minimal install that boots straight into Kodi, no desktop environment installed whatsoever.
Now if I could just get sound to work.

As I can understand, this is still the Chrome Launcher that is built in to NetfliXbmc?
As I can not fint "top_margin" in my normal Chrome Launcher..
Yes you are correct, it's the Chrome Launcher from the alelec repo. Doesn't seem to require Netflixbmc to work though.

I'm still having problems getting any sound to work. I've got Kodi set to have its sound suspended when Chrome launches and chrome is set to use the correct audio device. When I launch Chrome I can see the audio settings on my receiver change, but when I load a video on youtube it just will not start. The video will load but it will not start playing. Any ideas?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47