Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: No audio output through HDMI
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Yesterday I finished building my HTPC:

motherboard: MSI FM2-A75IA-E53
processor: AMD A8-6600 (AMD Radeon HD 8570D integrated HD audio)
memory: 8 gb dual channel 1866 mhz DDR3
harddrive: 120 gb ssd drive (kingston v300 now)

I installed Openelec Generic OSS i386 Version:3.2.2 and everything works fine except... there's no sound...

I connected my HTPC to my Sony receiver (STR-DH820) through HDMI.

Settings in XBMC:

audio output: HDMI
speaker configuration: 5.1
audio output device: HDA ATI, HDMI #0
custom passthrough device: HDA ATI, HDMI #0

Can I solve this, and so, how? I'd rather not install windows...
debug log (wiki) please.
I have made a debug log:

http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=69719
Quote: DEBUG: CSoftAE::InternalOpenSink - Using speaker layout: 5.1

Set speakers to 2.0 and retry.
Tried that just a second ago, still no audio...
Your debug log doesn't show anything being detected as connected to any of the 4 hdmi devices.

Are the TV amd amplifier connected via HDMI and both turned on when you start xbmc?
Very strange. My amplifier and tv are both turned on when I start XBMC.

I also don't understand why the log is showing 4 hdmi devices, there's only one hdmi port on the motherboard...
(2013-10-15, 08:00)rootje1980 Wrote: [ -> ]Very strange. My amplifier and tv are both turned on when I start XBMC.

I also don't understand why the log is showing 4 hdmi devices, there's only one hdmi port on the motherboard...
I don't understand the reason for that either, but it is very usual and typical.

Have you cycled through all of them looking for one that works.

Set the options to the lowest common denominator:

Audio output: Analogue
Speaker configuration: 2.0
Everything else set to 'off'
Audio output device: this is where you have to cycle through all the hdmi options

Start a video then press 'esc' - the movie will continue in the background. Go to the audio settings screen and cycle through the audio output device options.
(2013-10-15, 08:17)nickr Wrote: [ -> ]I don't understand the reason for that either, but it is very usual and typical.

Have you cycled through all of them looking for one that works.

Set the options to the lowest common denominator:

Audio output: Analogue
Speaker configuration: 2.0
Everything else set to 'off'
Audio output device: this is where you have to cycle through all the hdmi options

Start a video then press 'esc' - the movie will continue in the background. Go to the audio settings screen and cycle through the audio output device options.

I just tried all the possible combinations, with a movie playing. No results Sad

Also tried connecting the htpc directly to the tv, but this gives the same result. So I can rule out that there's a problem with my amplifier.
If I can find a optical cable thats long enought, I'm gonna try to connect the htpc to the amplifier that way, see if there's is sound then...
rootje: I had a similar issue - cycled through all AudioOutputDevices and nothing worked.

With my older setup (pi), I have navigation sounds on so I could hear which settings actually work and which didn't just by cycling through them.

However, with my new setup I couldn't get any sound out but after I booted it to try out something else... sound worked, so I'm not convinced that changes to setting take immediately: try modifying then restarting XBMC (use "xbmc-send RestartApp".

A suggestion over in another thread is that /etc/asounf.conf or ~/.asoundrc could be interfering.

I added some lines into my /etc/asound.conf and got speaker-test to play down the HDMI cable to get sound out of the TV. If you want to try that out, I can post what I did (just to confirm cabling etc is all working).

(2013-10-15, 08:00)rootje1980 Wrote: [ -> ]I also don't understand why the log is showing 4 hdmi devices, there's only one hdmi port on the motherboard...
If you do "aplay -l" (lower-case "L") in a command prompt, it will return what "devices" the OS appears to see.

Even though there's only one port, sometimes the underlying OS will see several different devices so that applications can talk to the same port in a different manner. It seems XBMC simply builds a list of what the OS claims exists, then presents this as a choice to the user.

I know that's probably no additional help. I've also no idea how to amend this list (I'd liked to have removed redundant entries to remove the possibility of error).
Preacher, thnx for your reaction. Although some things you write is abacadabra for me Smile

I've noticed that some settings wont take effect before you reboot. I tried to set the resolution from 720 to 1080 but it kept setting it back to 720. After a reboot it was on 1080. So maybe thats with the sound settings the same thing...

What do you mean with "xbmc-send restartApp" Is this an addon for XBMC?

I tried connecting an optical cable from the htpc to my amplifier. I set my amplifier to get video through hdmi and audio through optical. Now I have audio! But this not a satisfing solution, since optical cant handle HD audio. So i'm going to investigate further for audio through hdmi.

I starting to wonder if it isn't working because Linux doesn't have the proper drivers installed for hdmi... But then I shouldn't have video either, right? Only way to find that out is installing windows and then install the drivers from the cd which came with the mobo....
Sorry I can't be much help, but I'm also having a similar issue - only I lose sound over HDMI after waking the machine from sleep. I have to reboot to get it back. This has only happened since I upgraded to Frodo. Initially, it was only occasionally, now it seems to be every time I wake it up. Seems like the HDMI audio part isn't waking up. I'll have to try and capture a log as well. I've already got an optical plugged in, so I'll have to check it out once I get a spare moment.
(2013-10-15, 22:13)rootje1980 Wrote: [ -> ]Preacher, thnx for your reaction. Although some things you write is abacadabra for me Smile

I've noticed that some settings wont take effect before you reboot. I tried to set the resolution from 720 to 1080 but it kept setting it back to 720. After a reboot it was on 1080. So maybe thats with the sound settings the same thing...

What do you mean with "xbmc-send restartApp" Is this an addon for XBMC?
xbmc-send is a command line tool for sending messages to a running xbmc application
Quote:I tried connecting an optical cable from the htpc to my amplifier. I set my amplifier to get video through hdmi and audio through optical. Now I have audio! But this not a satisfing solution, since optical cant handle HD audio. So i'm going to investigate further for audio through hdmi.
HD audio doesn't work with AMD video cards in linux at present. You bought the wrong video card, get an nvidia
Quote:I starting to wonder if it isn't working because Linux doesn't have the proper drivers installed for hdmi... But then I shouldn't have video either, right? Only way to find that out is installing windows and then install the drivers from the cd which came with the mobo....
Hate to say it but this quote says it all.

Quote:You bought the wrong video card, get an nvidia
(2013-10-15, 22:40)nickr Wrote: [ -> ]HD audio doesn't work with AMD video cards in linux at present. You bought the wrong video card, get an nvidia

And if I run XBMC under windows, will it work then?

Because in that case I have 2 options:

1) Buy a PCIexpress video card from nvidia (I now use the integrated GPU from the AMD processor) and keep on running openelec/xbmc

or

2) install windows and run XBMC from there

Correct?
Pages: 1 2