Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Using external MySQL DB instead of builtin SQLite
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

will this feature (Using external MySQL DB instead of builtin SQLite) stay experimental and unsupported in the future, or do you plan to support it ?

Thanks for this awesome piece of software.
(2013-10-16, 09:32)Aiolizator Wrote: [ -> ]Hi,

will this feature (Using external MySQL DB instead of builtin SQLite) stay experimental and unsupported in the future, or do you plan to support it ?

plan is to remove it
To be honest, it's likely to stay experimental and unsupported for at least another year. There's one thing that mysql allows that sqlite doesn't, and that's it helps with situations where disk is slow on the client.

This may well be remedied, at which point the overhead of maintaining the mysql code will become more trouble than it's worth.
It's also very helpful when you own several media centers, and you want to share the same library between these.
(2013-10-16, 09:45)Martijn Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-10-16, 09:32)Aiolizator Wrote: [ -> ]Hi,

plan is to remove it

(2013-10-16, 09:55)jmarshall Wrote: [ -> ]To be honest, it's likely to stay experimental and unsupported for at least another year. There's one thing that mysql allows that sqlite doesn't, and that's it helps with situations where disk is slow on the client.

This may well be remedied, at which point the overhead of maintaining the mysql code will become more trouble than it's worth.

I saw the info on multi-client handling on the live-blog from DEvcon (which i presume you want to replace the mysql-sharing).
Is the presentation on this available somewhere? Or perhaps a thread on it?
From the little information on the blog, it left a bunch of questions.

Since i am partly working as a DBA, I really like the feature to allow an external database.
The video of that presentation will be uploaded soon :)
Looking forward to that video, this is the one feature i have been craving for years.