Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So it won't drop/dupe frames?
Try it.
(2014-01-06, 06:53)smashr Wrote: [ -> ]Okay, so I've got my i5 Haswell NUC officially in production and thought I would share my details:
  • i5 NUC
  • 2x4gb Crucial
  • 60gb Intel MSATA
  • Openelec Nightly 16808
  • Onkyo HT-RC160
  • Sony KDL-52XBR9
  • Harmony 890 w/ RF

I realize the NUC hardware is slightly overkill for Openlec, but I figured I may want to dual boot some day. Here's the status:

The good:
  • Overall, production (wife) ready
  • Starts up with remote just fine <6-7sec
  • Plays Blu-ray vc-1 remuxes, 1080p h.264s, and all other modern content just fine
  • Passthru for all audio codecs working well.
  • Very responsive to the remote, even over the RF bridge. No unnecessary repeats
  • Shutdown from the remote DOES work natively. This is the Harmony "Power Toggle" associated with a generic Windows Media Center PC. Seems to do exactly as the button on the top does; gracefully shuts down openelec and powers off. I used no fixes to support this beyond the autostart remote fix.

The okay:
  • Did the autostart remote fix on the post 1, worked well
  • 1080i TS mpeg2 content is a bit blocky
  • Needed to add a 4sec delay between AV receiver start up and NUC start up with the Harmony remote in order for Openelec/NUC to detect the display and chose the right resolution.

The bad:
  • Shutdown from the GUI does not work

Also worth noting that I did not muck with any rendering settings -- basically the default took it. Colors, including black levels look good and there seem to be no skipped frames. Actually not to sure what decoder is being used.
Hi,
Do you use any delay (in Openelec or Harmony) settings? My Harmony touch doesn't respond as snappy as I thought it would...
I feel that my nuc is making to much noise. I was wondering what cpu load, speed and temp is when idle in menus?

Does any care to post your numbers?

I would be forever thankfull Wink
Just for info...

Celeron version on sight. Wink
In Check, Slovakia and Israel they are already selling it.
Search google for "DN2820 NUC"... only "N2820" will not give you a result.
http://www.smart.sk/intel-nuc-dn2820-cel...-sata-lan/
(2014-01-07, 18:31)Peppin Wrote: [ -> ]Hi,
Do you use any delay (in Openelec or Harmony) settings? My Harmony touch doesn't respond as snappy as I thought it would...

My harmony smart control is instant now, make sure you've selected "Microsoft Media Center Extender" as the device.
Harmony IR remotes have always been plagued with a small lag and do lack some snappiness for HTPC use.
(2014-01-07, 18:47)zag Wrote: [ -> ]

My harmony smart control is instant now, make sure you've selected "Microsoft Media Center Extender" as the device.
Thanks, will try that.
Speed, delay etc. all default?

Do you also use MCE keyboard for extra mappings?
(2014-01-07, 21:13)Peppin Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-01-07, 18:47)zag Wrote: [ -> ]

Thanks, will try that.
Speed, delay etc. all default?

Do you also use MCE keyboard for extra mappings?

I do... I have both "Microsoft Media Center Extender" and "MCE keyboard" to simplify setup.
There is one quirck. If the last sequence was used with "MCE keyboard" then powerOff/sleep (or whathever you have set under poweroff) doesnt work.
I did workaround on "turn off device" sequence in a way that I have added one IR command from "Microsoft Media Center Extender" device that I dont really use.

I have this on Win8.1, dont know if "quirck" is present under OE.
I am writing this here just because I think this quirck has something to do with NUC, but I am unsure for now... to be honest, I havent investigate further.
(2014-01-07, 20:46)mattchapman Wrote: [ -> ]Harmony IR remotes have always been plagued with a small lag and do lack some snappiness for HTPC use.

The new ones have fixed this problem, its just as fast as my old MCE remote with the correct device Smile
For those of you using a Harmony remote and Microsoft Media Center Extender, how are you accessing the contextual menus (c on a keyboard)?

This is just about the most perfect HTPC I could ever imagine. It's small, fast and quiet. Awesome little machine.
I just learnt the menu command from my MCE remote.

To save this thread getting derailed, there is a dedicated thread for the new harmony remotes here:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=177381

Haswell NUC + Harmony Smart Control + Hauppauge DVB-S2 TV Stick = PERFECTION!!
Under Win8.1 I have "c" mapped under registry to "guide" button.

The other way that you can accomplish this is that you just add another device, that is "Microsoft MCE keyboard" in the "XBMC" activity beside "Microsoft Media Center Extender"... then you just map "C" from "Microsoft MCE keyboard" to the "Guide" button.
(2014-01-07, 16:09)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]Try it.

So I tried it and there are slight audio glitches and more dropped frames in the start of the Star Trek blu-ray remux with TrueHD with "sync playback to display" turned on. I'll keep it off for now looks smooth as butter for me.
Yeah, passthrough has probably problems with that option.

Cause we cannot really do something, when the audio and video are slidely off. Passthrough you can only duplicate or drop package wise or alternatviley use the Audio Cock as source - bad for video :-)

Should work nicely with 7.1 LPCM :-)