Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2013-11-24, 18:45)Selene Wrote: [ -> ]Has anyone gotten VC-1 To work? I loaded my first VC-1 and got colorful artifacts.

I never had any issues with VC1, with any of the gotham nightlies. Vaapi enabled.

Just tried again with lmyllari's built. It works fine as well.

(2013-11-23, 18:04)lmyllari Wrote: [ -> ]There is a build based on recent OE master (with Gotham) at https://www.dropbox.com/s/s4cqdn8vh324cp...r16417.tar

Automatic forced subtitle switching is broken with this build. It doesn't enable forced subtitles at all. Only manual works.
(2013-11-24, 12:04)gamble Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-11-23, 18:04)lmyllari Wrote: [ -> ]These should fix the grey blacks and inaccurate colors. There are three ways to configure:

1) GPU scaled limited range output: This is the default setting when connected to a TV. There is no need for any settings - remove xrandr from Autostart.sh to use this.

2) Full range output: This is the default when connected to a computer monitor. This can also be forced with the xrandr setting in Autostart.sh.

Image should look identical between #1 and #2. If the screen supports switching RGB input ranges, both should be signaled automatically - otherwise #2 is used. Leave everything at default and things should work right automatically.

There is another way for better quality:

3) Direct limited range output: This allow for BtB, WtW and avoids banding. Software decoding needs to be used (VA-API output is first clipped and scaled to full range). Configure xbmc for 16-235 output and no hardware decoding. Use xrandr to set "Broadcast RGB" to "Video 16:235 pass-through" (this allows full range output, but tells the screen content is limited range)

So with ur built i can enable va-api, set 16...235 in video settings, erase xandr autostart and should be good, right?
No, don't use the xbmc 16..235 setting with VA-API. It won't work reliably, and you won't gain anything over the option #1 above (VA-API output is always expanded to full range - it can be scaled back to 16..235 but it's already clipped).

If you want untouched 16..235, you have to use software decoding. Otherwise, let the driver and display sort it out (driver chooses 16-235 in most cases and tells the display - most TVs probably default to 16-235 anyway).

(2013-11-24, 13:02)Mangoes Wrote: [ -> ]This works! Angel
Only problem is that the XBMC on screen display messes the colors up again. When the on screen display opens (by pressing menu, or pause, etc...) the screen lights up and ~5 seconds after it closes the blacks are too dark again.

But if the on screen display is not used, the colors are fine.

I still have the "xrandr RGB full" line in the startup script.

Many thanks!
Are you using VA-API with the 16..235 option? I had that same problem with it.

Use the configuration below:
(2013-11-23, 18:04)lmyllari Wrote: [ -> ]1) GPU scaled limited range output: This is the default setting when connected to a TV. There is no need for any settings - remove xrandr from Autostart.sh to use this.
Note that you also need to clear the 16..235 setting from xbmc.

(2013-11-24, 19:59)Crssi Wrote: [ -> ]I have a trouble to make USB Live from this package. It boots into syslinux installation wizard. Sad
I have created the live system on an earlier OE version, and now I just extract the target files from new builds and put them in the .update folder and let it do the update.
(2013-11-24, 21:59)Mangoes Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-11-23, 18:04)lmyllari Wrote: [ -> ]There is a build based on recent OE master (with Gotham) at https://www.dropbox.com/s/s4cqdn8vh324cp...r16417.tar

Automatic forced subtitle switching is broken with this build. It doesn't enable forced subtitles at all. Only manual works.
I'll rebase to OE master and make a new build when I have time. I'll probably make a 3.2 based build too and share that in case anybody is interested.

Maybe I should try to make a pull request to get some of this into OE nightlies.
lmyllari - I'd be interested in an OpenElec 3.2 build with your video patches Smile

Been following this thread with interest and I've just setup my i3 Haswell NUC. Loving it so far - much better than the Acer Revo I'd been using up until now.

Running OpenElec 3.2.3 (Intel version), have incorporated the autostart.sh fix for RGB levels and to activate the IR receiver. All works great but I'm having the shutdown issues reported by other people. If I shutdown XBMC (via the remote, or using a keyboard to select the menu option) the NUC just reboots.

I saw that someone recommended turning on Deep S4/S5 in the bios. With that enabled, the NUC stays off when powered off with the remote, but won't respond to the remote power on command.

Has anybody made any progress or discoveries?
(2013-11-24, 22:24)lmyllari Wrote: [ -> ]Maybe I should try to make a pull request to get some of this into OE nightlies.
Do it! Smile
(2013-11-24, 22:12)lmyllari Wrote: [ -> ]Are you using VA-API with the 16..235 option? I had that same problem with it.

