Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: XBMC on OUYA - auto upgrade?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

I had previously installed the OUYA as an Android APK when it first came out. I have subsequently removed this and am now using the XBMC from the OUYA "store".**

Will this store version automatically be updated when updates come out for it?

------------------------------------------------------------------
**As an aside, I had both installed at the same time at one stage whilst I was testing the OUYA store version. With a particular MP4 I had, it would crash the OUYA store version, but would play fine in the APK version - it would do this consistently even after reboots, etc (ie not just once). This is strange since I assume they were both the same source code. Huh

Thanks,
JB
I think it depends on how the OUYA store works. Do other apps and games update automatically? If so, XBMC probably will as well.

As for the other issue:

OUYA version = "Stable" XBMC v12.2 + new hardware decoding
"Official" XBMC version = development version that will eventually become v13, which includes bug fixes, but also might introduce new bugs.

So the unstable development version, although called unstable, will often have bug fixes that the v12.2-based version doesn't have. Over all, in theory, 12.2 should have less bugs, but it's certainly not bug-free.
Hi Ned,

I was hoping for a more definite answer from the dev guys, since they released it on the OUYA store so I would assume know how they do updates via that. If not updated automatically, are you prompted to update? Or do you have to uninstall and re-install each time a release is done (this would be a pain)?

------------------------------------------------------
As for the other issue. The APK install was done before the OUYA store install (so I assume the OUYA store version is a later build than the APK). Therefore, an issue was introduced in a later build. I haven't come across it with anything else, I just thought I would mention it.

Thanks,
JB
You certainly don't have to uninstall each time. Updates via OUYA store are either automatic or you just install the update right on top of the existing app, just like any other update to any other OUYA store app. As far as I know, there has been one minor update to the XBMC for OUYA app, 12.3.1. (The XBMC in the OUYA store is technically unofficial and not form Team XBMC. An official version will come with v13, but what is official or not is kind of splitting hairs and doesn't really matter in this case.)
Quote:The XBMC in the OUYA store is technically unofficial and not form Team XBMC.

Really? I didn't know that.
It's a version to hold users over until v13 is released, but should be just fine. One of our devs was contracted by OUYA to make it.