Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Can't get Global Search to work
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've got XBMC 12.2. I've re-installed, re-configured, re-enabled the Global Search plugin, re-added movies to my library, re-run the Library Update Program plugin, all to no avail. When I start XBMC and go to that Global Search field, or when I go to the actual folder with the files and click on the Search sidebar menu, it always says that nothing has been found. I'm sure there is a simple solution, I'm just not seeing it.

Welcome to the XBMC forums.

You've confirmed that your movies are actually in your library (i.e., MOVIES > Titles or VIDEOS > Library > Titles lists your movies)?
(2013-10-27, 20:20)artrafael Wrote: [ -> ]Welcome to the XBMC forums.

You've confirmed that your movies are actually in your library (i.e., MOVIES > Titles or VIDEOS > Library > Titles lists your movies)?

Not at first, but I now put some of them under "Movies -> Videos -> Library", restarted XBMC, refreshed the library, still same thing.

Post a screenshot that shows the movies actually in the Library (not merely an OS file manager view). Also your "2" only shows a scan taking place; it doesn't mean that the scan was successful in adding anything to your library.
(2013-10-28, 00:25)artrafael Wrote: [ -> ]Post a screenshot that shows the movies actually in the Library (not merely an OS file manager view). Also your "2" only shows a scan taking place; it doesn't mean that the scan was successful in adding anything to your library.

I got the "Get Info" screenshot, maybe it's clearer now.

This confirms that the 4 files are in Movies/Videos/Library:

From the console, showing the exact location of the files:

(2013-10-28, 02:23)Pizza Wrote: [ -> ]This confirms that the 4 files are in Movies/Videos/Library:

nope, not at all.
if you're in the xbmc library, it would display 'Videos - Title' at the top
Ok, I think I'm getting somewhere, but it's totally different from my understanding of a Global search.

I've just renamed one of my small video files to "Murder on the orient express". I don't have that movie, but the scraper found the file and considered it to be that exact 1974 movie. But, of course, once I click on it, my original video comes up. This is definitely not what I expected. Is there a way Global Search would just scan my library for file names and then match them to the search terms, like a regular search?

nope, globalsearch doesn't use filenames.
it uses the titles as they show up in the xbmc library.
(2013-10-28, 03:00)ronie Wrote: [ -> ]nope, globalsearch doesn't use filenames.

Ok, but it doesn't pick up 'house' or 'roof', or 'build', but picks up 'express' (because I renamed it) and gives me that file.
(2013-10-28, 03:03)Pizza Wrote: [ -> ]

Ok, but it doesn't pick up 'house' or 'roof', or 'build', but picks up 'express' (because I renamed it) and gives me that file.

exactly Smile
it searches your library and finds 'murder on the orient express'. so that's a match.
you don't have any movies in your library that contain 'house' or 'roof', or 'build', so it can't find those.
(2013-10-28, 03:12)ronie Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-10-28, 03:03)Pizza Wrote: [ -> ]

exactly Smile
it searches your library and finds 'murder on the orient express'. so that's a match.
you don't have any movies in your library that contain 'house' or 'roof', or 'build', so it can't find those.

Ok, so how can I get XBMC to scan the files in a given folder(s) and search that directory?

The "Library" you've been referring to is just your directory that you created within your "/Users/lbt/Movies/Videos/" folder. I'm talking about the actual XBMC Library and you had nothing in it until post #7 when you added those two titles to it.
(2013-10-28, 03:19)Pizza Wrote: [ -> ]Ok, so how can I get XBMC to scan the files in a given folder(s) and search that directory?

See this wiki topic: Video management (wiki)
Especially items 1, 2 and 4.
(2013-10-28, 03:29)artrafael Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-10-28, 03:19)Pizza Wrote: [ -> ]Ok, so how can I get XBMC to scan the files in a given folder(s) and search that directory?

See this wiki topic: Video management (wiki)
Especially items 1, 2 and 4.

Yep - I think I got it - I installed the justUseFilename scraper here - http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Vid...tom_videos. Thanks, man. Everything works as it should now.