Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Smallest case for 4 drives?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm looking to build an HTPC and I'm looking for suggestions.
I'm staying away from using two separate systems: NAS + Small HTPC; I'd rather
use a single system.

So, what's the smallest case I can get that holds 4 full-sized drives? (I'll probably
go with 3TB Reds). Also, I wouldn't mind suggests for the rest of the hardware
considering I'll be running full 1080p videos. I've never used one of the newish
CPUs with built-in graphics... so my knowledge is lacking in that department.
HP microserver.
U'll be needing for example 1 of the larger Silverstone cases for example, Silverstone Grandia GD08 Home Theatre Server Case - Black (SST-GD08B USB 3.0) plenty of drive space and cooling to keep everything cool

the guts of the system

a new haswell i3 with a after market cooler (scythe)

maybe a ASrock mobo + 4/8 gig ram depending on o/s u using etc

and a 60gig SSD

that's just some examples that's u could use anther interesting idea would be:-

HP N54 micro server + a low profile passive cooled gfx card to do the 1080p

although with that option u wont get sata 3 and I think but not 100pct sure on it but think it only supports up to 8 gig internal storage , unless they fixed that issue with a new bios
The HP ProLiant MicroServers are great for a NAS but not so much an HTPC, since even the newest ones do not have HDMI. Adding a graphics card to one puts the price above what a DIY setup would get you.

I'd look at the Fractal Design Node 304 case
ASUS H87I-PLUS mini-ITX motherboard
Haswell Pentium (if you only need 2D support) or Haswell i3 (if you need 3D support)
If you're going to be running Windows, consider a 60-120GB SSD for the O/S.
4GB DDR3-1600 RAM
(2013-09-02, 19:25)Dougie Fresh Wrote: [ -> ]The HP ProLiant MicroServers are great for a NAS but not so much an HTPC, since even the newest ones do not have HDMI. Adding a graphics card to one puts the price above what a DIY setup would get you.

I'd look at the Fractal Design Node 304 case
ASUS H87I-PLUS mini-ITX motherboard
Haswell Pentium (if you only need 2D support) or Haswell i3 (if you need 3D support)
If you're going to be running Windows, consider a 60-120GB SSD for the O/S.
4GB DDR3-1600 RAM

I love that case even more since they made a white version of it Smile
Check out the Lian Li PC-Q25B as well, I have one and it's great. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6811112339
I went with the Lian Li; love their cases.
Now I just need to decide on the system itself. I can't make up my mind if
I want to go the all-in-one route with an embedded system, or what.
I'm thinking of building a portable XBMC+NAS box using one of these (probably the two-bay version). Idea is to put 2 x 3-4TB drives in it and transcode all my movies to 720p, so the family can have access to all our movies when we go on holiday.

http://www.u-nas.com/product/nsc200.html
http://www.u-nas.com/product/nsc400.html
(2013-09-02, 19:25)Dougie Fresh Wrote: [ -> ]The HP ProLiant MicroServers are great for a NAS but not so much an HTPC, since even the newest ones do not have HDMI. Adding a graphics card to one puts the price above what a DIY setup would get you.
That's certainly not the case in the uk, with HP's cashback deals (on again at the moment).
yes 100 quid for the microserver and a 6450 for 30 quid(low profile bracket) cant go wrong , prolly need the hacked bios to run over 8gig space (or was needed before)