Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Some local trailers won't play
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am using a third party program, Media Companion, to automatically download all the trailers for my library. They are named in this format <move>-trailer.ext. I would say about 25% of my trailers won't play. XBMC detects that there is a trailer available to play but every time I hit the 'play trailer' button nothing happens.

There is no correlation with file type or anything like that. When I go to 'show information' and then hit 'refresh/reload,' the trailer for that particular movie will then start working as it should. I could manually reload/refresh all affected movies but that would just be too time consuming.... In the past when I needed to refresh or reload many movies I would just set my folder content to 'none' and then set it back to 'movies' again to let XBMC reload my entire library. This doesn't seem to work for this situation however...every time I try to reload my entire library the same exact trailers don't work again and I have to go back and manually reload them. Any thoughts?
Use XBMC as your prime scraper....

Your 3rd party MC scrape is giving you old trailer URL's, that's why the trailer now works after a re-fresh (you are now correcting the address URL the MC program has embedded.) Pay attention to the scraper settings for each source which determine which trailer URL's are embedded. The URL is the path to the trailer.... using an editor you can just lift the URL and paste it into your favourite browser and you'll be enjoying that same trailer, but a lot of time, the URL's are dead, no longer working etc... this all depends on which database has the listing and how well it's maintained and other factors that are not really XBMC related nor the responsibility of XBMC software. Re-scraping and reloading your whole source library will not change the local .nfo and it's trailer URL's.

My suggestion (lazy mans way) would be a full rescrape (not using the local .nfo) after you determine which meta-data source has the most accurate links to trailers, then using the universal scraper set-up for that trailer data source. I personally do not rely on trailer URL's that are here to-day and gone tomorrow, but keep the full trailers inside the movie folder.