Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Ember Media Manager 1.4.x BETA - Discussion Thread
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2016-02-17, 13:11)MoBO Wrote: [ -> ]Dear DanCooper,

Thanks for your work so far. I might have missed something and I have been unable to find an answer to my question why you don't compile new version anymore.
There should be a great reason for that but it make me a little bit sad. You used to share with "all of us" all your great work and now it seems to be accessible only to people who have skills (or want to take time to compile it).

I'm working with the old one, still working fine but I prety sure new functions and fixes have been done.

If there is not other way, I will do it the "new way" even if I disagree a little bit on this approach (again, so far from your itinial sharing process).

Excited to see news coming. Thanks again.

Oh, the new version will be available as compiled/installer version if it's done. But atm we have to test some new features and still do bug fixing.
I've write the tutorial only for users that want test or improve the latest state from source code.
(2016-02-17, 13:11)MoBO Wrote: [ -> ]Dear DanCooper,

Thanks for your work so far. I might have missed something and I have been unable to find an answer to my question why you don't compile new version anymore.
There should be a great reason for that but it make me a little bit sad. You used to share with "all of us" all your great work and now it seems to be accessible only to people who have skills (or want to take time to compile it).

I'm working with the old one, still working fine but I prety sure new functions and fixes have been done.

If there is not other way, I will do it the "new way" even if I disagree a little bit on this approach (again, so far from your itinial sharing process).

Excited to see news coming. Thanks again.

I felt the exact same way. I decided to go ahead and try out compiling the new alpha a few days ago and failed. I kept getting errors. I decided to wait, but was getting antsy yesterday and tried again...with success! Go slow and read the directions. Other than downloading/installing the visual studio free edition, it literally takes about 30 minutes to get everything compiled and running. It is worth the hassle of compiling it yourself! I'm currently adding my movies to the new nightly and am soooo happy!

Please feel free to send me a PM if you have questions or need help with the compiling!
With releasing a new version, there are generally going to be bugs. I'd rather see one once in a while than one every time I do anything. It's important to me to have stability over rushed cool features. I've seen a few updates rolling through, and in each version something broken gets fixed. It also doesn't help that websites so frequently change the way users are able to get images and content.

I say if the version you use now works fine, that's great. Just be patient and marvel at the enhancements when they come in. I think we're all a little spoiled with Kodi getting new full builds non-stop now that we expect everything else to move just as fast.

Also. as always, thanks DanCooper for keeping this sweet project rolling and taking input from the users to make it stronger.
Still there are a lot of broken things in the current last official beta release, of which some are quite nasty (e.g. tv show scraping).
While I do understand the wish of Dan and his team to not release an unfinished build, it still would have been nice to at least get a version released in between - without tons of new features but some major bugs fixed.

For me, the last released version is nearly unuseable, as tv show scraping is taking ages (e.g. having to rescrape the whole show with 10+ seasons including the following file update).
I'm at the point, where I let Kodi handle the tv show scraping in background and use EmberMM for movies only, which works pretty well if you know which buttons to avoid.

Just my two cents, keep up your good work and maybe we will see a release within the next months.
(2016-02-18, 08:45)McButton Wrote: [ -> ]With releasing a new version, there are generally going to be bugs. I'd rather see one once in a while than one every time I do anything. It's important to me to have stability over rushed cool features. I've seen a few updates rolling through, and in each version something broken gets fixed. It also doesn't help that websites so frequently change the way users are able to get images and content.

I say if the version you use now works fine, that's great. Just be patient and marvel at the enhancements when they come in. I think we're all a little spoiled with Kodi getting new full builds non-stop now that we expect everything else to move just as fast.

Also. as always, thanks DanCooper for keeping this sweet project rolling and taking input from the users to make it stronger.
well said...
Hello All,

just to clarify, I guess we all understand this application is still in beta phase and bugs are part of it.
If anything goes wrong or do not work on latest version, we can always rollback the the previous one !

The idea was simply to avoid forcing everyone to build it locally...

I guess new version could come with some testing requests that everybody could answer.
I do agree, not everyone will answer but I guess this will increase to "beta testers".

