Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: VOB files showing multiple times in Library
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi guys - have been researching this one on and off for days, trying to find a solution, but haven't found one thus far which explains my situation. I've read that many different "solutions", "theories", etc. in that time, that they've all blurred one into the other, and I don't know if I'm coming or going now... So - if what I am asking HAS already been answered here, please forgive me - I *have* tried to sort this out without having to bother you... but yeah... here I am Wink

So, my situation:

Operating system = Windows 8
XBMC Version = Frodo (compiled May 2, 2013)

The problem:
  • Videos: Movies, and Videos: Library are both showing multiple entries in the database for (some) rips in VOB format.
  • Videos: Files lists the movies as you would expect, with 1 entry per movie/directory
  • An example - "5 Days of War". The directory for this movie consists solely of 6 VOB files named VTS_01_0.VOB, VTS_01_1.VOB, etc, and a thumbs.db file. That's all. In my two troublesome directories, I get 6 entries for this movie.
  • Next example - "Any Questions for Ben". Shows 11 times in my Movies/Library lists (am sure you can imagine how "disruptive" this is when trying to scroll through your movies to find something to watch). The directory consists of a direct DVD rip - 9 VOBs, a couple of IFO's, folder.jpg and an xml file from the scrape.

I've done a LOT of work on my library, going through, renaming folders to match IMDB so the scrapes work properly, etc... have wiped my database once and re-started it, to ensure that it was picking up all the changes I'd made. Hasn't resolved this issue.

Any suggestions, please, on what I might be missing? See below for a bit more info in picture format Wink

A sample of my Movies: Library view:

My "Any Questions for Ben" directory:

My "5 Days of War" directory:
The only advice I can give is:
1: if you don't wish to preserve menus etc on the DVDs, use make MKV to turn them into one video file
2: if you DO wish to preserve the whole disc, make it into a single iso. I only have a couple of DVDs in iso image files, and XBMC scrapes and plays them fine.
Thanks for the quick response, Death-Axe. Whilst I realise that would work, it is still a work-around (and of course, one which takes me more time)... I was/am hoping for an actual solution.

However, just for giggles, I grabbed a copy of MakeMKV to see what I could do with them, and it may have given me an extra piece of the puzzle: it picked up no usable files in either of the directory. When I looked at the list of file associations it had, I realised that "Any Questions for Ben" doesn't have a VIDEO_TS.IFO file, for some reason (and obviously "5 Days of War" doesn't, either, with the directory only consisting of the VOBs).

Is, perhaps, XBMC looking for the VIDEO_TS.IFO file and, when not finding it, assuming each of the videos is a separate movie?? And if that's the case... is it difficult to create one??
How did you manage to rip a DVD without the ifo file? that is the playlist type file that launches the DVD. I don't think you can create it without the original DVD.
Tagging along for a solution as I have the same issue.
Death-Axe... not entirely sure (this particular one's been around on my drive for awhile now). I suspect at some point when I've been doing a clean-up, I've removed all but the VOBs of that one for some reason.

I had a crack at re-creating them using IFO-edit, but no joy there. Had a crack at combining them with MakeMKV, but that wouldn't play ball without the IFOs, and wouldn't work with the IFOs that IFO-edit created. So, have now resorted to just compressing the movie down to a single MKV using VideoReDo TV Suite.

Severed - from what I can tell so far, the rips that are displaying this behaviour don't (somehow) have a VIDEO_TS.IFO file. Most have the .BUP, just missing the IFO. And these are direct DVD rips, so not entirely sure how it's happened, but there ya go. I think I'll have a play with one of these others with the .BUP file available and see if IFO-edit plays better with these... otherwise, I'm going to just end up queueing them all up in VideoReDo to get em into single MKV files... not ideal... but it'll work...
Strange eh? I would suggest making ISOs next time :-)
For what it's worth, I had the same problem and found a solution. (Raspbmc on Raspberry Pi) Turns out that my problematic folders contained files that were all lower case - I'm sure they weren't originally like after being ripped but I think they changed case after being copied between different hard-drives.

I just used a free Windows utility on everything (ReNamer http://www.den4b.com/?x=products&product=renamer ) to reset all file names to uppercase then set content source to 'none', cleared the library entries for that source, then reset to 'movies' for a full rescan. Now all my DVD rips appear just fine.

Hope that helps someone else out with the same problem.
Hi,
I have the same problem.
My system: Windows 7; XBMC 12.2 GIT: 20130502-32b1a5e compiled: may 2013.
I my situation not all DVD's are showing multiple files (VOB and IFO) in the Library. The most DVD's appear correct, just 1 link to the VIDEO_TS.IFO file.
Some of my DVD's all the VOB and also the IFO files show up in the Library. I don't understand why most DVD's show up correct (1 link) and others have multiple links (all the VOB and also the IFO files). I don't see any different between the DVD's. All files are in capital letters.
Hope someone has a simple solution. For me to convert all the "faulty" DVD's to ISO or mkv is al lot of work, a workaround would be very appreciated.
Thanks for any thoughts an reactions on this.
Greetings, Marc

Did an update to XBMC 12.3 yesterday, but the problem still exist.

17-3-2014 update:
Here’s an update.
I have found a part of the solution, I think.
I put all my “faulty” DVD movies in a separate folder: VIDEO_TS.
Here is an example of one of my new folder structure: \\NAS\media\movies\decade\[movie name] (year of the movie)\VIDEO_TS\VIDEO_TS.IFO and all the other files of the movie.
After these changes all these movies are seen as the movie: Benny’s Video: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0103793/
After you reload these movies they will be given there correct name. Some movies have no name those you have to give a name manual.
Still there are some movies that show up more than once in my Library. Of that particular movie all the IFO files will be placed in the Library. For example the movie: Barfi!
It’s a DVD 9 and has 3 IFO files, I placed all the files as explained in a separate VIDEO_TS folder, but each time I refresh my library this movie will show up 3 times in the Library.