Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2013-11-26, 22:42)Mangoes Wrote: [ -> ]But with the gotham builds the xbmc gui refresh rate should be set to 23.98, otherwise passthrough doesn't work (and keep "Adjust display refresh rate to match", it will switch automatically and the sound passthrough will still work).

Same in Frodo.
(2013-11-26, 21:29)lmyllari Wrote: [ -> ]https://www.dropbox.com/s/99thzttxxdm9uo...r16441.tar is the build I'm using. It's based on the latest master, and adds my limited 16..235 passthrough hack. Remove any xrandr commands and don't use 16-235 in xbmc settings unless you know exactly what you're doing -> blacks and colors should work fine.

Best build for the haswell NUC so far. Beautiful colors and blacks. Outstanding work.

Only rendering problem is with light reflections (like fire reflections) which sometimes result in some corruption / blockiness. But you already explained why earlier. It's a minor issue anyway as it only seldom happens in some specific situations. Of course it would nice to have it fixed completely Smile
I haven't seen an issue with passthrough on frodo with r16438. I'm at 60 and don't have any issues (as yet).

r16438 has also resolved the power issue for me aswell. Poweroff is staying powered off Smile
Has r16438 fixed the power button not working as well? Can't wait to try!

-edit - Nope, power button still doesn't work and I still can't turn it on with the remote. I'm correct that most here don't have this problem? If I need to turn this thing on with a dos prompt the family friendly level of approval goes to about zero. Sad I wish I could contribute more and appreciate all the hard work from those who have.
Thanks for all of the thoughts on this thread. Receiving my D34010WYK tomorrow in time to play with over the holiday this weekend.

Most people seem to instinctively install OpenELEC. Has anyone gone down the Ubuntu pathway with this beefier device and had good or bad experiences with it?
(2013-11-27, 04:38)Clack Wrote: [ -> ]Has r16438 fixed the power button not working as well? Can't wait to try!

-edit - Nope, power button still doesn't work and I still can't turn it on with the remote. I'm correct that most here don't have this problem? If I need to turn this thing on with a dos prompt the family friendly level of approval goes to about zero. Sad I wish I could contribute more and appreciate all the hard work from those who have.
For anyone having trouble with the power buttons on the Haswell NUCs -- I realize we all want this to work properly, but as a viable alternative, just leave it ON.

The i3 Haswell (in my signature) draws 6W when using suspend mode in OE XBMC.

(2013-11-27, 04:38)Clack Wrote: [ -> ]Has r16438 fixed the power button not working as well? Can't wait to try!

So it shuts off and you can't turn it on with the power button? I imagine you're waking from LAN to get it back on?

I had these kinds of issues with S4/S5 enabled previously.
Thank you Alchete. I'll be happy with a workaround but unfortunately it doesn't seem that easy.

I set shutdown function to suspend, selected shutdown, and it behaved the same. Had to wake from wol, no button or remote control response. The power button remained light green.

I rebooted via wol, then selected suspend from the shutdown menu. Now the power button changed to a blinking blue but still no response from the button or remote. WOL woke it instantly.

Something is telling the NUC not to listen to the button or the remote.

(2013-11-27, 05:24)tehbrd Wrote: [ -> ]So it shuts off and you can't turn it on with the power button? I imagine you're waking from LAN to get it back on?

Yes. I've since disabled S4/S5 sleep but the issue remains. I did not have this issue prior to messing with the S4/S5 and shutdown vs suspend options.
This has turned into a great thread , if you use OE. I am not anywhere close to being able to do the stuff some of you are doing. So therefore I am going the windows route, as soon as my nuc arrives. I was wondering if one of the members here who is using windows could start a nuc/ windows thread for us wussies.
(2013-11-27, 05:27)Clack Wrote: [ -> ]Thank you Alchete. I'll be happy with a workaround but unfortunately it doesn't seem that easy.

I set shutdown function to suspend, selected shutdown, and it behaved the same. Had to wake from wol, no button or remote control response. The power button remained light green.

I rebooted via wol, then selected suspend from the shutdown menu. Now the power button changed to a blinking blue but still no response from the button or remote. WOL woke it instantly.

Something is telling the NUC not to listen to the button or the remote.

(2013-11-27, 05:24)tehbrd Wrote: [ -> ]So it shuts off and you can't turn it on with the power button? I imagine you're waking from LAN to get it back on?

Yes. I've since disabled S4/S5 sleep but the issue remains. I did not have this issue prior to messing with the S4/S5 and shutdown vs suspend options.

Try the defaults, I assume you're also on the latest BIOS?
(2013-11-27, 05:45)tehbrd Wrote: [ -> ]Try the defaults, I assume you're also on the latest BIOS?
I second this, I reset my BIOS to defaults, fixed the boot options and the latest build seems to be shutting down nicely.

Or maybe it's just random and it'll start acting up again.

(2013-11-27, 04:38)docpaul Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks for all of the thoughts on this thread. Receiving my D34010WYK tomorrow in time to play with over the holiday this weekend.

Most people seem to instinctively install OpenELEC. Has anyone gone down the Ubuntu pathway with this beefier device and had good or bad experiences with it?
I started out with Ubuntu, but had difficulties with it. OpenELEC has everything more recent (plus some patches that are not yet in upstream releases) and seems to work much better. They will trickle into Ubuntu too, but it may take a while.

I don't want to spend time hunting issues that someone else has already fixed. Smile
Quote:I started out with Ubuntu, but had difficulties with it. OpenELEC has everything more recent (plus some patches that are not yet in upstream releases) and seems to work much better. They will trickle into Ubuntu too, but it may take a while.

I don't want to spend time hunting issues that someone else has already fixed. Smile

Fair enough. Your work in this thread makes you both a gentleman and a scholar. Thanks, and I'll start with your OpenELEC build and the IR fix described in this thread.
My meager contribution to this thread:

For those who start with a virgin Haswell NUC and want to use OpenELEC, based upon the latest and greatest in this thread:

1) ensure your BIOS is latest version (0021): https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_...ldID=23337
1b) leave BIOS with default values
2) download/install lmyllari's patched OpenELEC: https://www.dropbox.com/s/99thzttxxdm9uo...r16441.tar
3) modify the autostart.sh file with the following content:

Code:
#!/bin/sh

# Work around NUC CIR issue
# see http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=176718&page=17 and
# https://communities.intel.com/thread/46259 for more information

modprobe -r nuvoton-cir
echo "auto" > /sys/bus/acpi/devices/NTN0530\:00/physical_node/resources
modprobe nuvoton-cir

Seems like soon, we'll be able to perhaps simply work with the dev releases of OpenELEC, perhaps as soon as tomorrow as a replacement for step #2.

Feel free to help modify the above.
(2013-11-27, 01:06)mstef Wrote: [ -> ]You can try, we can test, please.
I've uploaded a 3.2 with color/black fixes to https://www.dropbox.com/s/htrw49uctfo1d0...r15940.tar

Not tested, good luck Tongue

edit: full disclosure - I use the builds from git master
(2013-11-27, 05:49)lmyllari Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-11-27, 05:45)tehbrd Wrote: [ -> ]Try the defaults, I assume you're also on the latest BIOS?
I second this, I reset my BIOS to defaults, fixed the boot options and the latest build seems to be shutting down nicely.

Or maybe it's just random and it'll start acting up again.

Thanks guys. Yes, I'm on the latest bios. Reset and saved defaults, same thing. FWIW, upon shutting down the first time after the reset the shutdown hangs.