Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Network cabling - advice needed!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

I'm unsure where to post this (what website? either) - but as its to connect my HTPC running XBMC to my network I thought I'd try here...

... I'm trying to connect my living room PC to my upstairs network, I found a blank panel in the wall of my living room and when I opened it I found a cable which has two twisted pairs in it - blue and a white cable along with orange and a white cable.

After a bit of Googling - I believe this is a Cat 2 network cable (I think).

http://www.topfreebiz.com/product/292736...n-Wire.htm

I don't know much about networks, but is this cable any good, would my router like it?, I want to access my upstairs computer which has film and pictures on it.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.
You want at least cat5. Good thing about a cable already existing is you might be able to use it to pull a new one through.
Cat2 is what you'd use for telephone.

If you can't install a cat5e cable then have a look at homeplugs. If you're contemplating media streaming. Don't use wifi.
(2013-08-29, 21:50)jammyb Wrote: [ -> ]Cat2 is what you'd use for telephone.

If you can't install a cat5e cable then have a look at homeplugs. If you're contemplating media streaming. Don't use wifi.

Yea - wifi is what I'm currently using and I'm fed up with it dropping out. I've tried Homeplugs too they were only slightly better than wifi...
What were the homeplugs you tried. For better results. Look at spending a little more on 500mbps homeplugs.

You'll find the speed more stable and the range greater.
The 2 pair cable would not be suitable for data networking.
I gave up on wifi and moved to homeplugs myself for rooms I couldn't run Cat-6 to.
If you can pull a cable from your upstairs to where your HTPC is run a CAT-6 or Cat5e cable and you will be set.
yea - I did buy rather cheap ones!

I think my first option will be to try to get a Cat 6 cable through somehow - as cwide mentioned - by using the cat 2 to pull it through.

Anyone know of a method of tracing a network cables route through a wall - I'm unsure if the where the cable goes...
you can get a tone generator and put it on the wire and try and find the tone on the other end...
(2013-08-29, 22:16)archie456 Wrote: [ -> ]yea - I did buy rather cheap ones!

I think my first option will be to try to get a Cat 6 cable through somehow - as cwide mentioned - by using the cat 2 to pull it through.

Anyone know of a method of tracing a network cables route through a wall - I'm unsure if the where the cable goes...

When running my cables I had the great fortune of an unfinished basement. Even a crawlspace wouldn't be too bad to get in and see where stuff runs. You are only really out of luck if everything is finished. The problem with the Cat 2 cable is it is probably stapled every so often, so it might be difficult to use for pulling your cat 6 through. Let me tell you, it is worth the hassle if you own your home to start running some cables in a semi-professional way.

Check monoprice.com for some great deals on cables and wall plates.