Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: LIRC does not launch or seem to recognize remote
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I just switched over to Linux from my old headache of a Hackintosh, and am trying to get it setup as a media server. I've been checking off to-dos and now have it running pretty smooth, but can't get the damn remote working! On the Hackintosh, I had bought an external/USB-based IR receiver, and set it up through Manta. I manually programmed the keys on my Logitech 520 remote to work like a 2nd generation apple remote (the silver kind), and got that working through XBMC.

With the Linux machine, I can't seem to get anything working.

Here's what I know:
- When I installed LIRC through the Ubuntu Software Center, it asked me for makes and models and I guessed. The second I hit "OK" it crashed and I haven't been able to ever get back into that "settings" interface again.
- I've putzed endlessly with the Terminal-based settings, using Wiki urls and posts here in the XBMC forums, all to no avail.
- My computer recognizes the IR receiver that I have hooked up as:
Bus 003 Device 002: ID 147a:e03a Formosa Industrial Computing, Inc. eHome Infrared Receiver
- When I make clicks on my Apple Remote and on my Harmony remote, I get the red light on the receiver, so it's "hearing" the commands. No clue if those commands are making it through to the computer or not...?
- When I'm in XBMC (and when I'm in the OS), neither remote gets a response from the computer

Any suggestions?
Running "sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh lirc" in a terminal should hopefully bring that device selection dialog up again.

The red light on the receiver just means that it physically works, it doesn't mean anything as far as how your computer understands it.
Awesome! That got me in. But now there's a hundred choices from "Remote control configuration," and I'm not sure which to choose. I tried the Logitech one. Nothing happens in OS or in XBMC when I press keys. So I tried the apple mac mini one, and tried that remote. Again, nothing happens.

I noticed, after putting in the Macmini remote, that upon running the command line negge gives above, Terminal says:

* Stopping remote control daemon(s): LIRC [fail]
ls: cannot access /lib/modules/3.8.0-32-generic/kernel/drivers/staging/lirc: No such file or directory
* Loading LIRC modules [ OK ]
* Starting remote control daemon(s) : LIRC [ OK ]

Is that missing file what's killing me? How do I acquire it? Thanks again!
Sounds like it's looking for drivers that are not included by default in Ubuntu. You should try upgrading to the latest Ubuntu version, it has a newer kernel and thus newer drivers.
I think ehome is microsoft remote. Reconfigure, run/type irw in the console, press some remote buttons. If you've selected the correct device you will see output in the console.
A little bit of progress. It ends up the /lirc directory missing is a common problem. I fixed it by following instructions at post #9 here:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1966976

The remote still won't work, though. I've tried the Apple MacMini, Logitech and Miro presets once I get into the control panel (via Negge's sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh lirc command above), and none of them seem to work... when i go into irw, i get nothing appearing when i press buttons.

any other ideas? you guys ROCK, by the way!
Just save yourself some headache and buy a Flirc Smile
I've been exactly in your spot for a long time, trying different remotes and receivers and never got it to work 100% without fiddling around way too much with different settings.

With my Flirc I got everything working as I wanted within 20 minutes, and I never need to set it up again, even if I format and re-install Ubuntu.
Follow this guide from step 11.
I'm not on XBMCubuntu, so those directions won't work for my system. I just ordered a Flirc. I'm sick of fighting it and my time is worth more than the $28 to just re-buy a damn IR receiver... Starting to think I should have just bought a Mac Mini with a couple of externals and not had to spend the last year fighting with the thing. I'm curious - why do you guys use Linux machines? What's the advantage, at the end of the day?
Better quality, open source, better hardware support in many cases, cheaper (I have 5 xbmc machines and a server, that's quite a lot of $ in microsoft's pocket if I use windows), better control over my system, little worry on viruses, command line control over ssh, standardisation, flexibility, I could go on.

Edit: I assume you did google the vid:pid and get the likes of this
https://github.com/OpenELEC/OpenELEC.tv/issues/200
Oy vey. I had *not* seen that article. I googled about a dozen variations of Ubuntu XBMC IR Receiver not working, but never stumbled over that page. Even if I had, though, it doesn't answer the key question (of *which* settings to set / where to set them to get it working!). I hate being a newbie!!!
Yeah I found it by googling for the string 147a:e03a which is the vendorid:productid. Every USB and PCI device has one.

I am a bit lost on lirc these days, I use a remote that doesn't need or want lirc. Only US$15 delivered anywhere in the world too! (No I am not a seller).