Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Best way to backup your SQL database
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So I have an SQL sever running off my Synology Disktation and work with it using PHPMyAdmin.

The method I generally use is the import/export function, but recently I had a problem and had to do a restore but the backup I made using that refused to import back into MySQL.

So my question to you friends is what method do you use to backup your SQL databases and which do you find to be the most reliable?
I just use the export/import function in PHPMyAdmin and haven't had issues with it myself.

What issue did you run into?

I have only had to rebuild once. (knock on wood)
Basically whenever I would go reimport with the backup I made, as soon as I upload the sql.zip and submit nothing happens just a blank screen. Thankfully I had a backup that wasn't that much older and used that. I am just worried it might happen again so I am looking for alternative more reliable methods of backing up.
(2013-09-24, 21:13)mobious Wrote: [ -> ]Basically whenever I would go reimport with the backup I made, as soon as I upload the sql.zip and submit nothing happens just a blank screen. Thankfully I had a backup that wasn't that much older and used that. I am just worried it might happen again so I am looking for alternative more reliable methods of backing up.

You could use mysql dumper, but once you have backed up lock the directory so no one can access it.
(2013-09-24, 23:46)psx123 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-09-24, 21:13)mobious Wrote: [ -> ]Basically whenever I would go reimport with the backup I made, as soon as I upload the sql.zip and submit nothing happens just a blank screen. Thankfully I had a backup that wasn't that much older and used that. I am just worried it might happen again so I am looking for alternative more reliable methods of backing up.

You could use mysql dumper, but once you have backed up lock the directory so no one can access it.

Thanks for the recommendation but I am not familiar with setting something like that up on my Synology Diskstation, I have dabbled with Apache and web hosting before but not on my Diskstation. I could set it up on my desktop but I would rather having everything running there.
mysqldump
Sorry to rehash a dated thread, but I have just went through the process of implementing MySQL. What options are out there for backing up the MySQL db? Are there any apps/software that have a GUI and scheduling wizard instead of the command line interfaces of phpmyadmin and mysqldump? These command line interface setup and configurations seem pretty cumbersome, and I'm feeling a little lost.

My primary objective is to simply backup the Kodi related Db's in MySQL so that I can restore if/when my machine running the MySQL instance decides to take a dump on me.

Thanks

EDIT: Sorry, forgot to mention this is in relation to Kodi installed on my two Amazon Fire TVs, with the MySQL implementation on my Win8.1 machine...if this makes any difference.
Scheduling = cron

cron = commandline.