Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Installing a new version of XMBC
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello all,

I am not new to this forum however am a neewbie when it comes to XMBC.

I have just purchased a HTPC box (second hand) and would like to install a new version of XMBC on it. The spec of the box are as follows. Has anyone got a step by step guide on how i can acheive this. The primary function of the box at the moment is to stream live channels. Your assistance will be highly appreciated.

the specs of the HTPC are as follows:-

Graphics Card: NVIDIA
CPU: Intel Atom CPU [email protected]
Memory 2GB
1TB HDD
Thats likely a ION2 and already looking at kernel version there wont be any current version of xbmc for that, unless a clean install, for that Use Xbmcbuntu 12.2 intel_nvidia iso (or wait for 12.3) or Openlec ION 86_64 http://openelec.tv/get-openelec/viewcate...ion-builds
Hi uNiversal, Thanks for your reply. The box already has an XBMC version however i wanted to upgrade it to the latest version or erase it completely and do a clean install. Is there any "Idiots guide" on this forum on how to achieve this?
As I said to you, given that kernel version a current xbmc version will not exist for that Ubuntu version.

your only option is to download one of the two Distros that carry XBMC and install, as for how to exactly from get go to install, no there isnt per say a complete guide.

Look in google I found this for xbmcbuntu http://www.cenobite.eu/index.php?option=...&Itemid=26

For openelec you can google as well my limit is google for someone else once a year and you filled my quota Wink
What base operating system are you running? There are repositories for updated versions of XBMC but they depend on which underlying ubuntu version you are running.

As uni said, your kernel version indicates a fairly old version of ubuntu, but let's see for sure:

the out put of
Code:
cat /etc/*release*

will give us a good idea.
When click on the configuration, its tells me that the operating system is Linux 2.6.32.29 Ubuntu SMp
run the command I suggested please.
OK it looks like from a search on packages.ubuntu.com you probably have lucid or 10.04. That basically means you have a release issued in 2010, or millenia ago in computing terms - ubuntu has two releases a year so you are about 7 versions behind. Any solution will be temporary at best.

However this ppa may help: ppa:nathan-renniewaldock/xbmc-nightly

Try the following. If it breaks, do be prepared to do a complete reinstall - preferably to the latest LTS (long term support) release, which is 12.04 - precise. Even better install openelec! Realise that either option (complete reinstall of ubuntu/openelec) will destroy the media on your PC (ie movies etc) and the database. Shift your video files somewhere else and backup ~/.xbmc

Anyway, see if this works:

Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:nathan-renniewaldock/xbmc-nightly
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install xbmc xbmc-bin

PS this will get you the latest xbmc development code, so it in itself may be broken or incomplete.