Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: How to fix messed up folder art from Frodo upgrade
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
After updating to frodo (a month or two ago), the first time it loaded it showed a progress bar saying something like "Processing Artwork". After this, all the folder art (I hope I am using the right term, I mean the images shown in the DVD cases when you highlight a show in "FANART" vew), has been replaced by the same image as the wide banners. So highlighting any show shows a squashed banner. Also with all my files exported it shows the same image in "banner.jpg" and "folder.jpg". This seems like some kind of bug in the logic dealing with the transition between banners/folders/posters/jpgs/tbns etc which I don't fully understand.

First I tried removing a show from the library, then deleting folder.jpg, then updating the library to bring the show back. The squashed banner remained in the folder art's place.
Then I tried doing the same, removing the show from the library, this time deleting banner.jpg also, then updating the library to bring the show back. Yet, somehow the squashed banner still remains even though that image isn't even in the folder anymore under any name.
I even tried cleaning the library after removing the show and deleting the files, hoping to get the banners out of the internal db, but this doesn't work either.

I was hoping it would be as "simple" as removing all my sources, cleaning the library, doing a find-delete on all folder.jpg files in my exports, and then readding the sources and updating the library. But if it doesn't work on one show I don't expect it would work on all of them.

The only way to fix it seems to be doing a "refresh" in "TV Show Information" and reloading all the data for the show from scratch, but I have over 200 shows and it would take days to do that on all the shows. So does anyone have any suggestions on a procedure which might fix this?
I tried backing up my .xbmc folder, deleting the thumbnails folder in userdata, deleting all the banner.jpg and folder.jpg from my exports, restarting xbmc and updating the library. No art would refresh.

I tried removing the sources from the library, and saying yes when it asked if I wanted to remove all the content from the library, and spending 2 hours rescanning all the exports back in after readding the sources, and I got a mishmash of some shows fixed but most shows still with broken folder art.

I think I have no choice but to delete ALL artwork and .nfo exports and rescrape my entire library from scratch. But I am worried that some of the shows are DVD order and I dont know which ones. I'm trying to grep the current nfo files to find them so I can treat them specially but can't find any docs about how DVD Order would be indicated in the XML.

Any suggestions?
I'm guessing this is because in v11, XBMC didn't know the difference between a poster and a banner, but in v12 XBMC can see both. It just doesn't know which one "folder.jpg" should be.

DVD order won't be indicated in the NFO files, I think. They're simply in order or not with the episode number. However, you shouldn't need to delete any of the NFO files if artwork is the only thing that needs to be refreshed. Just delete the images, and those will be re-pulled from the internet, but the summaries, episode order, etc, will be the same as your NFO files.
I can't figure out what I could be doing wrong. I'm even doing steps I think should be redundant/uneccessary. Here's what I did:

1. Backed up all media files/exports
2. Backed up .xbmc folder
3. Removed all sources from under Videos. When asked if I want to remove everything from these sources from library I said yes. It took a minute for each source to complete removal.
4. Did a "Clean Library", would think this would have nothing to do since all sources and media inside was just removed but it took a while to complete anyway.
5. Looked in .xbmc/userdata/Thumbnails still had a few gig of files inside. Deleted entire .xbmc/userdata/Thumbnails folder. Verified it was missing.
6. Deleted .xbmc/userdata/Database/MyVideos* and TV*
7. find TV -name banner.jpg -delete
8. find TV -name folder.jpg -delete
9. find TV -name *poster.jpg -delete
10. find TV -name fanart.jpg -delete
11. Restarted XBMC. Verified .xbmc/userdata/Thumbnails folder was recreated
12. Re added tv folder as a source, said yes to "scan for media in this source?"
13. Scan scan scan, wait wait wait

This is what I was saying in the first post. The result is everything is broken in bizarre inconsistent ways:
The majority of all shows have no (black) Fanart, and poster shows squashed banner (where did it even get it?). Some shows have fanart, but no poster at all. Some shows have no fanart, no poster. This is after "update library" has scraped all the folders and should (theoretically AFAIK) have downloaded missing artwork.

I have used xbmc for years and LOVE it, have spent hundreds of hours sorting files and maintaining my library. I respect that the devs are volunteers doing their best, and I'm willing to put in the time and labor to fix the damage from this bug, but I literally cannot conceive of a way to be more thorough than the above procedure.

I'm on XBMC 12.2 Git:32b1a5e (Compiled: May 2 2013)
Am I doing something wrong, or is this version known to be trouble? I could restore backups, update xbmc, and repeat the whole process?

At this point would you consider it a scraping issue? Should I get debug logs?
I have the same problem just upgraded from 11.0 to 12.2, I use the transparency skin, and yes I too have found that refresh is the only way to fix it, this is not the only problem I have found where you have to refresh to fix it like recently added tv's / shows need refresh to fix the order.

so for this issue i just turned off showing posters for tv shows. I didn't want to rescan all my shows, There really needs to be an option to refresh fanart only, and specific art like posters only.

Maybe one of the artwork addons can do this but I have not looked.
Look at this tool http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=158373 it should do the trick when properly used.