Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: When to use CEC adapter?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I have a question about whether or not to use a CEC adapter. I have a TV which supports it, and it's going straight to my HTPC. I see that Pulse-eight has one of these but would I need that in a case like this?
If your HTPC doesn't have it. You need to buy one.

If your HTPC is a pi. Then you don't need one as its built in.
Agree - it depends on your HTPC. Most PCs don't have something built in, though (I didn't know the Pi had, so shame on me), which is where the CEC adapter comes in.

I only have experience of the USB device, however, so can't comment on the practicality of the internal unit. Can't see why not if you've a compatible motherboard ("Designed for Intel DH61AG, DH77DF, DQ77KB and DN2800MT mainboards").
I just bought 1 other day , nice little device, some functions don't work yet but I not got round to looking into it fully yet
Have a look at flirc as well.
I've got a Pi. Good to know. Unfortunately it's on a TV that doesn't have CEC
Anyone else disamayed that the Pi costs less than the pulse-eight adapter?
Maybe not the correct topic to ask this but what if all devices support it, how do i use it then?
My TV supports it so does my RPi but no way i can get it to function.
(2013-08-29, 20:12)kruuth Wrote: [ -> ]Anyone else disamayed that the Pi costs less than the pulse-eight adapter?

Why? You don't need one if you have a pi!

(2013-08-29, 20:23)schumi2004 Wrote: [ -> ]Maybe not the correct topic to ask this but what if all devices support it, how do i use it then?

Have you enabled it on your telly? Got it wired in the correct HDMI socket in your telly?
(2013-08-29, 20:12)kruuth Wrote: [ -> ]Anyone else disamayed that the Pi costs less than the pulse-eight adapter?

At a guess, that's probably an economies of scale issue.
Is there a list of devices out there that have cec?
(2013-08-29, 22:39)kruuth Wrote: [ -> ]Is there a list of devices out there that have cec?

Partial list in the link in Prof Yaffle's post on previous page.
CEC hides - Vieralink, Bravia Link, Anynet+. Basically, most TVs that come from manufacturers who also sell DVD and PVR systems that talk to each ... well, they're using CEC. Start there. If you bought your TV at the same time as some frozen peas, chances are you're more likely to get grief.

The Pulse8 forums are a good place to look for specific models. Not everything works every time, but most of it works a lot of the time, especially for the basic functions. I gave up on my LIRC remote and am exclusively CEC now (well, apart from the odd Yatse moment).
(2013-08-29, 20:23)schumi2004 Wrote: [ -> ]Maybe not the correct topic to ask this but what if all devices support it, how do i use it then?
RTM http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=CEC
Somewhere I recall reading that the Pulse 8 device doesnt work very well with Windows 8. Any experiences?
Pages: 1 2