(2013-11-23, 18:04)lmyllari Wrote: [ -> ]1) GPU scaled limited range output: This is the default setting when connected to a TV. There is no need for any settings - remove xrandr from Autostart.sh to use this.

After having removed the xrandr line from the autostart script and disabled 16..235 in the xbmc settings the problem with the on screen display is indeed gone.

And the colors and black levels now look perfect to me.

You rock. Many thanks.
(2013-11-24, 22:50)Mangoes Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-11-24, 22:12)lmyllari Wrote: [ -> ]Are you using VA-API with the 16..235 option? I had that same problem with it.

After having removed the xrandr line from the autostart script and disabled 16..235 in the xbmc settings the problem with the on screen display is indeed gone.

And the colors and black levels now look perfect to me.

You rock. Many thanks.

And yes, please get this into OE asap. Nod

...This makes it so tempting to go back to OE, once it does!
(2013-11-24, 22:24)lmyllari Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-11-24, 21:59)Mangoes Wrote: [ -> ]

I'll rebase to OE master and make a new build when I have time. I'll probably make a 3.2 based build too and share that in case anybody is interested.

Maybe I should try to make a pull request to get some of this into OE nightlies.

Awesome. (gotham for me please).

And yes, please get this into OE asap. Nod
I have strange problem. Xbmc works fine. When i start mkv movie, worsk few seconds, and then stops. But not all movies. All those movies works on mac mini with xbmc.
Immylari, should the remote work with the 16417?
My remote from the Asrock Ion 3d Vision doesnt work, it woked fine with 16408 and the autostart.sh codes.

Another question about the 16417, what should the settings in System-Video-Playback be and the settings in System-Video Output?
Some say to remove 16-235 setting, do they mean disable it in the menu or remove it from the system?

To anyone who knows hoe to do the following i would be grateful for some help. I wanted to modify the offset for subtitles, read on wiki how to do it, but i do not understand the whole prccedure. How do i create advancedsttings.xml? I tried to make it Notepad++ and put the code in it and then saved it. I sshd the xml with flash fxp to the xbmbs /storage/.xbmc/userdata folder.

After rebooting and i go into subtitle offset it still is just -+ 10 seconds. what have i done wrong?
(2013-11-24, 22:12)lmyllari Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-11-24, 19:59)Crssi Wrote: [ -> ]I have a trouble to make USB Live from this package. It boots into syslinux installation wizard. Sad
I have created the live system on an earlier OE version, and now I just extract the target files from new builds and put them in the .update folder and let it do the update.

I have done the same way... but it booted then directly to syslinux.
Then I have recreated USB directly from this build and the result was the same.

Which version did you use as earlier OE, before taget->update?
@Imyllari:
I picked the color transform patches from libva-driver-intel upstream into OE. I am not convinced of the kernel patch. I pinged you in the PR. Will push tomorrow. Thanks for investing so much time to make OSS / xbmc / OpenELEC much better on Intel hardware.
Guys this sounds really great, amazed how quickly the solutions are coming, clearly a lot of hard work being put in. lmyllari, you're clearly doing the business on this and we all owe you great thanks for the effort.

I'm still running last OE stable build (not a nightly, as I'm new to this and a little scared of breaking something through lack of knowledge ).

I've been reading the threads, desperate to take the plunge and attempt to load the custom build with the fixes but I'm not entirely sure how (as others have said the USB stick approach may not work - and I've no idea how or what to do to manually update ). With this in mind, is it looking like the patches will find their way into a stable OE release any time soon? If not, I wonder if anyone could provide a few pointers on how to load the new version, using the manual update method that lmyllari mentions in his earlier post.

Finally, this power off thing, is everyone getting the reboot regardless of what option they select? If I choose shutdown, suspend, whatever, it just restarts ( which, on OE and an i5 nuc is pretty damn quick let me tell you!). I know there's the sleep mode in bios that could be enabled, but is this actually a solution to the problem or a sticky plaster? It sounds like a Nuc bios problem rather than OE?

Cheers
There's definitely a shutdown issue of some sort between OE and the NUC. The first time I choose Shutdown it reboots. The second time it works.

Though, at 6W in Suspend mode, there isn't a great need to shut it down. Wink

Everyone should press the +/- button for lmyllari -- to acknowledge a great individual effort for all our benefit.
Thanks alchete, I'll try the second time and see what I get, meanwhile - the suspended thing, I take it you need the sleep mode enabling for that? As when I suspend I just get a reboot?

Also, I'd love to improve lmyllari's rep, but I'm embarrassed to say I don't know how? (Said I was new to this).

Any hints would be great, thanks.