Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: How can you change the movie order inside the movie library?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello everyone,

Quite new to XBMC but been putting a lot of time into learning it and downloading content, and I have a question which doesn't seem to have a obvious answer by looking at the menu functionality.

I would like to change the movie order that in presented while browsing the movies. Mostly interested due to sequels that have completely different names and instead of appearing side by side are in complete opposite sides of the library, or in series like "Batman" where the most logical way would be for them to be side by side and ordered by the release year.

What would be the best way to approach this issue?

Thx for any help for the newbie here
Welcome to the XBMC forums.

You can use movie sets (wiki) to help group together these related films.
Two things I have noticed just now playing with the movie sets.

1- When you are managing the movie sets you can sort them by year, which would be exactly what I wanted except when you go back to the movie library they will again be sorted by name which is what I really want for the whole library, so it doesn't work

2- When you enable the movie sets all movies collapse inside that set and are not all shown in the movie library, which is what I was expecting to preserve.

Basically what I was looking for was to be able to configure the movie sets to be sorted by year and altogether while maintaining the showcase library with all the movies.
I know I being a bit pick but that is what I wanted.

Anyone ever managed to get that done?
Nightly builds (wiki) have an easy "sort title" editor built into XBMC's GUI. Give that a try, but backup your userdata folder (wiki), since you would be using development builds.
Or, if you use a media manager or at least have NFO files for your movies, you can edit the <sorttitle> tag and put, for instance, <sorttitle>Batman 1</sorttitle>, etc.
I have all of the James Bond movies and didn't want them in a set but wanted what you also are looking for. I first went into XBMC system/setting/video/library and exported all my data to separate files. Once that is done close XBMC and go into the movie folders you want to edit. Mine where all the james bond movies. Open up the nfo file that had been created by XBMC and edit the <title>Skyfall</title> to <title> James Bond: Skyfall</title> save and exit. Find the rest of the movies and do the same. Once done, open XBMC again and fine all those movies you have edited the nfo files on and remove them from library, then rescan for new content. Done, all your James Bond movies now will show in your library Under the heading James Bond : movie title. I haven't sorted it out by year since this is ok for me
The only problems with that approach, changing the <title>, is that that will actually change the movie name, which you may not want, and if you ever have to scrape it again there could be problems. The advantage of <sorttitle> is that it is used only for sorting by title, if it is present. You can put numbers in there as a well as a name to give you the exact order you want.
Glorious is it possible to sort by year together with the name using <sorttitle> ?
@Spartakkus
Not unless you enter the literal year and name in the <sorttitle> tag, as far as I know.