Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: XMBC Mount Shares Read Only?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Does the internal xbmc system mount smb shares as read-only even if given write permissions?

I'm trying to use the get artwork feature, but its unable to write the images to the share.

I've validated the credentials are correct, and if I mount the share in the operating system it works fine. I'm trying to avoid that as I'm using mysql to sync library across multiple devices.
It doesn't mount anything.
(2013-10-21, 18:02)Vengent Wrote: [ -> ]I've validated the credentials are correct, and if I mount the share in the operating system it works fine.

How did you validate? How did you mount?

The prior post was correct that XBMC doesn't "know" to mount anything. While it may not be the first recommendation, you should make the mount at the OS level, test it, KEEP it mounted, and then configure XBMC to use that mount.
Why wouldn't I configure the source directly in xbmc over smb with the credentials?

How is it accessing it in that case? I'm currently watching movies that way without doing anything in the OS.
So "mounting" is more of an activity associated with mapping/connecting at the OS level. In Linux you might find it more portable to create a folder with a mount like "/mnt/nas" or "/mnt/movies" or "/opt/music" that are mountpoints to remote SMB or NFS shares. Then the XBMC configuration is simpler. Further - and to the point you originally asked about - from the OS you can test if the share is configured correctly for read/write purposes before you even start up XBMC.
if I do it from the OS it works fine. If I do it inside XBMC it does not work fine, its read only even with known good r/w credentials.

How do I get xbmc to connect to a share in read/write mode so that I can use the gui system to download artwork?
(2013-10-22, 14:37)surfinbox Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-10-21, 18:02)Vengent Wrote: [ -> ]I've validated the credentials are correct, and if I mount the share in the operating system it works fine.

How did you validate? How did you mount?

The prior post was correct that XBMC doesn't "know" to mount anything. While it may not be the first recommendation, you should make the mount at the OS level, test it, KEEP it mounted, and then configure XBMC to use that mount.

I validated by sshing to the box (a xios m3), using busybox commands to mount the remote share, I then was able to create and edit files on that share.

using the same credentials to the same share from within xbmc provides no problem with read only - able to play movies, but am unable to create files (ie download artwork)
Artwork gets downloaded into the textures cache, which is local to the playing machine. and the database stores the original web address of the artwork.

Unless you are doing something other than normal XBMC scraping?
Using Artwork Downloader which attempts to download to the extranfanart directory as designed.

00:55:33 T:1171461216 DEBUG: Artwork Downloader: [24] Downloaded: 227611.jpg
00:55:33 T:1171461216 WARNING: FileSmb::OpenForWrite() called with overwriting enabled! - smb://xbox:xbox@JANUS/TV_Shows/24/extrafanart/227611.jpg
00:55:33 T:1171461216 ERROR: Cache - Failed write to file smb://JANUS/TV_Shows/24/extrafanart/227611.jpg
00:55:33 T:1171461216 DEBUG: CSmbFile::Close closing fd 10000
00:55:33 T:1171461216 WARNING: Artwork Downloader: Could not copy file (Destination may be read only), skipping: u'smb://JANUS/TV_Shows/24/extrafanart/227611.jpg'
So if you mount, at the OS level, does it work? Meaning, do the SMB mount, configure XBMC to use that mount, then scrape.
What happens?
Yes, that works. I'm trying to figure out why i can't do that directly within XBMC.

I use multiple devices syncing library across mysql, its not ideal to point the library at the OS level mounts.
what does your smb server machine say in its logs when you try to write?
(2013-10-25, 07:48)nickr Wrote: [ -> ]what does your smb server machine say in its logs when you try to write?

It's a windows 2012 essentials box. I've dug into the event viewer, but no luck finding any logs on this so far. Will continue looking.

So is it an expectation that xbmc will be able to write to smb shares directly?
I am not 100% sure on that. It should be able to, because, for example, export library to separate files, should be able to write to the directory.

Sorry I have never used windows as a server, seems kinda wrong when we have proper linux/unix servers available...
Well its a home media server, one of the old HP ex495s with upgraded ram, I upgraded the windows home server to 2012 essentials and it works great for a media server and pc backup system. I like linux too (debian forever), but this is a wellbuilt small form factor server and the software "just works".

I may dig out my old atv2 and see how well it works with this compared to the xios. The guys over on the pivos forums think this is intentional, that xbmc mounts shares read-only on purpose. I'm trying to validate that, I don't remember that being the case on my atv2, atv, or original xbox. But other than turning debugging on and up I can't figure out how to trouble shoot it from within xbmc, and its not the underlying network connectivity or server credentials or server share config if it works perfectly fine in the linux on the xios via busybox mount.

I did find something about disabling smb signing in 2012, I've done that and no change. Continuing to look for any type of debug on the server, but no luck so far.

I guess the question is, are other people able to use the addon artwork downloader to successfully download extra fanart/logos to a windows smb share that's accessed over the network via xbmc. (as opposed to mounting the shares in the os, and accessing via directory structure via xbmc). If I have to do that I guess I will, but it would be sub-optimal and I can't imagine why it wouldn't' be supported to do within XBMC.
Pages: 1 2