Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have to use that mce keyboard device and also a second one called media centre extended or something similar. That one provides things like win+1/2/3 etc to launch taskbar shortcuts, altf4 to kill process etc, and also discrete power on and off. Though I find on my nuc the power on won't turn it on from cold boot, only power toggle does. But power off does turn it off etc. Also from memory my i3 and celeron nuc differ in this behaviour
You can fake PowerOn/PowerOff... and it works.
PowerOn is allways the same, since BIOS is expecting that for powering on sequence.
But PowerOff is controlled by operating system.
So, you can set some other sequence in the operating system to be PowerOff.

When NUC is powered off it will pick PowerOn sequence to turn.
When NUC is operating, then operating system will simply ignore PowerOn sequence and will respond only to your designated power off sequence to sleep/TurnOff (whathever you choose to be in OS).

Then you set/fix on harmony power method and leave PowerOn as is and set the other sequence you have choosen to be PowerOff.

Voila... it works for me 100%.
On which OS? How do you configure the power off sequence in Windows?
I have Windows... its in the registry... but you can do it very easy with Advanced MCE Remote Mapper Tool
Remember to run it with elevated (admin) and after setup to reboot.

I have assigned some special MCE sequence (yellow button), that I dont use, to sleep (my choice, it could be also poweroff) in win and this same sequence as poweroff FIX in the harmony power settings for this device.

Yellow button:
I dont use yellow sequence for anything else, since I have assigned some other key to yellow button on harmony, which is then binded to subtitles functions in Kodi.
So when I press yelllow button on harmony it opens me subtitles timeshift.

UPDATE: I dont use OpenElec at this time, so I dont know ho to configure OE for it.

Another UPDATE:
I have also put STOP playing in the power off sequence.
Why? Because if you turn off NUC/kodi when playing some file, then kodi does not remmember where it stopped.
So power off sequence in my case first tell kodi stop playing whathewer you play or not at this moment, and the next squence is power off (yellow as a sleep as my choice)
Hi guys,

I have i5 nuc haswell running windows 8.1 with all updates and ServerWMC and PVR client.
I have recently updated to Kodi 14.1 and and on some channels e.g SyfyHD whole screen was flickering green. This also was happening on some other channels during commercials.

I remeber that was an issue with grafic driver back in the past so i updated to latest HD5000 drvier from January and latest bios but it was stil there...

Finaly i have disabled the HW acceleration and changed it to SW that solved all green flickering...

Does anyone experinece same issue ?

Additionaly i had to revert back to previous HD5000 driver, because this latest one destroyed hdmi passthrough for me.. unbelivable ...

MM
(2015-02-05, 10:18)scarecrow420 Wrote: [ -> ]I have to use that mce keyboard device and also a second one called media centre extended or something similar. That one provides things like win+1/2/3 etc to launch taskbar shortcuts, altf4 to kill process etc, and also discrete power on and off. Though I find on my nuc the power on won't turn it on from cold boot, only power toggle does. But power off does turn it off etc. Also from memory my i3 and celeron nuc differ in this behaviour

So is there any fix for this problem?

Problem summary:

With Media Center PC SE device in Harmony devices:

- PowerToggle & PowerOff work fine.
- PowerOn does not.

I'd ideally want a discrete PowerOn/PowerOff working with my harmony smart control having spent a lot of money on this NUC.
(2015-02-05, 10:54)Crssi Wrote: [ -> ]I have Windows... its in the registry... but you can do it very easy with Advanced MCE Remote Mapper Tool
Remember to run it with elevated (admin) and after setup to reboot.

This.

When I first got my i3 nuc I could not get it to shutdown and startup. Only suspend and wake from suspend would work. Once I used the tool you mentioned above I was able to completely shutdown and startup my nuc using my harmony remote. I'll note that when I originally tried to map the buttons for shutdown and startup I was getting some permission denied error for changing the registry setting that controls access to the shutdown/startup commands. Once I got around this everything worked fine using my remote. I didn't have to change anything in the bios (still running the same bios that came with my nuc with default settings.)
You had a permission denied because you didnt start it in elevated admin mode. Wink
anyone have issue with that green flickering screen when using HW decode on some tv programs I have mentioned above ?

Maybe there is some work around ?

I would like to switch back to HW decoding because i have noticed that running graphical overlay makes a my CPU burn Big Grin
Those with Windows 8.1, how long does it take you to boot to desktop? Mine is ~35-45 seconds measuring with a stopwatch and Transcend MSA370 mSATA SSD 128GB as hard drive.

I'm trying to make it boot faster.
I will measure mine, as I'm on Windows 8.1 with kodi and plug ins and I'm sure mine is like 20 to kodi menu from cold boot.

I have 128 gb samsung evo msata and i5 CPU and 8gb ram but my ram runs at 2133mhz.

I have just installed my new fanless case the abel h2 tranquil pc.
(2015-02-14, 21:40)a5ian300zx Wrote: [ -> ]I will measure mine, as I'm on Windows 8.1 with kodi and plug ins and I'm sure mine is like 20 to kodi menu from cold boot.

I have 128 gb samsung evo msata and i5 CPU and 8gb ram but my ram runs at 2133mhz.

I have just installed my new fanless case the abel h2 tranquil pc.

Do you use XBMClauncher?
Yes I do and it works really well.
Hi all,

I know this issue has been covered a lot in this thread, but I need a bit of help with getting appropriate RGB range from my i3 Nuc (Haswell) running Openelec (latest version, Kodi) into my Samsung PN60F8500 plasma.

I've set RGB range to full in xrandr, and then set limited output in Kodi. I've tried every combination of video settings, and I've toggled between "Normal" and "Low" black range on my plasma (confusing names on the Samsung...). No matter what I do, I seem to either get crushed blacks or an image that looks like it has a white mist over it.

What the heck can I try to get things looking right on this TV? I almost get very mild aspect ratio errors at every refresh rate other than 60hz. I basically have tiny black bars (and I mean only a few pixels) on the sides when I run at 24hz/50hz, but it's fine it 60hz. This is probably unrelated to the RGB range, but I thought I'd mention it in case it's relevant.

Now having said all of that, at one point I had a Panasonic plasma (S60) that seemed to work with the suggested settings. However, at some point after upgrading from Openelec 4.2.1 even my panasonic TV didn't seem to look right anymore. I never bothered to go back and try to confirm/fix that, but now that I have this nice new TV I would love to get it looking right, as it's a killer display.

Any help would be MUCH appreciated!

Cheers,

Kris
(2015-02-15, 22:47)k_n_z Wrote: [ -> ]I've set RGB range to full in xrandr, and then set limited output in Kodi. I've tried every combination of video settings, and I've toggled between "Normal" and "Low" black range on my plasma (confusing names on the Samsung...). No matter what I do, I seem to either get crushed blacks or an image that looks like it has a white mist over it.

What the heck can I try to get things looking right on this TV? I almost get very mild aspect ratio errors at every refresh rate other than 60hz. I basically have tiny black bars (and I mean only a few pixels) on the sides when I run at 24hz/50hz, but it's fine it 60hz. This is probably unrelated to the RGB range, but I thought I'd mention it in case it's relevant.
If you want to use "Normal" (RGB 0-255) on the F8500 uncheck limited output in Kodi. If you want to use "low" (RGB 16-235) you can either use RGB range to full in xrandr and limited output in Kodi or leave Kodi alone and use limited range in xrandr. You can use the 3-White Clipping.mp4 and 1-Black Clipping.mp4 files from this pack of calibration patterns to confirm it's working correctly.