Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Android Client for Playback (not remote)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've been poking around on google and in the search thread here, and I haven't discovered any answers. They may exist, and it's likely that I'm not smart enough to understand what I found.

But here's what I'm looking for.

I have a Win7 HTPC running the latest rev of XBMC. It's nicely loaded up with content, and it's GREAT for playing content to my TV over HDMI.

I also own a Nexus 7 tablet and a Mac laptop. I would like an easy way to play content FROM my fat HTPC with XBMC on those portable devices. Additionally, I'd like to plug a rockchip into the bedroom TV to play from the HTPC/XBMC as well.

I tried Plex and it's not really satisfying, particularly since it doesn't seem to consume all formats.

I've seen the XBMC Video Server, and that might be what I'm looking for, but it seems surprisingly immature (someone must have had this request before). It looks promising.

But isn't there an easy client to play XBMC content over a home network to portable / android / mac devices?

Thanks in advance for your advice, and thank you all for creating amazing software and an equally impressive community.[/align]
There are several solutions for android:
- Music Pump XBMC Remote or Yatse allow you to stream Music, Video and TV Shows from xbmc. Depends on your taste which one you prefer.
- Use an upnp app like bubble upnp to stream content from xbmc
Thank you. And now I'm off to try all of these.

Last question for this thread (though this is off topic) but any recommendations for the best way to control the rockchip? From the tablet?
The rockchip is some device running android you plug in using hdmi, right?
You could try to install an upnp app on the rockchip or install xbmc for android and then make the library available from your main htpc over upnp or by mounting the drives in xbmc and then adding the content to the library. If it supports CEC you may be able to control xbmc using your TV Remote or otherwise you can use an xbmc remote app to navigate.