Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Trying to run XBMC on Sony NSZ-GS8 Google Internet Player
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello guys,

I am having trouble trying to run XBMC on the new Sony NSZ-GS8 Google Internet Player. As the XBMC app is not on the Android store, I downloaded it through my device and used ES File Manager to install the APK from the XBMC.org site. However, when trying to run the program, it force closes and does not even get to the main XBMC screen. Can anyone help me with this issue?
XBMC does not yet support Google TV.
(2013-08-22, 00:20)lartomar2002 Wrote: [ -> ]XBMC does not yet support Google TV.

Any reason as to why? Isn't it just a program designed to run on Android devices, one which the Google Internet Player is?
Has Google released a GoogleTV SDK ? The answer is no and that is why XBMC does not yet support Google TV.
(2013-08-22, 02:59)davilla Wrote: [ -> ]Has Google released a GoogleTV SDK ? The answer is no and that is why XBMC does not yet support Google TV.

So when the Jellybean update for GoogleTV comes out will a port of XMBC be made? I assumed that all Android apps run on all devices but today I learned lol. I believe they said an NDK (don't know if that is the same as the SDK) will be released along with the Jellybean update for GoogleTV.
(2013-08-22, 04:36)Araneae Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-08-22, 02:59)davilla Wrote: [ -> ]Has Google released a GoogleTV SDK ? The answer is no and that is why XBMC does not yet support Google TV.

So when the Jellybean update for GoogleTV comes out will a port of XMBC be made? I assumed that all Android apps run on all devices but today I learned lol. I believe they said an NDK (don't know if that is the same as the SDK) will be released along with the Jellybean update for GoogleTV.

1) There's no garantee the Sony GoogleTV will get that update.
2) The platform would need to support libstagefright to provide hardware video decoding (not all Android platforms do).
3) The GoogleTV hardware is very low end, even if it were to run don't expect XBMC to run well.
(2013-08-22, 09:55)Starstream Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-08-22, 04:36)Araneae Wrote: [ -> ]

1) There's no garantee the Sony GoogleTV will get that update.
2) The platform would need to support libstagefright to provide hardware video decoding (not all Android platforms do).
3) The GoogleTV hardware is very low end, even if it were to run don't expect XBMC to run well.

Would it be better to return my Sony GoogleTV player then and get something that supports XBMC? I just bought it under the impression that XBMC would run on it and I wanted a device that had Netflix, Youtube, etc. as well, but if there is another device out there that does the things I want better then I'd rather buy that instead.
Follow up: I can spend around 200 max on a device. Been looking around on Amazon and I am looking for a set top box that can support XBMC and runs on preferably Android. Saw a couple for 100 on there but I was looking for something with better specs.
In theory, with the SDK/NDK stuff, XBMC should be able to run on GoogleTV devices, but the device makers might impose their own limitations on stuff. When it comes to Sony... I wouldn't hold my breath. Also, even if theoretically possible to run XBMC on a Google TV device, that's just a theory and there's no telling how long it would take for it to run well.

I'd return it.

Take a stroll through the hardware forum for a lot of ideas. I'm fond of several Intel Celeron options myself, like the NUC (wiki).
Just keep an eye on the official Android NDK page for new revision updates, they release new revisions every other month or so

http://developer.android.com/tools/sdk/ndk/index.html

Look for when and if a new Android NDK revision is released that specifically says "Added Google TV support"

Then, and only then, should XBMC compile with it for GoogleTV devices that have recived the Android 4.2 Jelly Bean update
(2013-08-22, 09:55)Starstream Wrote: [ -> ]The platform would need to support libstagefright to provide hardware video decoding (not all Android platforms do).
Maybe possible to add direct support for vMeta HD Video Decoder hardware engine in XBMC instead, they same way as for Amlogic?

Google TV devices uses Marvell Armada 1500 (88DE3100), an ARM SoC similar to the Marvell Armada 510 (88AP510) used in CuBox

http://www.solid-run.com/mw/index.php/Building_XBMC

See that CuBox already have a fork of XBMC with Marvell vMeta HD Video Decoder hardware engine support, but only under Linux