Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Option to override auto commercial skipping
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I use MythBackend, which automatically flags commercials. While it generally does a good job, it often fails to identify the last bit of programming that follows the final ad in a show. In other words:
- last ads in the show --> the last couple of minutes of the show --> more ads
is flagged as:
- a ton of ads

When this happens (as it does frequently), the program ends prematurely and the interface returns to the recording list. There is no way to watch the end of the show using XBMC.

Feature request: Provide a setting that allows the user to disable/enable automatic commercial skipping.

Currently, pressing the up key during an ad (you can backspace into an ad that is not the last flagged ad in a recording) will take you to the end of an ad. That would be a fine alternative if auto skipping was turned off, allowing you to watch the end of the show.
Sorry to resurrect an old thread. I was wondering if this was ever implemented?

I'd like to map a key that enables or disables commercial skip.
I use Media Portal and I find that I miss the preview of the next TV show (as that is technically part of the commercials). I was able to skip to the different EDL portions and catch it (watch the section I want) with Isengard 15.2 but I haven't been able to do that since it is flagged as a commercial for 17 on at least. Having the option to turn off EDL skips or being able to watch through the "commercials" would be great. I would like to be able to update to the latest Kodi version and catch all the improvements and bug fixes but this one feature has prevented me from doing so.
IIRC, pvr.mythtv allows the user to choose whether or not EDL skipping is enabled, or to prompt for each recording played back. Therefore, I think this is particular to each PVR addon, rather than Kodi itself.
I don't believe this addresses our position rpcameron. While I can disable having "EDL" skips completely by not creating the commercial skip files out of the PVR, what we want is Kodi to be able to use or not use these based on hot key or something. Since sometimes skipping commercials is desired and works, and other times they don't work. I do not want to remove the "edl" skip files each time I want to watch a given show and find that the commercial skip goes past a part I want to see. I already have a script to remove EDL file and diff files and leave *.txt files since otherwise it doesn't seem to work well with kodi. I feel Kodi can make up the rest of the difference here.