Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Integrating NAS Into Home Media Setup & NAS Uses Beyond Storage?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
So here's another one to the growing list of questions.

Most people appear to keep their HTPC and storage devices separate. When data is acquired through download, how do people do this? Do they use a third system, like a standard home PC and then choose the destination drive as the NAS? Do they remotely connect to the NAS from their PC and use the OS on there to run their torrent programs and download directly from the NAS? Which way is the most practical?
(2013-08-13, 18:58)zeeshanaayan07 Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks for share a great information

Thanks? Haha
It depends on the NAS and whether or not it can run those services. I would think it'd be more convenient to run them on the server.
I run applications SABNZBd on my NAS so it downloads direct to the NAS, I also run CouchPotato and SickBeard on the same NAS so SB or CP send an NZB to SAB and SAB downloads it locally. if I rip a movie I rip t on my laptop and transfer it to the NAS upon completion.
There is also a torrent client for the NAS but I dont use torrents.

I run an unRaid server but Synology and other NAS systems have plugins for these applications as well.
I found my NAS a bit too slow for running the downloading servers directly, and difficult to maintain them. I run the servers on my HTPC under openelec. The way the packages are built for openelec makes it stupidly easy. I have a couple of SSD's in there for the temporary storage of files, which allows them to download and extract/rename/move nice and quickly. The files are automatically transferred to the correct location on the NAS, and then XBMC is asked to update.
So is there a benefit to doing things directly on the server or does doing them on a PC and transferring to the server accomplish the same thing?
depends on if you are doing a homebuilt nas, or a pre-built.

some of the different nas have application centers - ie

. I believe synology also has one. the thing is these pre-built machines are more expensive so that is something you will have to figure out.

here is list of some apps - http://www.qnap.com/useng/index.php?lang=en-us&sn=899
(2013-08-13, 18:20)Living Legend Wrote: [ -> ]So here's another one to the growing list of questions.

Most people appear to keep their HTPC and storage devices separate. When data is acquired through download, how do people do this? Do they use a third system, like a standard home PC and then choose the destination drive as the NAS? Do they remotely connect to the NAS from their PC and use the OS on there to run their torrent programs and download directly from the NAS? Which way is the most practical?

I use a headless PC as a nas - best of both worlds. It runs sabnzbd etc, rtorrent, mythtv back end + heaps of other applications. A lot of programs have their own web interfaces so I access them via that, for the owned that don't I use ssh/vnc. There is a add on for Firefox/android that will send torrents to a remote server so I can add torrents via my laptop/phone.
^^^^^ what he said.

My headless server has windows 8. I use the jump app on my iPad to Remote Desktop it. This gives me touch control and is very easy to use windows 8 because of this.

Sab/sb/cp are running, an FTP server and then you got cloud stuff and transcoding to PS3.

Mines out in the garage and only time I visit it is to put a backup drive into the USB3 dock to do a monthly backup!
I believe and most server/NAS people will agree that once you have taken the plunge and decided to build or buy a server/NAS, the time to set it up properly with the apps/plugins/services that you need is time that you free up for enjoying your home theater with the media being taken care for you by your server/NAS automatically.
I have a synology ds412+. I can confirm it has a pretty robust app store. Makes it easy to maintain and update. They syno is controlled via web interface you log into and it has a "Download Station" app that controls all download streams including torrent, usenet and even web URLs in one interface. I have it set up to monitor a folder on the network so that when I drop in a compatible file in it will automatically detect it, pull it in, and start the download without having to log in. Pretty nice actually. But yes, you do pay for it as opposed to building a NAS yourself.

For download destination, you can set it up to put it anyone on the network. I have it dump to a share on the NAS itself which has all the storage room.

Ernie
(2013-08-14, 14:03)Harro Wrote: [ -> ]I believe and most server/NAS people will agree that once you have taken the plunge and decided to build or buy a server/NAS, the time to set it up properly with the apps/plugins/services that you need is time that you free up for enjoying your home theater with the media being taken care for you by your server/NAS automatically.

So with this said, along with everyone else, building your own NAS, what would your recommend for CPU and RAM if you're going to be running all of these processes in the background along with streaming videos to a couple devices throughout the house?

8 GB and some sort of AMD or Intel Dual core would suffice?

Also, I plan on running unRAID as my OS. Do you guys all run these add ons through something similar or are most people using a different OS?
I'd look at the Lian-Li PC-Q08, PC-Q25 or Fractal Design Node 304 for cases
ASUS P8H77-I motherboard
Celeron G1610 CPU
4GB is probably enough -- nothing here is memory intensive.
For PSU in these cases I use these: http://www.amazon.com/FSP-Certified-300-...B004VF4R4U
(2013-08-14, 15:26)Dougie Fresh Wrote: [ -> ]I'd look at the Lian-Li PC-Q08, PC-Q25 or Fractal Design Node 304 for cases
ASUS P8H77-I motherboard
Celeron G1610 CPU
4GB is probably enough -- nothing here is memory intensive.
For PSU in these cases I use these: http://www.amazon.com/FSP-Certified-300-...B004VF4R4U

I know this may be blasphemy on the XBMC forums, but what if you're running Plex Server on the NAS in order to get easy media streaming out of network? Is 4 GB still sufficient?
I am running a G530 in my Unraid box now with 16 gig of ram which is over the top but hey it was only 60 dollars for it. I run the plex server on mine it does fine for everything up to 720 but the 1080 will not stream over the wireless. I would probably go with between 4-8 gig of ram since most apps are not that intensive.
Pages: 1 2