Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Best Software To Rip DVD's Into Files ?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello

Wanted to ask experienced users what is the best software to rip these discs. In the passed I used makemkv and handbrake but used default settings Does't bring the best audio / video. Like I ripped Breaking Bad S03 and the audio is aac 2.0 not 5.1 dolby digital.

I would like to find software that rip's the best video / audio. if handbrake does that could users post the best settings as it just following steps how to make it better.

Also what software is best for burning dvd protected discs ?

Thank you
Don't use the default Handbrake settings? It will bring across the correct (best) audio if you configure it properly.
makemkv has a remux option so the quality would be as the orignal
Makemkv isn't bad, I've used it before and works pretty well. If you want to fine-tune the video for mobile devices, try AppGeeker DVD Ripper. It is pretty good.

http://www.appgeeker.com/convert/rip-dvd...4-mac.html
well because he said 5.1 audio i don't think he needs it for mobile devices.
also he wanted the best audio/video
makemkv will give the best results because it simply replicates what is on the DVD, just muxed into a different container. If you don't mind the space it takes up, go no further.

After that, handbrake is indeed your friend. But you need to tune the settings.

Pass the audio through as is.

Use h264 as your video codec (obviously) and choose constant quality. Use RF around 18 (you'll need to experiment what you find acceptable quality).

mkv is the best container.
Handbrake's default settings will result in two audio tracks, one is 2.0 and one is the original multichannel track. XBMC is just detecting and displaying the 2.0 track in the window, but XBMC will auto-select the higher quality track for playback.

Handbrake's "High Profile" setting is going to cover you 90% of the time. I almost never bother setting anything beyond that, except for the occasional need for deinterlacing on older DVDs.
I generally use DVD Fab (Paid Version) to rip the complete disks to folders as they are usually on top of new copy protection schema on new title within a couple of days.

I then use Handbrake to process these folder rips and used to just use audio passthrough to copy across the original audio tracks but as Ned has intimated above, I now create a 2 ch AAC audio track to maintain compatibility across iPig devices and then the passthrough tracks.

I don't use iPigs but I need to do this for the kids unfortunately.....
I agree.. Paid DVDFab is by far the best Rip/dump/transcode there is for Blueray/DVD. Result has to be one large .iso file for dump/rip. Effort/confort ratio is here the best. Otherway is just plain stupid.
(2013-08-12, 10:58)realjobe Wrote: [ -> ]Otherway is just plain stupid.
No need to be offensive...
MakeMKV is the best as it keeps both original video & audio, you just need to select the correct tracks
Thanks for the suggestions guys. As I told you few months ago ripped BB s03 by makemkv used the general normal settings, File sizes are to 1.5gb. This is before I edited with handbrake and it came to dolby digtal 5.1 (3/2+1 - ac3 5.1)

Also checked what Nickr and Ned Scott said. Top line is the normal and below is when I clicked High Profile. And the higher the RF the better ?

My apologies I just have minimal knowledge in this. Isn't there some wiki or a page on the forums about this ? There must be step by steps if you do this option its makes the quality like this. Or how to have great quality with good size under a GB. Have over 100's dvd just want to rip so can add on xbmc...

Thanks
This is not a handbrake forum. They have a very good set of pages describing how to use their software.

However you can clearly see that you are telling handbrake to encode two audio tracks into the file, an aac track transcoded from the original ac3 track, and the ac3 track passed through. If you don't want the aac track, don't create it.

For video you have the constant quality rate set to 20, try 18 or lower (lower is better quality)
I like MakeMKV as I find the mkv container a good starting point for other processing. Note that MakeMKV allows you to select what you want ripped (at least for DVD don't do BD). For re-encoding I like Vidcoder which is a gui front end for the handbrake library. I find it a bit more user friendly than the Handbrake gui.

scott s.