Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Press ok to change channel with up/down keys
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm pleased to find that XBMC pvr functions are finally working very well and stable (at least with the dvbviewer recording service). Big thanks to all developers!

However when scrolling and changing the channels with the up and down keys it would be perfect if there was an option that channel would change only after you press the ok key. I have used that kind of behaviour with the dvbviewer for ages. Most of the time I just scroll the channels to see what's on and the current behaviour is irrtating at least in my opinion. Of course you can set the delay of changing the channel to few seconds but then if I want to change quicly to the next channel it's not very good solution (and if you scroll the channels and press back, it still changes to the channel you scrolled Confused).

So would it be possible to add same kind of option that already exist for changing the channels with number keys (or combine the option to include the up/down channel change also)?
You can press C to open the PVROSDChannels window to navigate and select a channel (this feature is broken on Frodo for few addons).

My solution was to map the up/down to open PVROSDChannels while ch+/ch- stay the same and for the PVROSDChannels the select button send two action: select the channel and close the window.
If you like I can share my keymap (and a mini script).
There's an option in the settings called "Confirm channel switch" or something like that, see if that helps.
(2013-08-28, 06:17)dhead Wrote: [ -> ]You can press C to open the PVROSDChannels window to navigate and select a channel (this feature is broken on Frodo for few addons).

My solution was to map the up/down to open PVROSDChannels while ch+/ch- stay the same and for the PVROSDChannels the select button send two action: select the channel and close the window.

Yes, I noticed the PVROSDChannels window myself and also made script that behaves similarly and it's ok temporary solution. Thanks anyway.

However it's not perfect in my opinion. The real info osd is much easier to see from distance and also shows for example the next program (using aeon nox skin). Of course this is skin dependent and you could modify the PVROSDChannels skin files to make it better but I haven't had time to do that yet.

(2013-08-28, 19:25)negge Wrote: [ -> ]There's an option in the settings called "Confirm channel switch" or something like that, see if that helps.

That setting only affects when channel switching is made directly through the number keys. My suggestion was that because there already exist the option for the number keys, why not add similar option for up/down keys or combine the option to include them also.
The channels don't change if you browse them from the main window (the one with a video preview). I think that's the reason there's no option for this, you're only supposed to use the channel OSD if you want it to switch immediately.
Yes, of course, I know that. But there would be definitely no harm to add another option too. People have of course many preferencies for these kind of things, there's no one good way that pleases everyone Smile I say this again. If there's already option for that using number keys, why not also for the up/down keys.

I don't think I'm the only one who would be pleased to see that feature.
Perhaps the current setting could be shared so that it also applies to the channel OSD.
(2013-08-29, 11:08)Tuomio Wrote: [ -> ]Yes, I noticed the PVROSDChannels window myself and also made script that behaves similarly and it's ok temporary solution. Thanks anyway.

However it's not perfect in my opinion. The real info osd is much easier to see from distance and also shows for example the next program (using aeon nox skin). Of course this is skin dependent and you could modify the PVROSDChannels skin files to make it better but I haven't had time to do that yet.

I agree and I would like this feature also but not a as setting but as an action.
Meaning you will have two actions (sorry if this overdetailed):

1. Ch+ action: open the osd, tune to the next channel on the list and auto close the osd after a predefined number of seconds.
I would prefer mapping this action to the Ch+ button on my remote.

2. OSD+ action: open the osd, change the displayed channel info in the osd to the next channel and auto close the osd after a predefined number of seconds.
When the osd is opened another OSD+ action would just change the displayed channel info in the osd to the next channel and the Select action would initiate tuning to a the displayed channel on the osd and another timeout to close the osd.
I would prefer mapping this action to the Up arrow button on my remote.

This is how all the local premium sat/cable services' set-top boxes (and remotes) on my area are set.

The whole thing was discussed before at http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=145145
(2013-08-28, 06:17)dhead Wrote: [ -> ]You can press C to open the PVROSDChannels window to navigate and select a channel (this feature is broken on Frodo for few addons).

I've been trying to do the exact same thing. How do you bind a button to 2 actions (select and close)? Could you share the keymap and mini script?