Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: How display movie titles like "A Few Best Men" instead of "Few Best Men, A"?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
XBMC display my movie titles the following way:
Few Best Men, A
Evil Dead, The

Is there a setting in XBMC to display the titles this way? (If there is no setting maybe in some "xml" file?)
A Few Best Men
The Evil Dead
Does it actually display the title literally as "Few Best Men, A" or is it displayed literally as "A Few Best Men" but sorted in "Few Best Men, A" order?
  • If it's the former, then that's probably how you had named the video file
  • If it's the latter, then de-select the setting: System/Settings > Appearance > File lists > Ignore articles when sorting (e.g. "the")
The movies in my folder are named:
A Few Best Men
The Evil Dead

I select the setting you've said, not deselect. Now this movie "A Few Best Men" is named the right way. But when I tick this name, I see the name of the media file (.iso) that is still be displayed as "Few Best Men, A".

Also the "The Evil Dead" is still displayed as "Evil Dead, The", no change here. This movie shows when ticked the movie folder "VIDEO_TS".

Strange I've played with this setting again (after I've updated the library) and now the movies is again displayed wrong and the iso-file is displayed right. Either of I select or deselect that option you've said, and update the library again, nothing changes now. This setting is not working properly.
I can see on your first post that you use Ember so my guess is that you have local metadata but have not scanned your library:
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Vid...d_scanning

After you´ve done this you will have Movies on home screen (library).

It seems like you just use file mode at the moemtn without a library.
Are these movies scanned into the video library and are they shown as "Few Best Men, A", etc. in Library view or Files view? If using Library view, do you have NFO files for these movies where perhaps the title is changed to "Few Best Men, A", etc.?
(2013-08-20, 21:21)miappa Wrote: [ -> ]I can see on your first post that you use Ember so my guess is that you have local metadata but have not scanned your library:
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Vid...d_scanning

After you´ve done this you will have Movies on home screen (library).

It seems like you just use file mode at the moemtn without a library.
I've just updated my post after your post Smile

No, I haven't used Ember yet. The movie folders contain only an iso-file or video_ts folder, no other files like .nfo, ...
I still believe that you are not in your library.
How do you browse to that movie? Do you actually see the .iso file?
If so, you are not in the Movie library, you are in File view.

Choose Movies from home screen (not Videos...).
(2013-08-20, 21:23)artrafael Wrote: [ -> ]Are these movies scanned into the video library and are they shown as "Few Best Men, A", etc. in Library view or Files view? If using Library view, do you have NFO files for these movies where perhaps the title is changed to "Few Best Men, A", etc.?
In videos > library > recently added movies and videos > files > testfolder movies (name of my folder) are they displayed the same way.
Again, you are in file view.
Choose Movies from home screen or Recently added beneath Movies from home screen.
(2013-08-20, 21:31)miappa Wrote: [ -> ]I still believe that you are not in your library.
How do you browse to that movie? Do you actually see the .iso file?
If so, you are not in the Movie library, you are in File view.

Choose Movies from home screen (not Videos...).
Ok. I have choose movie from home screen now. The displayed names are the same. When checking and unchecking "ignore articles when sorting (e.g. "The"), nothing changes when I right click the movies and do "update library".
When in Movies view, open the context menu for "Few Best Men, A" and select "Movie information". What does it display for the movie title? In the "Path" statement, what does it display as the full file path/name for the associated movie file?
Name movies and path:
Few Best Men, A
D:\TESTMAP MOVIES\A Few Best Men (2011)\A Few Best Men (2011).iso

Evil Dead, The
D:\TESTMAP MOVIES\The Evil Dead\VIDEO_TS\VIDEO_TS.IFO
Do you have an advancedsettings.xml (wiki) file in your userdata (wiki) directory? If so, what are the contents of that file?
In this folders "C:\Documents and Settings\ijskonijn\Application Data\XBMC\userdata" and "C:\Program Files\XBMC\userdata" I have no "advancedsettings.xml".
If you don't have an advancedsettings.xml and you haven't created nfo files and you're not using a media manager and you're not naming the actual folders or files that way, then I don't know why your titles are displayed that way (i.e., they shouldn't be).

You can try removing one of those movies from the library (but don't delete the file itself); enable debug logging in XBMC; scan for new content to add the movie back into the library and see if the problem persists. If it does, look in your debug log (wiki) to see what the library scanner was doing when it added back that movie. If you wish for others to review your log, you can upload your log to a public paste site such as www.xbmclogs.com and post the assigned URL here.