Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Help with TV Show nfo's
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
My first TV Show and I can't get it to display correctly. TVDB doesn't list this show with the same episode count as the BlueRay so I'm trying to set up the nfo manually but something is wrong. Here is what I'm seeing-

Here is the file structure-

Here is the contents of the S01E01 nfo file-
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes" ?>
<xbmc_compatible_nfo xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema">
    <episodedetails>
        <title>In The Beginning</title>
        <rating></rating>
        <season>1</season>
        <episode>1</episode>
        <plot>Noah endures God's wrath; Abraham reaches the Promised Land but still must prove his faith in God; Moses leads the Israelites out of Egypt, and his faith in God is rewarded when the Red Sea parts to allow the Israelites to escape Pharaoh's chariots; Moses delivers his final message from God-the Ten Commandments.</plot>
        <aired>2013-03-03</aired>
        <studio>History Channel</studio>
        <mpaa></mpaa>
        <epbookmark></epbookmark>
        <displayseason>-1</displayseason>
        <displayepisode>-1</displayepisode>
        <artist>
            <name>Kieth David</name>
                 <role>Narrator</role>
          </artist>
        <artist>
            <name>Darwin Shaw</name>
            <role>Peter</role>
        </artist>
        <artist>
            <name>Diogo Morgado</name>
            <role>Jesus Christ</role>
        </artist>
        <artist>
            <name>Roma Downey</name>
            <role>Mother Mary</role>
        </artist>
        <artist>
            <name>Andrew Scarborough</name>
            <role>Joshua</role>
        </artist>
        <artist>
            <name>Paul Brightwell</name>
            <role>Malchus</role>
        </artist>
        <artist>
            <name>Greg Hicks</name>
            <role>Pilate</role>
        </artist>
        <artist>
            <name>Sebastian Knapp</name>
            <role>John</role>
        </artist>
        <artist>
            <name>Amber Rose Revah</name>
            <role>Mary Magdalene</role>
        </artist>
        <artist>
            <name>Adrian Schiller</name>
            <role>Caiaphas</role>
        </artist>
        <artist>
            <name>Andrew Brooke</name>
            <role>Antonius</role>
        </artist>
        <artist>
            <name>Louise Delamere</name>
            <role>Claudia</role>
        </artist>
        <artist>
            <name>Matthew Gravelle</name>
            <role>Thomas</role>
        </artist>
        <artist>
            <name>Simon Kunz</name>
            <role>Nicodemus</role>
        </artist>
        <artist>
            <name>Joe Wredden</name>
            <role>Judas</role>
        </artist>
        <artist>
            <name>William Houston</name>
            <role>Moses</role>
        </artist>
        <artist>
            <name>Fraser Ayres</name>
            <role>Barabbas</role>
        </artist>
        <artist>
            <name>Jake Canuso</name>
            <role>Daniel</role>
        </artist>
        <artist>
            <name>Khalid Ben Chegra</name>
            <role>Phicol</role>
        </artist>
        <artist>
            <name>Paul Marc Davis</name>
            <role>Simon</role>
        </artist>
        <artist>
            <name>Sam Douglas</name>
            <role>Herod</role>
        </artist>
        <artist>
            <name>Paul Freeman</name>
            <role>Samuel</role>
        </artist>
        <artist>
            <name>Michael Legge</name>
            <role>Stephen</role>
        </artist>
        <artist>
            <name>Francis Magee</name>
            <role>Saul</role>
        </artist>
        <artist>
            <name>Fintan McKeown</name>
            <role>Abimelech</role>
        </artist>
        <artist>
            <name>Nick Moss</name>
            <role>Ananias</role>
        </artist>
        <artist>
            <name>Con O'Neill</name>
            <role>Paul</role>
        </artist>
        <artist>
            <name>Mohamen Mehdi Ouazanni</name>
            <role>Satan</role>
        </artist>
    </episodedetails>
</xbmc_compatible_nfo>

