Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Music Audio over HDMI on Frodo 12.2
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I get nice sourround 5.1 sound on movies, but with music - either wav files or mp3 files ripped directly from CD - I get sound out of the subwoofer and one rear speaker.
The source audio is in stereo, I have played the same wav and mp3 files play elsewhere in stereo.

Is there any fix for this?
Set speaker config to 2.0 and enable the "ac3/DTS" options ...
Hi,

even though this message is a little older already, but maybe someone else might be interested as well when searching for audio problems.

I've had the same issue. I am on a Mac Mini 2012 and have connected it via HDMI. Therefor I also chose as Audio output HDMI, Channels 5.1 and enabled all the AC3/DTS options. When doing so I had the same effect as described. Movies with 5.1 sound played fine, the moment I played Stereo files (streams, MP3, even stereo movies) I had no sound at all. Changing the output to 2.0 channel fixed the problem, but it was extremely annoying to change back and forth based on whether the source was stereo or multichannel.

In a thread here in the forum (sorry for not relinking it, as I dont find it back) I read that in this case it might help to set the output from HDMI to coaxial/optical EVEN THOUGH the audio comes via HDMI. And it helped! Now, regardless whether the source is stereo or Multichannel, everything is played fine. This setting by the way also fixed the issue of movie playback beginning to stutter after around 45 minutes of playback.

Maybe this helps also others. I for my part am happy as a pig in mud right now with the setup and XBMC in general.

BR,
Marcel