Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Do you have the LCD enabled in the settings menu? If so disable it, NUC have no LCD display. Might fix it?
Hmm, good thought. The only setting I see is in the OE addon/program config: LCD/VCD Driver. And that was set to 'none' (I don't have an LCD display). I tried setting it to imon just for hahas. No change. Is there another LCD-related setting in XBMC somewhere?
I have a strange problem with the i3 nuc and the openelec nightly from 31-01-2014.
Firmware v23
SMB share

Whenever I listen to music, which is located on my nas, the nuc freezes after 15 minutes or so.
It's not the screensaver because I was still controlling it.

The music continues to play, but the interface is unresponsive and the connection with my android remote is lost.

I have to use the power button to shutdown the nuc. After that is works fine again.
If I don't play muziek it stays fine.

Edit: Yesterday it also was without music.
ssh in and provide a debug log.
(2014-02-04, 10:20)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]ssh in and provide a debug log.

Damn, he's already installing windows.
If we encounter it later on, I will make a debug log.
Has anyone had any success with Live TV on the NUC and using the VAAPI setting?

Mine works but every couple of minutes the screen shows loads of block corruption.
Stiff competition coming Intel's way.... better price point for more features and fanless
http://www.anandtech.com/show/7735/asus-chromebox-fanless-haswell-in-a-nuclike-form-factor-starting-at-179
(2014-02-04, 17:54)baltik Wrote: [ -> ]Stiff competition coming Intel's way.... better price point for more features and fanless
http://www.anandtech.com/show/7735/asus-chromebox-fanless-haswell-in-a-nuclike-form-factor-starting-at-179
Of course it is, since I just dropped $350 on mine.
16GB SSD, 2GB RAM more than enough for a nice net-attached XBMC or OE box. For half the price. Fuegh,
Keep in mind $179 is the celeron version of the Asus Chromebox.
This is a poor comparison, it should be compared against the $130 Bay Trail NUC DN2820FYKH

Will you be able to run your own OS on the ASUS or is it locked to chrome OS like many of the chromebooks?
(2014-02-04, 17:54)baltik Wrote: [ -> ]Stiff competition coming Intel's way.... better price point for more features and fanless

That would probably be a good topic for a NEW thread vs dumping it into this one. We don't even know if the OS on that can be replaced with something that will run XBMC. It also does not appear to have integrated IR which is a key feature for a media player, and to many people worth at least $50 by itself.
(2014-02-04, 19:44)gfb107 Wrote: [ -> ]Keep in mind $179 is the celeron version of the Asus Chromebox.

(2014-02-04, 20:07)mlrtime3 Wrote: [ -> ]This is a poor comparison, it should be compared against the $130 Bay Trail NUC DN2820FYKH

Will you be able to run your own OS on the ASUS or is it locked to chrome OS like many of the chromebooks?

(2014-02-04, 20:25)voip-ninja Wrote: [ -> ]

That would probably be a good topic for a NEW thread vs dumping it into this one. We don't even know if the OS on that can be replaced with something that will run XBMC. It also does not appear to have integrated IR which is a key feature for a media player, and to many people worth at least $50 by itself.

All excellent points. Moving on...
Not sure if this is an OpenElec or NUC issue, so I'm posting here first.

I have problems shutting down the NUC, sometimes it works fine, sometimes takes two goes, and then other times I end up having to unplug it. When I reading this thread before I think I remember someone mentioning something similar about it being a bios issue but I can't seem to find it.

edit: the solution posted was to disable Wake On Lan; not sure that's ideal for how I use it, is there any other workarounds?

I have openelec running on a USB, no keyboard or mouse attached, just using the official xbmc app.

The other thing I was wondering about is if it's possible to have audio outputting from both the headphone jack and through the HDMI cable? I can have one or the other but I can't seem to find a way to do both.

Thanks!
Hi All -

I recently got my i3 Haswell NUC. I'm on windows 8.1 PRO 64 bit, 8 GB of 1600 ram, 80 GB 2.5 mechanical drive I had lying around and everything is great in XBMC itself. I had to do a few tweaks to get my media center remote working but other than that all files play smoothly which is the important part. Suspend from the menu and power on using the remote all work fine as well

On to my issue. I was hoping I could use this as my all-in-one media solution. XBMC for local files. Windows 8.1 for other stuff like netflix, youtube, amazon, etc.

However, I noticed some playback issues in youtube and amazon instant video and I'm not sure where to start. Viewing HD Videos for amazon (ex Season 8 of 24) results in a jerky mess. Even worse, I tried SD content and it't not as pronounced but it's still there. I tried this in Firefox and Chrome and saw the same thing.

I encounter a similar issue with youtube on SOME 1080p hd videos. Big Buck Bunny plays flawlessly but other videos like the one below studder and jerk endlessly. The entire time the CPU hardly goes above 25% so it doesn't appear to be resource related.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6v2L2UGZJAM

My question is does someone know what might be causing it? Should I have gone for the i5 or would that not make a difference? could it be browser related? I have the latest Intel HD drivers from December 2013. I also tried the drivers from October 2013 and same issue. Has anyone else observed this?

EDIT: I should mention I have my display set to 60Hz in the intel display setting however I don't think this has any bearing on my problem. Also streaming netflix in superHD using the metro app is flawless.
Which CPU Core is over 25% only 1?