Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Mine is working perfectly including true 24p and bitstreaming HD audio. My only problem is that the physical power button does not work any more. I have to use Wake-on-LAN or a remote control to turn it on. Really shitty job by Intel not making any statements about this issue or how to fix it.
(2014-06-22, 11:14)ahgee2 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-06-21, 11:24)lmyllari Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-06-17, 22:04)somy Wrote: [ -> ]Hi, just attach some images here.
The playback with banding issue (16-235 expanded to 0-255 without dithering, which I can observe in both Windows and Linux veriosn of XBMC):
There's already pretty good solutions for 16-235 output in Linux. For 0-255, take a look at https://github.com/laurimyllari/xbmc/com...ff151d7fc7 Wink

Talking of which ... and apologies for bringing this up again ... but the good Linux solution (16-235 TV, xrandr broadcast RGB full, XBMC 16-235) does seem to break XBMC's picture viewer - blacks are crushed, but not in thumbnails, only in the full screen picture viewer. It's as if the full screen viewer is ignoring the 16-235 XBMC system setting. See axbmcuser's experiments and post #3104 in this thread. Is there anything I can do to help (short of delving into the code, which is beyond my skill set)?

I assume this approach only works for videos. It is the video renderer or decoder that gives 16-235 output in 0-255 range. if you output 0-255 all other stuff will suffer because your display clip BTB and WTW.
In my life I only got it work once with my old HD4XXX graphichs card: both windows and video output 16-235, and for video it reserves WTW and BTB (i call it a miracle).
Today the best solution is to expand everything to 0-255 with dithering. XBMC EVR doesn't do dithering and therefore it causes color banding. LAVF and MadVR all does dithering for luma changes and the result looks much better.

(2014-06-21, 11:24)lmyllari Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-06-17, 22:04)somy Wrote: [ -> ]Hi, just attach some images here.
The playback with banding issue (16-235 expanded to 0-255 without dithering, which I can observe in both Windows and Linux veriosn of XBMC):
There's already pretty good solutions for 16-235 output in Linux. For 0-255, take a look at https://github.com/laurimyllari/xbmc/com...ff151d7fc7 Wink

That looks exactly what I'm looking for. I hope windows EVR renderer can do the same some day.
(2014-06-22, 11:14)ahgee2 Wrote: [ -> ]Talking of which ... and apologies for bringing this up again ... but the good Linux solution (16-235 TV, xrandr broadcast RGB full, XBMC 16-235) does seem to break XBMC's picture viewer - blacks are crushed, but not in thumbnails, only in the full screen picture viewer. It's as if the full screen viewer is ignoring the 16-235 XBMC system setting. See axbmcuser's experiments and post #3104 in this thread. Is there anything I can do to help (short of delving into the code, which is beyond my skill set)?
Has it been filed as a bug? That would be a good starting place.

I can take a look at it too once I have my video changes working.
(2014-06-23, 18:07)lmyllari Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-06-22, 11:14)ahgee2 Wrote: [ -> ]Talking of which ... and apologies for bringing this up again ... but the good Linux solution (16-235 TV, xrandr broadcast RGB full, XBMC 16-235) does seem to break XBMC's picture viewer - blacks are crushed, but not in thumbnails, only in the full screen picture viewer. It's as if the full screen viewer is ignoring the 16-235 XBMC system setting. See axbmcuser's experiments and post #3104 in this thread. Is there anything I can do to help (short of delving into the code, which is beyond my skill set)?
Has it been filed as a bug? That would be a good starting place.

I can take a look at it too once I have my video changes working.

Not yet filed as a bug .... the xbmc wiki cautions against filing bugs until you are 1000% sure it is a bug, recommending the forums instead for preliminary discussion. It would be great if you could take a look once you get a moment, since you are clearly the luma guru around here! I _think_ it's a bug ... toggling 16-235 affects video playback and the xbmc GUI and image thumbnails as it should, but not the full screen image viewer .....
(2014-06-24, 16:50)ahgee2 Wrote: [ -> ]Not yet filed as a bug .... the xbmc wiki cautions against filing bugs until you are 1000% sure it is a bug, recommending the forums instead for preliminary discussion. It would be great if you could take a look once you get a moment, since you are clearly the luma guru around here! I _think_ it's a bug ... toggling 16-235 affects video playback and the xbmc GUI and image thumbnails as it should, but not the full screen image viewer .....
Ah, I guess I should read the wiki more. Smile

Maybe a discussion in the (Linux?) support forum?

