Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Issues Setting up XMBC on a Digitech XC-4208 - geniatech ATV2000
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi ,
This thread is about solving issues, I had, and have setting the Digitech TV box up to my old tube TV and network.

Outstanding current issues - see the bottom of thread.

Pics to be referred here :
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0...sp=sharing

I hope this thread helps other people setup an XC-4208 android TV box which I bought from Jaycar here in Australia. I will try and

make it very simple to understand as it took me a while to get my head around this stuff.

The standard Android TV box failed to easily connect to my readyshare drive netgear router , it was fussy about formats to play and

was clunky to teach non geeky users in the family . I bought it a couple of years ago so things no doubt have become easier , faster. I

only needed to run movies so I wondered if there were any decent programs out there and stumbled across XBMC after buying a

Raspberry pi mini computer.

NETWORK:
I enclose a pic of my existing media / network (router DGN2200 netgear )...see pic network

Criteria:
I wanted to be able to :
a) connect a USb hard drive to my Android tv box and connect it to my old large TUBE TV .
b) Easily control the TVbox with a remote ( like iPAD or TVBox remote )
c) Easily add new movie files / programs into the a) attached Hard drive via the network from my Laptop that does the downloading.
d) watch movies on my LAPTOP , or my other TV ( in bedroom ) from this a) Hard drive .

So the hard drive essentially acts as the storage for all movies and viewing media leaving my router to have a 2nd hard drive (via USB

ready share) to act as other storage for family and work.

I have been looking for a decent solution for this box and found XAF XBMC and loaded their software from here:

**----> http://www.xbmcandroid.com/how-to-instal...r-android/

The android box has an SD card so I would load this onto the SD card via my laptop and transfer it into the TVBOX slot to be ready

for installation.

TOOLS:
Download these APKS- from google play into the TV box ( or via an android phone )
APK share ( onto your android device with google play if your TV box does not have google play on it )
WIFI file transfer
ESfile Explorer (3)
Startup manager

terminal emulator

From your pc or laptop .
Step 1 - Getting apk files into the Tv box :
My first task was finding a way to load new programs into the android TVbox . These are called .APK files and normally loaded by

google play from an an android phone but my TVbox did not come with a google play.
On my phone I loaded a program called APK share.
It can share apk files from my phone a number of ways . This allowed me to store my required apks on my phone and USB it to my

pc then I could store it onto my SD card (via my sd slot) and then SDcard into the TV box android for installation.

Step 2- Transfer the above apks files you loaded onto your phone using apkshare to your SD card :
I downloaded the files onto my phone then connected my phone via USB but you can install wifi transfer and do it via wifi .. I then moved these files to my SD card on my pc laptop. Move that SD card and slot it into the TV box so they can be installed.

Step 3 - Install apks into android box. Once the SD card is loaded into the TVbox you can browse with a file browser or go to setup-applications settings- manage applications . to insatll the apks into the tvbox. Once this is done the fun starts.

Step 4 - Before loading the XAF software I had to know what version to load. I had to work out if my TV box was a NEON or non

NEON android. Neon appears to be extra CPU to process video. ( if I remember correctly ) . You can use terminal emulator to work out what you have . Run the app terminal emulator in your ANDROID tvbox. Type cat /proc/cpuinfo [enter]
If you see the word NEON then download the NEON software from the Android XBMC website (see above **---->),if not download the NON neon.

Step 5 - download the MX player APK just below where you download the XAF XBMC apk software.

Step 6 - Place these onto your SD card via pc or wifi share and install them into the Android TV box.

Step 7 - Run the MX player at least once and note there are settings for the hardware and software video decoding . I have not concluded which way to set this up yet . I ran a video on my usb drive to test it.

++ I found the audio L/R out was not working on my android box no matter how I set up things. The box worked fine on my HDMI TV but the analog seemed to be an issue . I used the digital output on the android box into my tv digital in as audio and it worked fine. Not sure the solution otherwise.

Step 8- run the XBMC ..hopefully it runs. You can use the remote to toggle up down,left right and ok is centre button. Entering text can be done using the keyboard OR use a usb keyboard /mouse plugged into android tvbox.

Step 9 - attach your USB drive to android tv usb input( if you use a keyboard mouse disconnect mouse and use remote ) . Setup XBMC to see the hard drive USB. Go to video -> add videos -> browse -> root -> mnt -> (look for something like " sda ". )

Note- when using the remote to get to ok I scroll down to the last item above ok then hit left or right arrow which takes you to next level down for OK to be pressed..( not sure how else to do it as OK button does not work in some small browse android menus )

Viewing videos --> Goto video and you should see the SDA drive . pressing this should show you your videos ..Hopefully it all plays .

Moving new video files :
into USB hard drive -attached to android tv box - I use wifi file transfer- it will give you a http url to enter into your pc and you can locate /mnt /sda and download your music into that . This will load into your hard drive (assuming it is called sda , you may see sda1 or sdb etc )

iPAD remote - XBMC app
was an easy app to download and I simply entered a new host using the IP number of my android eg ( 192.168.10.121) and it worked. If it does not go to XBMC on android tv and go to settings and find where it says allow xbmc to be controlled by other machines . It should connect fine .

I can view the movies on this box from my other rasberyy pie xbmc and my laptop xbmc by adding videos and looking under smb
network ( windows) . It streamed perfectly.

Outstanding issues - If someone can help
[/color]
b) running remote ipad keeps disconnecting when the movie runs ..
c) USB being auto mounted - I did find the solution but I need to post it as I lost the solution but it involved adding some text to a file in android.

I am still having issues which were missed in the original post :

a) My XBMC settings are lost everytime I reboot android TV unit .

b) and the dropout on iPAD remote when I run a movie in XBMC .

c) USB being auto mounted - I did find the solution but I need to post it as I lost the solution but it involved adding some text to a file in android.
If anybody can help directing me to solutions it would be great .
This might be a solution to a)
I am yet to test .
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...C+settings