I'm not sure if the problem is with the code itself or the file name? The nfo file was provided by the owner of the tvdb website, I didn't write it.
There is a setting inside the XBMC TheTVdb scraper to have DVD order, when checking theTVdb you can specify aired disk or absolute order http://thetvdb.com/?tab=seasonall&id=265720&lid=7 and from what I can see there seems to be only 5 episodes listed under that title. To to do this properly you need to have the 'exact' name as listed on the database as the name of your folder, and the episodes should match up, best practise is to name your episodes as listed in TheTVdb and then season and episode desgnations... e.g The Bible s01e01 beginnings.mkv

http://thetvdb.com/?tab=advancedsearch

I your case, it looks like you'll need to join TheTVDB and do some of the heavy work so others can enjoy your listings and descriptions on a scrape.
Thanks. Actually I've already joined. Couldn't modify this show though. Evidently there was a fair amount of disagreement over the proper number of episodes for "The Bible" so the owner of TVDB locked it and told everyone complaining to "Bugger Off".Big GrinBig Grin

I was using an NFO file he had provided for anyone who wanted to show the show with 10 one hour episodes instead of the 5 double episodes that TVDB has listed. The NFO had a few syntax errors though apparently.
Code:
<artist></artist> does not seem to work.
Needs to be
<actor></actor>

Honestly, after working on this one show for about 8 hours re-writing all the nfo's and downloading actor thumbs I have come to the conclusion it would have been a lot easier to just re-mux the videos to match tvdb's listing. Now the only trouble I'm having is that xbmc sometimes ignores my NFO for "Director" and"Writer" and uses the scrapped info. Haven't figured out why yet?
I wasn't aware of the locked issues, but have heard some grumblings... (politics are everywhere I guess http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=139076&page=2). The best solution would, as you are doing making your own .nfo but during a scrape if this information is present, XBMC should offer a local found and use that and not exit for a web scrape.

I personally just can't keep up with all the TV stuff, especially the BBC shows and just use filemode in a slush folder. But it's the details like yours that eventually will lead to a better system, just don't hold your breath.
Yeah. TVDB has a real problem with series that air one way and are released on disk with a different number of episodes. I saw some comments about a new db structure they are working on that will allow users to enter multiple listings for the same seasons, but for now I guess they are being very strict about the listings matching the "Aired" version.

Not sure what's going on with my xbmc. I was making a lot of changes last night experimenting with different syntax in my nfo's and I would re-locate the video file out of the source and the clean my video's (system>video>clean library) but the video would still be shown under TV Shows. I would then have to use the contextual menu and remove it. After I made the changes and put the video back in the source folder xbmc wouldn't always use all the local info. There has got to be an easier way to do this?
You have a pretty good grasp of the TV library and how it's handled. In that one case, there was an issue (might not be the only one) but for the main XBMC scraping is pretty easy as long as the name, season, episode are handled well. Using the system library clean-up gets rid of the dead extras . I'm not sure of the issue you have but it would seem that once you have a good working library, it will all shape up.

I do recommend www.therenamer.com/‎ a drag and drop renamer that uses the same database (drag & drop whole folders/series/movies too) cleans up most of the naming issues. Then there's adding regex to your XBMC configuration will match more TV shows than XBMC will by default. http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=51614 but I've never used it.
Just started my second TV Show. It's locked too.Big GrinBig Grin Can't win.
Can I do a partial nfo just to add the episode details that are missing on TVDB? Something like-
Code:
<episodedetails>
   <director>John Doe</director>
   <credits>Jane Smith</credits>
</episodedetails>
http://thetvdb.com/?tab=episode&seriesid=74372&seasonid=7343&id=144097&lid=7
The examples in the wiki's should be good enough to fill in the blanks... and be able to scrape in local. I use the notepad++ (using the XML language for fast custom edits) for my editor. Just cut & paste the examples and fill in what you can, just leave no space between the brackets if you don't have the information and that line will be blank.

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=NFO...V_episodes
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=NFO_files/TV_shows
Thanks. Was hoping I could do it like a movie with my custom xml data and a url so that the rest would get scraped but I guess I can't use a url with episode nfo's.