Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: 21:9 TV - 1920x810 - XBMC Video calibration
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi XBMC Forum

I've got a Philips 58pfl9956 21:9 tv.

I've chosen a resolution of 1920x810, since the tv can't accept 2560x1080 natively. 1920x1080, when zoomed, hides some of the top/bottom menu's unless I change aspect ratio on the TV, every time I want to ex. add subtitles etc. So it's comfort over picture quality. I might go 1920x1080 again, but I need to solve this problem before I go mad.

Nvidia setup: Resize option 1080, 1920x810 (shows a 16:9 with a black bared 21:9 image)
TV setup: Cinema 21:9 (zooms the black bared 16:9 image to the edges)
XBMC skin: Aeon Nox (frodo 12.2)

Problem:
Settings -> System -> Video output -> Video calibration. After adjusting the edges/subtitles I try to adjust the square. The square is default at (1000) Pixel ratio, but when I adjust, it immediately jumps to (0.844). I can't go any higher than that. As a result, the movies are slightly stretched horizontally. The only way to get it back, is going to app data and delete guisettings.xml and that's losing its charm after a few tries. I could leave the square at (1000) but it's not perfectly squared, and that's bothering me.

Edit: Or in other words... can't adjust the square vertically.

I love to sit for hours and just read until I figure it out, with the help of the excellent posts here, but I must admit defeat and ask for help.
I hope I've provided enough information.
You can't set XBMC to just use the native resolution of the TV? XBMC can zoom the videos of 16:9 content without zooming the GUI: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Vid...o_settings -> View mode
Then I'd say goodbye to letting XBMC fill the entire screen. The TV's auto zoom, would be a better choice then since it can adjust by looking at the black bars/subtitle position. Why I don't use that option is because the TV doesn't auto adjust right away, when I pause to get subtitles or fiddle with other settings, hence I have to grab the TV remote and change aspect ratio manually, and back again when continuing with the movie.

I've gone back to 1920x1080 and video calibrated XBMC to fit the screen. The downside is stretched fan art and I have to chance aspect ratio to see windows in fullscreen (16:9). Not the end of the world though as I rarely use windows. That's the price you pay for going against the mainstream by getting a 21:9 screen.

The other solution worked too, as long as I didn't mess with the square when calibrating.

Thank you for your suggestion. Made me try out the other solution, which aside for the fan art, works pretty well.
I don't understand. XBMC can auto zoom as well. That's what "View mode: Zoom" does.