Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2013-11-19, 00:46)lmyllari Wrote: [ -> ]I think better multithreading should be coming soon, probably before va-api gets fixed. If I'm reading the commits right, it should already be in the OE nightlies - the recent ones that are giving only black screen Shocked
Nice heads-up!

Here's what I found: https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/3582/commits

Looks like it got committed 8 days ago to the XBMC Master. That means it should roughly be in the November 11th XBMC build. I'm not sure how often OpenELEC picks up the XBMC nightlies, but I'll check my build when I get home.

If I read it correctly, the way to enable multithreading is in the settings.xml file. If your settings.xml has the following tag, you can try setting the default to "true".

Quote: <setting id="videoplayer.useframemtdec" type="boolean" label="13440" help="36423">
<level>2</level>
<default>false</default>
<control type="toggle" />
</setting>
Gonna check that tomorrow, but multithreading works on Master HD, True HD and everything else, i just have problems with Hi-Res Audio DTS-HD :/
My Windows NUC seems to have been stuttering with Frodo every 15 minutes or so for a few seconds, closing and reopening video fixed it. Hoping the nightly fixed it, havent had chance to watch anything since I threw the nightly on there.
I was planning on picking up the Intel D34010WYK today for XBMC. Read through this thread and it seems there is a lot of problems... Would you guys still recommend this for XBMC? Any help would be really appreciated it. Thanks All!.
(2013-11-19, 01:21)Zerokenohki Wrote: [ -> ]I was planning on picking up the Intel D34010WYK today for XBMC. Read through this thread and it seems there is a lot of problems... Would you guys still recommend this for XBMC? Any help would be really appreciated it. Thanks All!.

I wouldn't recommend buying it unless you need to. It's not bad, but if you can wait, do that.
(2013-11-19, 01:21)Selene Wrote: [ -> ]My Windows NUC seems to have been stuttering with Frodo every 15 minutes or so for a few seconds, closing and reopening video fixed it. Hoping the nightly fixed it, havent had chance to watch anything since I threw the nightly on there.

Only got mine Saturday so haven't exactly had loads of time to watch it yet but last night I watched a good 90 minutes and didn't notice anything like this. When did it start happening, what video type?
(2013-11-19, 01:25)Selene Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-11-19, 01:21)Zerokenohki Wrote: [ -> ]I was planning on picking up the Intel D34010WYK today for XBMC. Read through this thread and it seems there is a lot of problems... Would you guys still recommend this for XBMC? Any help would be really appreciated it. Thanks All!.

I wouldn't recommend buying it unless you need to. It's not bad, but if you can wait, do that.

I really appreciate your reply. What would you recommend I wait for? I was just thinking about getting the D34010WYK today because I was able to get it for $230.
Received a D34010WYK a few days ago and am really impressed. Only had one hiccup, and will be replacing the SSD I bought (Crucial m4 32gb) as it was having bios issues, an Intel 525 should be here shortly. We play 20gb-40gb mkv/avc files with DTS-HDMA audio and needed something that wont seek for ever and be able to play 23.96 correctly. I tried OE at first and the blacks were a major turnoff as we use a JVC projector for the amazing black levels and the ability to do 2.35. Also wanted the ability to access Hulu/Netflix/Soundcloud for various viewing/listening options when entertaining in the theater.

In the end I installed Ubuntu 13.10, as our previous media servers have all been Ubuntu + XBMC and it runs perfectly. Boots in 5 seconds from USB and XBMC runs perfect, even using Aeon Nox. Going to be purchasing 2 more and setting them up the same way for our outdoor area and family room, all pointed to a synology rackstation. We keep it on 24/7 and XBMC open with Watchdog running to keep everything up-to-date. If for some reason XBMC isn't open, everyone in the house knows how to open XBMC. We control everything with Control4, so IR wasn't a big concern.

Next up: thinking about doing LiveTV.
OpenELEC needs some work. Windows 7 needs a graphics driver update to fix 4:3 green bar (Win 8.1 works fine).

Everything else is brilliant imho
(2013-11-19, 01:58)Platypus2 Wrote: [ -> ]OpenELEC needs some work. Windows 7 needs a graphics driver update to fix 4:3 green bar (Win 8.1 works fine).

The fixes needed are actually pretty darn serious... especially for the Linux/OE crowd. This whole thing is depressing... I've been awaiting the release of the Haswell NUC now for six months and find out that it has all these issues. Big let down but I guess on the plus side since it will take months to sort this mess out my money stays in the bank. Tongue
Just ordered an i3 model myself after the i5 sold out while in my basket Sad Seems like many running into issues are running OE, is anyone running full Ubuntu? I generally compile most every on my boxes to keep up with new code, I'm hoping to have fewer issues and honestly I'm probably not as picky as some. I'll certainly be happy to test and report on how my install goes - probably Xubuntu or some flavor of Mint will be installed. Replacing ion1 hardware in my case...

PS where in the world did someone find this hardware for $230?!
(2013-11-19, 01:58)Platypus2 Wrote: [ -> ]OpenELEC needs some work. Windows 7 needs a graphics driver update to fix 4:3 green bar (Win 8.1 works fine).

Are you running Windows 8? I just encountered the stutter again I'm sick of it already OE didn't stutter for me, but the blacks were messed up. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

(2013-11-19, 01:39)orion90 Wrote: [ -> ]Received a D34010WYK a few days ago and am really impressed. Only had one hiccup, and will be replacing the SSD I bought (Crucial m4 32gb) as it was having bios issues, an Intel 525 should be here shortly. We play 20gb-40gb mkv/avc files with DTS-HDMA audio and needed something that wont seek for ever and be able to play 23.96 correctly. I tried OE at first and the blacks were a major turnoff as we use a JVC projector for the amazing black levels and the ability to do 2.35. Also wanted the ability to access Hulu/Netflix/Soundcloud for various viewing/listening options when entertaining in the theater.

In the end I installed Ubuntu 13.10, as our previous media servers have all been Ubuntu + XBMC and it runs perfectly. Boots in 5 seconds from USB and XBMC runs perfect, even using Aeon Nox. Going to be purchasing 2 more and setting them up the same way for our outdoor area and family room, all pointed to a synology rackstation. We keep it on 24/7 and XBMC open with Watchdog running to keep everything up-to-date. If for some reason XBMC isn't open, everyone in the house knows how to open XBMC. We control everything with Control4, so IR wasn't a big concern.

Next up: thinking about doing LiveTV.

Are you saying that Ubuntu + XBMC has no color problems? I was under the impression the linux driver was the issue?
(2013-11-19, 02:40)Selene Wrote: [ -> ]Are you running Windows 8? I just encountered the stutter again I'm sick of it already OE didn't stutter for me, but the blacks were messed up. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

No, windows 7, just read that the windows 8.1 driver fixed the 4:3 green bar issue. What is this 'stutter' like? What happens? I'll see if I can notice it tonight.
(2013-11-19, 01:31)Zerokenohki Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-11-19, 01:25)Selene Wrote: [ -> ]

I really appreciate your reply. What would you recommend I wait for? I was just thinking about getting the D34010WYK today because I was able to get it for $230.

Where did you see it for $230. Inquiring minds want to know!!!
(2013-11-19, 01:39)orion90 Wrote: [ -> ]In the end I installed Ubuntu 13.10, as our previous media servers have all been Ubuntu + XBMC and it runs perfectly.

Are you saying you did not see the problems with the blacks in Ubuntu that you say in OE?