Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: the end is in sight
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
When will retroplayer be done? when when when? if you've been wanting to ask this question, here's some hard numbers Smile

I'm getting ready to submit a PR to master. The PR will probably be 10K sloc (source lines of code). RetroPlayer is currently 16K sloc, so the PR will physically be ~60% of what is currently RetroPlayer. The PR will include most components. Save states (5K sloc) will not be included in the PR, and Game Info Tags (1.3K sloc) are toast (they didn't work anyways). In the future, the Game Info Tags component will be replaced by PyRomInfo (remember that side project from a few months ago?)

In the last 5 days, I've refactored 2.5K sloc (25% of the upcoming PR). I've gotten rid of most hacks and abstracted/encapsulated the shit out of everything else. Most importantly, I finally consider the refactored code presentable (tbh, downright sexy). What I have left to refactor: the input subsystem (600 sloc), possibly the joystick api (2K sloc), rip out as much Game Info Tag code as possible (I'll try to get this down to < 300 sloc), and the MyGames window (600 sloc, but this part will be quick).

When I finish the refactor, I plan to launch a massive bug hunt and I'll need all the help I can get (yes, I will upload executables). I'll document the shit out of RetroPlayer on the xbmc wiki (I'll need some help with this too), I'll upgrade OpenELEC RetroPlayer to 3.1.7, and I'll finally update the linux x86 emulators Wink I hope you can all join me when the final sprint starts. I'm starting school part-time soon (it's been a long while since i've taken any classes), so my goal for submitting the PR is the 25th of september (about 2 weeks). I started RetroPlayer exactly 1 year ago, and from the refactor it's fun to see how much my programming has changed over the last year.

I'm putting RetroPlayer on the agenda for Devcon in october, and now that the code is finally polished I hope to bring in some other team members at devcon. The end is in sight! Thanks for all your enthusiasm!
Wow, congratulations and thanks for all your hard work!
Very, very nice work garbear! You should be proud of what you accomplished. This is something thousands will love. Keep up the good work.
Very nice job garbear Wink
Awesome work garbear!
Very great to see a big part soon to be merged with the XBMC master source.
But since the XBMC team has changed their feature and code policies (merge new feature till the middle of the months, fix the bugs till the end, release a monthly stable), wouldn't it be better to merge the new code in the beginning of October?
WOW! RetroPlayer in mainline will really bring another big WOW-factor to XBMC

So this might even make it into the Gotham release then, now that would be so f*ing awesome!

Very nice work garbear! Best of luck with the pull request, and happy coding!
This is ground breaking news for me :-)

Thank you so much!!
Congratulations, great news and a major accomplishment, can't wait to see the final results.
(2013-09-10, 12:28)MasterPhW Wrote: [ -> ]Very great to see a big part soon to be merged with the XBMC master source.
But since the XBMC team has changed their feature and code policies (merge new feature till the middle of the months, fix the bugs till the end, release a monthly stable), wouldn't it be better to merge the new code in the beginning of October?

won't be merged in october, needs lots of review and binary add-ons are a blocker. good news, a lots of progress is being made on binary add-ons and i wouldn't be surprised if the new packaging system debuted shortly after devcon
(2013-09-10, 02:03)garbear Wrote: [ -> ]When I finish the refactor, I plan to launch a massive bug hunt and I'll need all the help I can get (yes, I will upload executables).

Yes please! Big Grin
Garbear , thx for all the good work.

This is the last feature I need with XBMC and you do it !

Celedhrim
nice Smile
Woohoo!
I'm very thankful you made this happen. I will most definitely help you test. Wonderful job!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5