Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: HD6450 locked to 30Hz in XBMCuntu
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm using an HP ProLiant MicroServer to run XBMCuntu and after readingConfused several forums I bought an Asus HD6450 to give it a bit more grunt for playing videos. I haven't been able to find anyone else with the same setup having issues so I assume I'm making a stupid mistake.

In the Preferences section of the quick menu there are two shortcuts to AMD Catalyst Control Center, one has the suffix (Administrative). I've used the one without to try to setup the graphics card but many of the options are greyed out. Even though it detects that my TV can support 85Hz it is locked to 30Hz which looks terrible. I assume that running the Administrative version of the same link would give access to more options, however when I click on the link nothing happens.

I'm not really sure what level I need to be looking for help on, whether it is a: linux user account issue, graphics card driver issue, hardware issue (lack of power, etc). Any pointers would be much appreciated, especially so that I don't go spending hours trying to compile custom drivers only to find out I'd made a small mistake somewhere.
You should probably follow this guide: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=116996

Hate to say it but you really should have bought an Nvidia card instead.
Is there no other advice? I don't really want to compile custom drivers unless I've ruled out everything else. Especially ones that don't let me watch MPEG-2 encoded videos.

Which user account should I try to make graphics card changes with and is there any other way of opening Catalyst in Administrative mode? This is an uninformed opinion, but I wouldn't be surprised if I was having obscure graphical glitches when watching videos or something but simply not being able to open a fairly simple piece of software seems a poor reason for buying a different graphics card.
heh? where in that howto do you see anything about compiling custom drivers? You already do run fglrx, which already doesn't decode mpeg2....
Hmm.. Oo I don't know what I was talking about, I'd convinced myself that I'd read that somewhere. Whole process looks substantially easier than I thought. Didn't know that about MPEG-2. It's been a long week, I'll get some sleep and not bother you again Sleepy

(would still be nice to know about whether I should give up trying to run Administrative version of Catalyst and just go straight down Xvba route)