Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Adding A Video Card - What To Swap Out? What To Get?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've decided to get into light PC gaming - by that i mean games that are a few years old (Deus Ex Human Rev) or not particularly heavy graphic dependent (Civ5). So, I'd like to add a video card. The trouble is that my rig won't really house one (link in sig). So i'm left with some decisions to make ...

I could perhaps find a new fan or perhaps change Mobos/Case. From a heat dispersion perspective, i'm *thinking* a new case would be the wise move ... but I'm not sure if that's the case. So what do y'all thing would be a better move? New fan or new mobo/case?

Also, any advice for a decent but relatively inexpensive mini video cards? Doesn't need to be latest and greatest, i just want to be able to keep my games from crashing due to inadequate hardware.
No love huh?
Can you add a half height card in there?
(2013-08-29, 08:08)nickr Wrote: [ -> ]Can you add a half height card in there?

The mobo has a PCI express slot; however,the fan that I use blocks the port. Another thought was to rig an extender in there and then connect the card to an extender ... of course that still creates problems with getting the HDMI cord hooked up - but again, i'm just trying to see if someone on here who has a better understanding of this stuff has a great solution that i'm not aware of.
Problems of buying a small case to start with I guess Sad
(2013-08-29, 23:09)nickr Wrote: [ -> ]Problems of buying a small case to start with I guess Sad

Yeah, but the fan is also a problem here - there's actually some room on the other side of the case where if i can somehow figure out how to get a slot extender cable and not block the fan, i might be able to mount something over there.
Sounds like a new case to me, things must be pretty crowded in there.