Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: XBMC - Import Video Library
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Used this back in (I think) version 10... been a while so can't remember how long it took or if had a progress bar but....

... trying to run an import. I formatted my computer, was going to try the XBMC Backup add-on, but no one had a simple answer to my problem. I changed the folders for where my videos are located. So I ran an export to a single file, then did a find/replace in that file for D:\Videos\ and replaced with D:\, same as my E:\TV Series\ to E:\.

Installed XBMC after my system was up and running, and used the XBMC Backup add-on and restored just the settings, not thumbs/database, and closed XBMC and copied over the guisettings.xml. Seems fine, everything seems to work, just didn't seem to catch the proper audio settings but so far so good.

Trying to import, but no progress bar. Clean library and Export have a progress bar but I'm not getting anything from Import.

[sigh] as I'm typing my external backup drive just went to sleep, it's where my backup is so, obviously the import isn't importing anything. Task manager says not responding. Tried twice and same thing.

So I guess the question is... what now? I tried the export/import back in version 11, had the same issues, finally gave up and had to re-scrape the whole library. I don't want to do that again. It's a LARGE library. It worked in version 10, but then again, library was half the size.

I have a very basic setup... Win7x64, and XBMC. TV is connected with HDMI... no server/networking/db software or anything like that.
import is just taking a very very very long time on single file import
this is known
I know it takes a long time but... if the external drive went to sleep, it means it wasn't being accessed. If the import was chugging through files, the drive would be in use and spinning.
just leave it for a really long time
K, I'll start it when I go to bed... give it a good 6h to run and see how it is in the morning. If still a prob, I'll re-scrape the library because sounds like a shorter process. Big Grin

Strange it needs so long to import though, you'd think import time would be roughly the same as exporting.

Does the XBMC Backup add-on work faster? I did backup the whole database/thumbs with it as well, just didn't restore those because I changed my folder locations around. I was hoping it was a simple find/replace like with the videodb.xml file using notepad/wordpad, but, the responses I got all talked about MySQL editing and modifying my database and such... I don't think they understood that my setup is very basic and not everyone is a programmer.
Anybody? XBMC Export/Import ...vs... XBMC Backup Add-on?
Export to separate files.
How do I change the path for restore in separate files?
After sitting all night, it finally finished. I could hear the drive kick up and start after about an hour delay.

So far so good, everything seems fine... when I clicked scan for new content on the movie drive it zipped through quick, the TV series though, despite being able to see thumbs and posters, scanning for new content took over a minute. I see the same issue I had before a few versions back though...

If I have 2 movies, almost samefilenames but scraped the same, it restores the artwork for the first one, then duplicates it for the 2nd.

ie
Army of Darkness (1993).mp4
Army of Darkness (Director's Cut) (1993).mkv

Different years is fine though, like The Thing, 1982 and 2011... I remember that use to have issues as well.
(2013-10-25, 18:01)THRobinson Wrote: [ -> ]After sitting all night, it finally finished. I could hear the drive kick up and start after about an hour delay.

So far so good, everything seems fine... when I clicked scan for new content on the movie drive it zipped through quick, the TV series though, despite being able to see thumbs and posters, scanning for new content took over a minute. I see the same issue I had before a few versions back though...

If I have 2 movies, almost samefilenames but scraped the same, it restores the artwork for the first one, then duplicates it for the 2nd.

ie
Army of Darkness (1993).mp4
Army of Darkness (Director's Cut) (1993).mkv

Different years is fine though, like The Thing, 1982 and 2011... I remember that use to have issues as well.
If you don't want duplicates you need to name the jpg poster file the same name as the movie file. Like I have avatar in 720p and 3D with each there own poster and fanart. 720p poste name is avatar-poster.jpg and the other is avatar3D-poster.jpg. When I scan in xbmc there is no duplicate and everything is in my avatar folder.
see Smile i said it took really really really long.
it's a known issue which still need to be looked at at some point but there are more pressing problems so it's at the bottom of the list
Name the jpg? isn't that when the jpg is in the same folder as the video file?

I have a folder full of video files, nothing else... I don't use nfo files or save the thumbs in the same folder.
(2013-10-25, 21:28)THRobinson Wrote: [ -> ]Name the jpg? isn't that when the jpg is in the same folder as the video file?

I have a folder full of video files, nothing else... I don't use nfo files or save the thumbs in the same folder.

Didnt you do the export to separate folder like the other person mentioned?
No... because when I replied asking about changing directories for the import, I never got a response.

I backed up to a single file, because I was switching drive/folder locations so when I went to import, I'd need it to know where everything was moved to.

With a single xml file, I can open it into Wordpad, then do a search for "D:\Movies\" and tell it to replace-all with "D:\" so it restores properly. Which was mentioned in the OP and a few times since.
Exporting separate folder is the fast and easiest solution. It will export each nfo, jpg to each of your movie folders. Then all you do is move your stuff to where you want, erase your current library and rescan. It will use the exported information so it wont take as long to scan. Make sure you modify your advancedsetting.xml to re-import your watched status. Before your scan you can do the change i mentioned in my previous post to fix the duplicate issue. Once your scan is complete, simply erase the nfo,jpgs (just do a search for *.jpg and *.nfo). I do a export once a week and then sync the exported info to another location that i backup. This way if i loose my library, im not going to loose all my hard work.
Pages: 1 2