Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Radeon OSS with vdpau (howto)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Sadly i think i'm going to have to dump my Gigabyte e350 motherboard, everything UVD is working fine but having long running usb problems.
if i plug my 2 usb PCTV dvb-t2 devices in the kernel will throw up errors and won't work but they will if i plug them into a hub, even then i get random "submit of urb 0 failed (error=-27)" a few times a week.

i'll be on the lookout for a different (newer) AMD Fusion mini-itx mobo.
Wait a bit. I expect some Celeron Haswell mini itx in about 4 weeks or earlier :-)
Once you posted that bit about pulse audio, I went to check my audio settings. It has been like this for awhile but I never bothered since everything worked. Both Audio output device and Passthrough output device are grayed out with HDA ATI, @@@ selected. Also, I still get 0.00 MHz for my CPU speed. Again, pass through works just fine, it just doesn't seem to be how it is supposed to be.

XBMC Logs
You don't have pulse running, so plain ALSA for you:

Quote:08:55:07 T:139923137996672 NOTICE: PulseAudio might not be running. Context was not created.

You also dont' need it for a htpc. The Mhz thing is a bug somewhere :-) But nothing that would kill you. File it on trac.
(2014-01-17, 18:39)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]@locomot1f: Sadly I don't know. The code is correct - it works on all platforms despite Ubuntu :-( Will need to find some time to fiddle with the PA modules on ubuntu.

am i supposed to be running PA?
No. As many asked that, here two examples:

When would I want Pulseaudio:
- You use your xbmc computer mainly as your Desktop when you don't run xbmc
- You want other sounds like Skype, youtube, browser mail notification in parallel
- You use xbmc windowed as Desktop player
- You use Pulseaudio as a network sink to stream Audio to other devices in your living room
- Passthrough is nice to have for you, but to be honest - you don't really need it.

When would I want ALSA:
- You use xbmc as your standalone media center
- You are highly interested in bitperfect exclusive audio output
- DTS-HD, TrueHD is something you use daily and is of high importance
- You don't need other applications that would access audio in parallel
What would be the proper update process? Something like this?

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
...then install the new kernel and reboot
You can update and upgrade at the same time
Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
Pulse pass through on spdif (via DIY coax to mb header) DTS and ac3 work as expected, so far. No white noise... Sound is amazing. Amp shows ac3/dts when switched. Xubuntu64 13.10 full desktop, only compositing disabled. Running xbmc from xfce desktop. Are there any tests you need? I can post on the pa thread if you prefer.
@gfisher: Yes, I made it default for gotham - so can use some good press :-)

default in the sense of: It's used when you have PA
@vmstek:

Normal packages are updated as posted by VanillaXtract. The Kernel needs to be downloaded and installed as written in the howto. I update the second Post, whenever I change something.
(2014-01-11, 18:49)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]Worked for me on four different zotac boxes. So worth a try.

Besides that: Install a mini iso Raring, do a release upgrade and continue.
Thanks for everything you guys have done here.
I've given up on the former guide that I used to follow http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=141369 and tried this for the moment. Couldn't install Saucy due to the USB keyboard. Tried mini iso Raring. Everything fine until I hit GRUB installer, that doesn't work. Tries installing it with Lilo (I have no idea) and that installs but doesn't work when I've rebooted after installing. I used the one found here http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/r...s/netboot/ which seems a bit old.

I just have no idea how to even get the basics in place so I can get started on following the guide here. Any tips?
@Baitou: Install xubuntu (full Desktop), when it's installed join IRC, I will help you make it work for you.
Ok, thanks. Will take some time, have to download and create the USB installer.
@Baitou I've done two HTPC with this guide. One didn't have a PS/2 port so I could use a USB keyboard. The other had one but luckily I had an old keyboard laying around. Can you borrow a keyboard or disable the PS/2? It'd be a lot easier.