Personaly, I will be please to report issue on functions I do use (since I don't use all avaialable).

I love this tool. Really. Such a great work done.
(2016-02-18, 14:12)Cy4n1d3 Wrote: [ -> ]Still there are a lot of broken things in the current last official beta release, of which some are quite nasty (e.g. tv show scraping).
While I do understand the wish of Dan and his team to not release an unfinished build, it still would have been nice to at least get a version released in between - without tons of new features but some major bugs fixed.

For me, the last released version is nearly unuseable, as tv show scraping is taking ages (e.g. having to rescrape the whole show with 10+ seasons including the following file update).
I'm at the point, where I let Kodi handle the tv show scraping in background and use EmberMM for movies only, which works pretty well if you know which buttons to avoid.

Just my two cents, keep up your good work and maybe we will see a release within the next months.

The problem is that we never have saved a new release to a new branch on GitHub. So we wasn't able to only fix something on latest release and compile a hotfixed version, we was only able the compile the latest stand of source code. And sometimes the latest source was too far away from latest release to release a new version.

But with next release we will create a new branch and then we should able to release a fixed version without all newer (or hard core) changes on source code.
(2016-01-18, 21:00)JanM201 Wrote: [ -> ]Hi Dan,

Thanks for a fantastic program, you guys do good work. When I open up Ember I can see the pictures dimentions for a movie but the Fanart, Clearart & Disc art headings are not showing on the right hand side. Any reason for this? See below:

Any help would be appreciated.
Hi Guys,
Dan looked at this & he showed me that his images was showing correctly. He couldn't tell me however why mine was not showing correctly. Maybe somebody also
encountered this problem & know a solution. Maybe the framework I installed was wrong. I've installed Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5.2

Any help would be appreciated.Huh
(2016-02-19, 18:10)JanM201 Wrote: [ -> ]Dan looked at this & he showed me that his images was showing correctly. He couldn't tell me however why mine was not showing correctly. Maybe somebody also
encountered this problem & know a solution. Maybe the framework I installed was wrong. I've installed Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5.2

The first and only thing that I can think of is the setting for what images types to show, all types isn't visible by default.
It's in general, the very first screen when opening settings
(2015-10-02, 20:03)DanCooper Wrote: [ -> ]It's possible to add folders to ignore while scanning. Simply add this row to AdvancedSettings.xml and add your folder names (this is the default one):
Code:
<Setting Section="*EmberAPP" Content="None" Name="NotValidDirIs" DefaultValue="">extrathumbs|video_ts|bdmv|audio_ts|recycler|subs|subtitles|.trashes</Setting>

Simply add |extra if you want disable scanning folder named "Extra":
Code:
<Setting Section="*EmberAPP" Content="None" Name="NotValidDirIs" DefaultValue="">extrathumbs|video_ts|bdmv|audio_ts|recycler|subs|subtitles|.trashes|extra</Setting>

I'm running 1.4.7.2 and my advancedsettings.xml in the "Settings" folder has no such section, and I have a slightly different situation, also with the VideoExtras addon. I'm using file "tagging" with -extras- in the filename as I don't use separate folders for each movie. How can I persuade EMM to ignore movies with -extras- in the filename?

In fact, can someone point me to a list of all the EMM settings that can be configured by editing the advancedsettings.xml file? I suspect there are other useful things lurking in there.

TIA!
(2016-02-19, 18:10)JanM201 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-01-18, 21:00)JanM201 Wrote: [ -> ]Hi Dan,

Thanks for a fantastic program, you guys do good work. When I open up Ember I can see the pictures dimentions for a movie but the Fanart, Clearart & Disc art headings are not showing on the right hand side. Any reason for this? See below:

Any help would be appreciated.
Hi Guys,
Dan looked at this & he showed me that his images was showing correctly. He couldn't tell me however why mine was not showing correctly. Maybe somebody also

Just figured out what the problem was. I went to Control panel>Display in Windows 7 & changed the setting to Smaller - 100%(default) instead of Medium - 125%
That did the trick & everything is displaying correctly now. Hope this help if someone ever encounter the same problem.Laugh
(2016-01-21, 11:37)DanCooper Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-01-21, 01:15)sanjonny Wrote: [ -> ]strange issue on rescrape/manual db update.