Limited range output from pictures needs dithering, and I need to implement dithering for other picture quality improvements I'm making - so I'll definitely look into it.

(2014-06-23, 12:27)somy Wrote: [ -> ]That looks exactly what I'm looking for. I hope windows EVR renderer can do the same some day.
.. legacy operating systems Tongue
I got the 34010 NUC and I am loving it. Picked up a Crucial M5 120GB mSATA for $40 and the rest of the parts I already had.

Anyway I can test true 5.1/7.1 HD audio?

Also, Any easy way to install zip files I downloaded on my Mac? I created a SMB share on my Mac but I can't connect to it when I try to access it from XBMC.
(2014-06-25, 08:00)jrdnlc Wrote: [ -> ]I got the 34010 NUC and I am loving it. Picked up a Crucial M5 120GB mSATA for $40 and the rest of the parts I already had.

Also, Any easy way to install zip files I downloaded on my Mac? I created a SMB share on my Mac but I can't connect to it when I try to access it from XBMC.
What OS are you running on the NUC? If it is linux, moving files is as simple as using scp.
(2014-06-24, 17:56)lmyllari Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-06-23, 12:27)somy Wrote: [ -> ]That looks exactly what I'm looking for. I hope windows EVR renderer can do the same some day.
.. legacy operating systems Tongue

Yes, legacy OS with true bluray support......
(2014-06-25, 08:41)nickr Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-06-25, 08:00)jrdnlc Wrote: [ -> ]I got the 34010 NUC and I am loving it. Picked up a Crucial M5 120GB mSATA for $40 and the rest of the parts I already had.

What OS are you running on the NUC? If it is linux, moving files is as simple as using scp.

NUC is running openELEC.
then on the Mac
Code:
scp file.zip root@openelecip:~/
Any ideas what I can check to see why I keep getting this low memory message?

The only thing I use my NUC for is XBMC, SABnzbd, NZBDrone, CouchPotatoe and uTorrent.
XBMC is always open, while the others are running in the background.

Maybe just a bug in Gotham? Im using v13.1
8GB of ram should be more then enough for what Im doing I would think.
(2014-07-06, 17:28)ThaDraGun Wrote: [ -> ]Any ideas what I can check to see why I keep getting this low memory message?

I have no answer, but I do get the same message sometimes. Usually, it's after I wake the system up from sleep. I have no resident programs taking up memory, just XBMC and usually Firefox with plenty of RAM to spare. I hit "cancel" and have never noticed any problem.
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windo...f43247b9e8

same bug? someone in this thread suggested that updating the gfx driver to 3621 helps a bit.
There's been a fair bit of discussion on this in the Celeron NUC 2820 thread, which I have 2 of in addition to an i3 4010 from this thread...

It seems to be that if you have XBMC set to FullScreen window, it can get this out of memory error (when the TV/AVR go off but the PC is left running, something weird seems to happen, i think people say its the graphics card driver). If you set XBMC to use a fullscreen window (fake fullscreen) you dont get this problem but what happens then is you sometimes get strange resolution/resizing issues where xbmc resized due toa a resolution change but then doesnt size back again when you switch the TV/AVR back on. Also when not using true fullscreen you can have problems where the xbmc window loses focus to the taskbar etc which isn't good.

I found that if I have my NUC set to sleep when I turn off the rest of the gear, and wakeup when I turn it all on again, rather than leave it on the whole time, I can leave it in true FullScreen and not get the out of memory error.

Failing that, the best promised fix from people is to disable the HDMI resolution change/notifications by taping up pin 19 of the HDMI connector/cable. I haven't ended up doing that yet but is what I would do next if the problem still happens or I want to leave the NUC on all the time. If you check that thread and/or google for this problem you should find a bit of suggestions. Google HDMI pin 19 trick as well
Just looked at using windowed mode and there's no way I'm sticking with that. I would rather reset and get rid of the error every once and a while. I dont want to see the top menu bar, the outlines on the sides and taskbar all the time. Looks horrible for xbmc.

I will check out the HDMI pin 19 trick. thx