Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Installing XBMC causes bootloop
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ive had my ATV2 running 4.1.1 for long time now and its been working great. However the other week I came to use it and it was constantly rebooting itself. It got to the homescreen and then flashed blue and restarted, it did this constantly. However while this was going on though you could still use SSH uninterupted. So it wasn't a full reboot, just restarting frontrow?

BUT if I disconnected it from the internet the reboots stopped. I had NITO TV and XBMC installed only.

I read about beigelist being the cause so I followed the instructions but even after removing beigelist, and anything else I could think of the rebooting still happened.

So then I decided to make a backup of my SHSH blobs, restore to 4.1.1. After restoring everything was working great.
So then I jailbroke it using Seas0npass. That went smoothly and the Apple TV was in a fresh jailbroken state and working perfect. I could SSH and there where no reboots. No NITO TV or anything.

So I then went ahead and installed XBMC only using the instructions in the wiki via SSH.

As soon as XBMC was installed, BAM rebooting, the exact same as before. I tried removing beigelist again and uninstalling XBMC but it still reboots. Again if I remove it from the internet then it will stay on, but thats no good!

The first rebooting as far as I can tell started a week or so ago.

Anyone have any ideas of same experience?
Which version of XBMC are you using? Imo 4.1.1 is to old for xbmc (we at least need 4.2.1, recommended is at least 4.3 depending on the xbmc version)
I'm following the current standard instructions on the apple TV wiki page. So it looks like v12 Frodo.
I'm not doing any nightlys.

It doesn't say any where about its not supporting 4.1.1 or that I need higher. It says from 4.1 onwards.

So your saying I should install an older version?

There's no way of me upgrading now really unless I go to 5.3 but then its teathered....
well frodo was built against 4.2 sdk iirc. So 4.1.1 might work partially but is considered to be unsupported for frodo. I guess the wiki is not up to date on that part.
Are we taking iOS version or ATV software version?
4.1.1 is what shows in apple TV menu . But I think it also means iOS 4.2?
Ok then it is ios 4.2.1 and frodo which would give at least problems when using mysql or smb (because of apple introduced a bug in the 4.3 sdk). Either downgrade to eden or update ios. (though i don't get why the bootloop should be there - maybe you can post a syslog before to pastebin.com and put the link to it in here...)
Ok so this is really strange.

I decided to fully restore again to fresh JB state where it does not reboot. So all logs are fresh, install XBMC let it do the reboot loop and then post the logs so you have fresh logs from the start to the end.

Firstly I restore back to 4.1.1 fresh JB. However this time, its rebooting straight away, without even installing XBMC.

Secondly, I go to get the logs but there's still log entries from BEFORE I did this restore, as in from last year! Shouldn't the restore process full wipe the box. Because of the logs im thinking maybe theres still the broken XBMC software on here causing the boot loop?!

Any ideas how to make sure it definatly is 100% fresh? Maybe I will upgrade to 5.3 and then downgrade back to 4.1.1. Anyway...

Here is the syslog
http://pastebin.com/EhepuTzm
I have removed everything that is not from today.

This is the most recent crash reporter file
http://pastebin.com/vnzg3a3k

If you need any of the other files just let me know. Im guessing that are going to be the same just generated each time it reboots from the bootloop problem.
No clue what is happening there. But XBMC is not even in that game. It crashs and spits out messages like "No cure for stupid". I really have no idea whats wrong but i guess it is something with the JB.
Just to make sure im clear. The crashes are NOT when I open XBMC. Its once I only INSTALL XBMC, so maybe thats why its not in the logs because its never opened or run to begin with.

Im going to upgrade to the latest ATV2 version then downgrade to 4.1.1 to try again to hopefully have a fresh start.
Yes i got ya - xbmc is an addon on atv2 - the log should Show something about it when loading frontrow (when you see the Icon of xbmc on atv2 - alot of code in xbmc has already Run - it doesn't even go that far).

Could you try to remove "updatebegone" this is installed with xbmc - maybe that package is the cause?
I had this same problem although I did not test whether or not it was xbmc related.

I got it fixed so maybe look there is removing updatebegone doesn't work for you.

See http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=130296
Sorry for the long delay in the reply, I just got home from vacation.

So I decided to give this another go. I updated to 5.3 just to give it all a fresh start then downgraded back to 4.1.1 and also jailbroke it with FireCore. Everything went smoothly and this time its all fresh, no old logs hanging around etc.

So I installed XBMC as per the wiki as usual. I rebooted the ATV as per instructions after the installation, when the ATV booted up it said "Waiting for network time" as usual also. I just hit menu and it skipped right past it. To my surprise the system was stable, I was able to get into XBMC and play around and all was great. I rebooted the Apple TV as a test but then it started the usual boot loop again.

So I then I opened up the log and I noticed the first section was ususing the completly WRONG date. Then the rest was using the correct date. So this made me think this might have something to do with the "Waiting for network time" thing.

It seemed like when I skipped it everything worked fine (Im guessing it skipped due to the wrong date and time in the log) but then on the second reboot it got the network time instantly (guessing this is the case as it never showed on the screen the "Waiting for network time" message)...and then the boot loop started again.

Again trying apt-get remove beigelist etc has not helped.

Here is the latest log
http://pastebin.com/cpqc2Uw6

Looks like theres a repeating error, which perhaps is the problem?

Here is the crash report for "AppleTV_2013-09-15-135029_Apple-TV"
http://pastebin.com/d4G78fvA
So an update. I decided to try installing and old version of XBMC maybe pre Frodo just to see what happens.

I restored to 5.3 then down back to 4.1.1 and jailbroken to give it a fresh start. It loaded up fine and was stable. I decided to restart the apple tv before I install anything on it to double check it is stable. After a restart it then went into the bootloop again. This is without even installing XBMC or anything else other than just 4.1.1 and jailbreaking. So it seems like on initial boot its all stable but after the first restart it then freaks out and bootloops.