I have several different network locations for files. I decided to move several shows from one location to another, essentially the V drive to the T drive but I think they are seen as NSA325\others\torrents\tvshowname to NSA320\others 2\torrents\tvshowname.

Shows that showed up fine before like 12 monkeys and 24 live another day used to show up, but when moved/deleted from db and then rescanned the new location, they do not show up in the list. But Falling Skies which was also moved to the new location, does show up and when deleted it shows up again and again. Im wondering if its something to do with my network location changes or if its because they start with numbers or what? Im still trying to figure it out, but when I use the update DB for the new location, 12 monkeys and 24 live another day DO NOT EVER show up and Falling Skies does show up every time. I tried deleting from the DB faliing skies (rightclick, remove from database, delete) and it rescans it correctly every time, but does not ever pick up 12 monkeys or 24.

One codicil I will mention is that a couple of locations of others. For example I have some tvshows in a location others 2 in NSA320\others 2\tvshowname
and some shows in torrents 2 location NSA320\others 2\torrents\tvshowname. I have this other places on the network and it has not been a major problem but just in case because one location is inside another, wanted to mention it.

Thanks in advance for your help. Also i tried both including and excluding the nsa320 location from automated DB updates, did not change behavior, also cleaned the DB a few times and tried restarting the program a few times and still will not detect at least those 2 shows. There might be more, still testing behaviors. I had no problem in the past wit the NSA325 location. Could it be because they are both in a folder named torrents? Maybe if I changed the name to torrents2 it might do something different, but have not tried that yet.

Sounds strange...

A tv show folder has always to be saved in the source you've configured, not in a subfolder of a source. That means:

//NSA320/others 2/torrents <=== Source
//NSA320/others 2/torrents/24 <=== is working
//NSA320/others 2/torrents/Action/24 <=== it does not work

Do you have setup some other settings in this area?

Sorry, Am very late getting back on this one...Because of my previous setup, I have sources within sources, but i think it was something more with the name than the source location. So using your example here is what I have, note the different drives 325 and 320

//NSA325/others/torrents/Breaking Bad <=== Source torrents - works which is /others/torrents
//NSA320/others 2/24 <=== source others 2-works which is /others 2
//NSA320/others 2/torrents/Better Call Saul <=====source torrents 2- which is /others 2/torrents does not work.

Note I have a similar setup another place and it works

//NSA325/Other Tv Series/Farscape <=== Source other tv series - works which is /Other Tv Series
//NSA325/Other Tv Series/Star Trek/Star Trek Enterprise <=== source Star Trek-works which is /Other Tv Series/Star Trek
//NSA325/Other TV Series/Star Trek/Star Trek Voyager <=====source Star Trek - works. /Other Tv Series/Star Trek

I know it is not ideal, this is how I had things configured long ago and just left them with switching over to EMM and added the extra sources. I should fix it someday, but the amount of waiting for it to replicate on all the drives I have backups and stripes and stuff has kept me from fixing it. Since it works fine in the star trek example, I was left thinking that maybe it had to do with both source directories being named "torrents" (even though they were both named differently as source, torrents and torrents 2)

All the other settings were okay. Just a weird thing....I temporarily worked around it by defining
//NSA320/others 2/torrents as X:/ and having X:/ as a source.
JanM201 - feels good to figure out your own problem Smile Computers can get messy. Usually, if everyone else is fine, its often some wacky setting on your end. I'm in that boat every week. +1 Perseverance point for you!
Remind me...what does the error "Object reference not set to instance of an object," mean? And/or, how is it remedied? I know it's been covered, but I can't seem to find a valid explanation at the moment. I'm seeing it while scraping movies only. Individual or multiple at once. This wasn't an issue several days ago and no settings changed. The database is the same. The only thing I've done is cleanup the database.
My scraper is set to TMDB for movies and data.

Update: re-install worked. Still curious.
Thanks McButton. It felt greatBig Grin