Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Great PQ here, I also had the Xtreamer Ultra 2 before. Could you provide some picture perhaps?
(2013-11-12, 23:48)lmyllari Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-11-12, 23:23)Clack Wrote: [ -> ]I can follow directions well but have no idea how to troubleshoot this stuff. Are you guys saying the newest nightly build of Openelec Gotham works with the IR sensor and remotes? Should I just do the stable release for now and paste the code I saw into some script somehow? Is there a total noob tutorial on this?
Start with the stable release and follow http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php?title=Autostart.sh to create a startup script with the following:

Code:
#!/bin/sh

# Work around NUC CIR issue
# see http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=176718&page=17 and
# https://communities.intel.com/thread/46259 for more information

modprobe -r nuvoton-cir
echo "auto" > /sys/bus/acpi/devices/NTN0530\:00/physical_node/resources
modprobe nuvoton-cir

# set RGB full range

DISPLAY=:0 xrandr --output HDMI1 --set "Broadcast RGB" "Full"

The first part should get your IR working, second part is only needed if your blacks are gray.

I needed the same with nightly build too.

Hi mate i tried the above autostart.sh script. It fixed my gray/blacks back to normal but i still cant use my remote.
If i ssh into my box and enter the commands it starts to work but after a reboot it stops again. Can it be something wrong running the commands in autostart.sh under latest openelec?

Please advice
Maybe I have made a conclusion about PQ prematurelly. At this time I have connected NUC to computer monitor.
If not today, I will try this at home on plasma.

Will report back. ASAP
(2013-11-14, 14:59)Crssi Wrote: [ -> ]Maybe I have made a conclusion about PQ prematurelly. At this time I have connected NUC to computer monitor.
If not today, I will try this at home on plasma.

Will report back. ASAP

The most likely problems for bad PQ would be that the display driver on NUC is not matching with TV for black levels (16-255 vs 0-255) or color depth.

These are very easy things to mess up.

If you set the color and black levels to what matches BD content (which is not full RGB by-the-way) it should look correct.
I have also tried the "limited" and the result in black levels were similar except the picture is more washed out.
But this is on monitor, will see perhaps today on plasma. Will report.
Panasonic VT-50 plasma (calibrated)
i3 Haswell NUC
OpenELEC 3.2.3 (Intel build)

Picture Quality
- On 16-235 the picture quality is washed-out. Blacks are gray.
- On RGB "Full" the blacks are crushed (Zero Dark Thirty helicopter scenes are almost solid black)

I haven't found a good setting yet. Wish this just worked.
(2013-11-14, 16:16)Alchete Wrote: [ -> ]Panasonic VT-50 plasma (calibrated)
i3 Haswell NUC
OpenELEC 3.2.3 (Intel build)

Picture Quality
- On 16-235 the picture quality is washed-out. Blacks are gray.
- On RGB "Full" the blacks are crushed (Zero Dark Thirty helicopter scenes are almost solid black)

I haven't found a good setting yet. Wish this just worked.
This plus the IR issue, I'm glad it's not out in the UK yet I would have regreted my purchase. if OE can't fix this issue then will have to have a look at alternative NUC or box, wonder if the BIX does it !
Were there PQ problems with the old NUCs on OE?
(2013-11-14, 16:36)Platypus2 Wrote: [ -> ]Were there PQ problems with the old NUCs on OE?

Yes
Are these PQ problems only present in OE or also with Windows/XBMC?
(2013-11-14, 16:26)cecemf Wrote: [ -> ]I'm glad it's not out in the UK

For you or anyone else in the UK, this is my dabs order atm (looking hopeful Cool )

Quote:This item is currently being picked by our warehouse team.
(2013-11-13, 14:58)arokh Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-11-12, 23:28)mstef Wrote: [ -> ]Hi. I wonder I can use single RAM module or should I use both?

I'm using one module, no problem. You lose dual channel, but even benchmarks can't see much difference with that anyways.

Thank you!
(2013-11-14, 11:12)alex84 Wrote: [ -> ]Got my haswell nuc i3 "IntelĀ® NUC Kit D34010WYK" yesterday. My first problem i noticed. I can't enter bios by hitting f2.
Updated to latest bios from intel "0021" but i can't get into bios. When i hit f2 the machine halts. Nothing happens it's just sits there. I can hit boot menu and bios update do.
Anyone with the same problem? Hoping i don't have to RMA it after 1 day lol...
I was having similar problems when I first installed my D54250WYK. Unplugging USB devices seemed to help.
(2013-11-14, 17:55)Platypus2 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-11-14, 16:26)cecemf Wrote: [ -> ]I'm glad it's not out in the UK

For you or anyone else in the UK, this is my dabs order atm (looking hopeful Cool )

Quote:This item is currently being picked by our warehouse team.

Yes but they don't have stocks
(2013-11-14, 15:16)voip-ninja Wrote: [ -> ]The most likely problems for bad PQ would be that the display driver on NUC is not matching with TV for black levels (16-255 vs 0-255) or color depth.

These are very easy things to mess up.

If you set the color and black levels to what matches BD content (which is not full RGB by-the-way) it should look correct.
That's how I'd also expect it to work, but I am unable to get the levels exactly right.

My preferred configuration would be 0-255 output from HDMI, 16-235 level from the decoder (no range conversion in colorspace conversion) and monitor set to 16-235 level input. This would allow for blacker-than-black and whiter-than-white (no clipping) and no banding. I used to have this setup with VDPAU.

I am currently having two problems with this. The HDMI output should have range information in the AVI infoframes (see http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/in...23643.html), but it doesn't seem to be working (even if it was, I'd still need to patch it to allow signaling limited range while outputting without range conversion).

Working around this by setting full range with xrandr, using 16-235 levels from the decoder and setting the monitor input levels manually I am still seeing banding (and I think the levels are off). This suggests that even with full range the output is not 1-to-1. When I have more time, I'll recheck this with RGB images to eliminate the colorspace conversion.

An alternative configuration (if the level signaling can't be fixed) is to use full range output. In this case, the colorspace conversion should use higher precision and dithering to avoid banding. I checked xbmc, vlc and mplayer opengl renderers, and I don't think any of them support this yet. [edit: mplayer2 vo_gl3 seems to have it!]

I've been using avshd709 from http://w6rz.net/avshd709/MP4-2c.7z to test.

(2013-11-14, 14:21)alex84 Wrote: [ -> ]Hi mate i tried the above autostart.sh script. It fixed my gray/blacks back to normal but i still cant use my remote.
If i ssh into my box and enter the commands it starts to work but after a reboot it stops again. Can it be something wrong running the commands in autostart.sh under latest openelec?

Please advice
After rebooting try running the script instead of typing in the commands. This will tell you if the script is ok.