Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: DLNA source in another subnet
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I searched but couldn't find a thread that answered the question already. I use PPTP for remote access. Yes I know, don't, but it's easy to configure, has a built-in client in windows, and I'm only connecting to my house. When connected I can see multicast packets arriving in a packet capture. However XMBC won't present me with the files on the remote dlna server (serviio and plex) for playback. I know some DLNA clients don't like it when the source is on a different subnet. It doesn't appear that PPTP, is the problem. I also checked and the TTL on the packets being sent is great than 1.

I'm not asking how to get multicast from one subnet to another. I use a Cisco 891 as my home router and I've got PIM sparse-mode enabled. I'm routing multicast over GRE to a couple of places.

Is there a setting, config file, registry edit, command line argument, ritual magic, etc that would allow XBMC to accept multicast discovery of DLNA from another subnet?
upnp is horribly unroutable but seems you know that.bi suspect it will take source level mods..
It's not so much unrouteable so much as most hardware doesn't have the capability to route it. You need some kind of multicast routing protocol and IGMP support. Most people's home equipment just doesn't support it. The multicast routing was the easy part in this case. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't something I was missing. Not to turn this into a routing and switching discussion but a college just suggested outside NAT. I'm going to try that. I'm new here but I assume there's a feature request thread.
After digging into it a little more there seems to be more at play. I don't think it's an XBMC issue. I'm able to discover DLNA sources on a seperate subnet over a GREoIPSEC tunnel. There has to be something in the PPTP that I'm missing. Even though the multicast shows up, XBMC doesn't display it. Back to the drawing board I guess. I'll report success or failure for any interested parties.