Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Old athlon chip vs newer celerons
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi people
I've got an old Athlon 64 4000+ CPU that runs at 2400mhz I believe and a microATX Asrock board.
How would this perform in xbmc if I paired it with say AMD 6450/6570 compared to the Intel NUC's and Lenovo q190's?
I dont want to ditch these parts if they will give me a good experience and can run the nicer skins smoothly.
But on the other hand I dont want to stump up for a discrete GPU only to find out I should have just bought an NUC etc for the better experience.
Any advice appreciated.
p.s this is for openelec via usb only.
Nvidia GT610*20/30 and you´re good to go Smile
Avoid amd graphics. Nvidia all the way.
Your CPU with 6450/6750 is beating those Q190's i3 HD3000. The NUC has many flavours so it's not a good comparison. If your running windows, htpc experience is similar between Nvidia and AMD. On Linux, they say you're better of with Nvidia altough there are many happy AMD users.

Just throw in a dedicated graphics card of your liking and budget...
He said openelec Wink
Openelec and AMD is also a great combo.
I am running a Athlon 64 3200+(much worse than yours) with a Nvidia GT520 and very low ram, using OpenElec. From what I can tell there is no problem running XBMC with Aeon Nox. It seems to run smoothly, and video playback is excellent.

As long as what you are doing isn't CPU intensive, then I do not see a problem with your plan, except size-noise/price trade off. With GPU acceleration the processor isn't very important.
Stay clear of amd GPUs + Linux. As others have said - put in a current low end nvidia card in there and you will have a very capable htpc.
Thanks for the advice everyone so should i be looking at a GT610 then - will this do everything xbmc oriented well?
Should do. Good card. Usually available fanless too.
(2013-09-27, 23:49)nickr Wrote: [ -> ]Should do. Good card. Usually available fanless too.

Do not buy with a fan if you´re concerned about noise
Ok so I built my HTPC using the components I listed and a Nvidia 610 and I'm very pleased with the results.
The only issue I have is my panasonic TV remote doesn't work with this system automatically like it does with my raspberry pi is there a setting I need to change anywhere to get this to work with the x86/64 version of openelec?
(2013-10-03, 21:03)spoony77 Wrote: [ -> ]Ok so I built my HTPC using the components I listed and a Nvidia 610 and I'm very pleased with the results.
The only issue I have is my panasonic TV remote doesn't work with this system automatically like it does with my raspberry pi is there a setting I need to change anywhere to get this to work with the x86/64 version of openelec?

This is a hdmi-cec issue, the Pi has cec built in and the HTPC would require a cec adapter to be used the same way.
(2013-10-03, 21:03)spoony77 Wrote: [ -> ]Ok so I built my HTPC using the components I listed and a Nvidia 610 and I'm very pleased with the results.

Now we´re talking HDMI-CEC which is standard with RPi
So the £30 Raspberry pi has this built in but the modern pc needs a £30 adapter to do the sameHuh Bizarre!
Pages: 1 2