Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Windows, android or ubuntu XBMC
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello all,

What is the best XBMC route for me?

I have an old shuttle pc with a p4 2.66ghz and ATI all in wonder 8500dv. I also have available a GeForce 7600GS. I can give you additional specs if needed but I know those are the critical ones. I would rather use the ATI 8500dv but I can understand its an old card from 2001.

Now I am capable of running windows xp or 7 on this laptop that ladder being slower. I can also run OSX 10.5 leopard. Android 4.0 ICS or Ubuntu XBMC.

My question is what is the best option for me to get the best XBMC experience? I am leaning towards Android because its so small and booting it up would be fast but not sure if the XBMC would be as robust on ICS?

Can someone give me some ideas of what would yield the best results and why? I would like to get started but do not want to spend weeks installing different versions to find out the one I tried last was the right one for my setup.
openelec
(2013-09-23, 22:26)Martijn Wrote: [ -> ]openelec

Why Openlec? Is it going to offer more options? Can I use my ATI card you think? I love that it has all the digital and analog tv outputs and inputs on the all in wonder.

Is there somewhere where someone compared all of the XBMC options so you can see a breakdown? That would be awesome..

Thanks
windows will certainly not work (or at least highly doubt it)

openelec is the most stable, least resource intensive easy to install option
Ok I'm going to give openelec a shot. I'll see what happens.. From all my research I can see openelec has the most options over android.
What version of openelec should I try. Will the ION version work or do I need to go with an older generic build?
ION will not work as you don't have a vdpau capable graphics card. Use generic.
Instead of creating another thread on this same topic - can I ask the same question?

My new setup is a HP Micro Server (N36L)

Setup will be like so:

Storeage Server with a shared MYSQL DB -->> N36L box.

The box will just stream all content from the storage server and it's specs are:

AMD CPU 1.3Ghz
2GB DDR3 ram
HD5450 PCIe GFX card - using the hDMI out on it.

I am thinking OpenELEC will be the best bet as I don't have to worry about Windows or anything. Would OpenELEC work on this box?
Yes unless you want hd audio.