Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Celeron NUC XBMC 12.2 Playback Issue
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Long time forum reader, recent poster.

I recently upgraded the TV and AV receiver connected to my Celeron NUC running the most recent version of OpenELEC and have discovered a problem involving playback of SD content upscaled to 1080. Native 1080 content works just fine. I originally thought it might be an issue with the NUC not being up to the task of scaling up to full HD output because there were no issues when connected to my old 720 television and, indeed, reducing the output of XBMC back to 720 seems to solve the problem. This thread seemed to be of interest, but it was helpfully suggested that I post a new thread and get Support input.

Possibly related, the MKV files that represent my primary fare don't seem to want to provide HD audio to my HD capable Onkyo receiver (via HDMI from the NUC). Changing to normal DTS or Dolby output works fine, but none of the HD formats seem to put out any sound.

I have not tried (nor am I all that familiar with) the debug tools included with XBMC, so if there are specific settings or files that would help diagnose this issue, I'd be happy to make that happen.

Thanks in advance.
Log file/Easy (wiki) will give you the basic gist of how to get a debug log. Getting a log of when 720 content is having issues outputting to 1080 might give us some clues.
The log file was pretty slick!

Little bit opaque to me though.

Thanks.
Hmm, not sure, but lots and lots of audio errors. I'll poke around and see what I can find out.

Can you post a screen shot or tell us what it says for your audio settings? XBMC -> Settings -> System -> Audio output
Audio is set up to use the HDMI out of the NUC with 5.1 surround and the appropriate output types switched on (LPCM is the only one left disabled). The Audio Playback and the Passthrough are both to the Onkyo receiver.
So I think I fixed the SD playback issue by moving the HDMI output from HDMI2 on the NUC to HDMI1. SD files no longer freeze after a couple of seconds.

HD audio playback still brings only silence. The log below has two events. The first, playing back an SD file after the fix. Looks like a lot fewer errors. The second is attempting to play an HD file through HDMI passthrough, not getting any output, switching to Analog which brings the audio up, and switching back to HDMI with no output.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Log File