Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Where's my files?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello.
I am completly new to XBMC and Linux!
Have build a MediaCenter PC and installed XBMCbuntu - and it's been working very nice!
However, today it completly "crashed" on me.
Added a remote control to the system, while beeing in xbmc - it worked perfect - however after a quick reboot, the system ain't starting up now?
Don't know if it's the remote that's screwed up somwthing, unplugged it, but it's still not starting up.
All I get when I boot is something like this...:
Code:
* Starting Tvheadend DVB/IPTV streaming server  (okay)
* Checking battery state...                     (okay)
* Stopping system V runlevel compability        (okay)
* Starting                                      (okay)
* Starting                                      (okay)
* Stopping CUPS printing spooler/server         (okay)
* Starting Samba Auto-reload Integration        (okay)
* Stopping Samba Auto-reload Integration        (okay)
This' all on a black screen, where it's possible to hit Ctrl+Alt+F1 and then get the command-thingy ...
Been googling alot and tryed various things, but nothing have fixed it yet.
Hopefully there's a few smart people in here who can help me Smile

Az
Okay .. So, as noone seemed to have any clue, I decided to reinstall XBMCbuntu.
This fixed the problem - for now!
Added my secondary hdd (containing all my media files) to fstab for automount - this working fine too, but ...
I can access the drive from XBMC and Ubuntu etc. but I cant see my folders/files?
Using gparted I can see the files are still there, as I have a "used %"
Question now is, what do I do to see my folders/files in XBMC?
Note: I didnt format the disk, just added the mountpoint.

A little help would be nice Smile

Az
Edited topic subject - hopefully someone is able to help me fix my new problem Smile

Az
It's not clear exactly what the problem is.
Have you tried to set the folders as sources (eg video > add source).
If so, what do you see?
Troggy is correct, i am not clear on what the problem is exactly either.

Try to make some screenshots if possible,you can do that from XBMC by pressing the PrtScrn button.
Alright ..
So, my system crashed, and I couldn't find a way to fix it, did a full re-install of XBMCbuntu on my main hdd.
Got XBMCbuntu up and running again. But as I have all my media files stored on a secondary hdd I had to add that hdd to the newly installed system.
Added my secondary hdd to "fstab" and it is booting up like it should.
Howerver I am not able to see the files on hdd - it contains 2 folders: "Movies" and "Series" - those containing all my files.
When I boot up XBMC and try to add the folders/files from my secondary hdd - I can see the hdd - but not the folders/files?
If I logon Ubuntu I can see the hdd - but not the files!? - I can, however, see that I have x-amount of used space on the disk = the files should be there.

So all in all; my secondary hdd boots - but I can't see my folders/files on it.

Az
It doesn't sound like an xbmc issue tbh. If you can't see the files in ubuntu then that suggests a wider problem.
(2013-09-14, 17:34)trogggy Wrote: [ -> ]It doesn't sound like an xbmc issue tbh. If you can't see the files in ubuntu then that suggests a wider problem.

Exactly ... why I tagged the topic "Linux" Smile
Never the less, any sort of help would be very appriciated.
Like stated in my first post - I am completly new to linux (and xbmc).
Took me long enough to figure out how to just mount the secondary hdd.

Az